After Party at Prince's House

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
After the awards we're heading over to Prince's place. Jamie Foxx has already promised me we're doing "Raspberry Beret" with Clooney and Alba. I am gonna get so drunk. . What's everyone else doing?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    After the awards we're heading over to Prince's place. Jamie Foxx has already promised me we're doing "Raspberry Beret" with Clooney and Alba. I am gonna get so drunk. . What's everyone else doing?

This reminds me of a Minneapolis story. way back in like 1989 or '90, whenever Prince had just put the New Power Generation Band together, I had seen them on SNL and realized that I knew the drummer. He was this huge dude named Michael Bland, who had been in a band my old band had opened for. He was a big name on the music scene since he had been winning the Best Drummer In the Twin Cities competition year after year for like 4 years running and I don't think dude was over 21 or so when he joined the Puple one.

ANYWAY....so one saturday nite I am meeting my girl and our friends at Nye's Polynaise Room to sing at the piano bar, maybe do some polka next door. I am parking my car in the lot adjecent to the bar, and who is hanging with his buddy in the little attendant booth but Michael Bland! Now this was funny for a couple reasons, but mainly because Michael was about 350 pounds, and always wore African garb, including those huge leather hats that were popular in the early 90s (y'know, kinda X-Clan-ish), so here he was sitting in the little booth with his buddy all scrunched in there, AND he's the drummer for Prince!

So I come through, and re-introduce myself and we get to chatting. I tell him how excited I was for him playing with Prince and how cool it was to see him rocking SNL. So he's like "hey, we're heading over to Paisley Park for an after party, you wanna go?" I was kinda stunned, and a bit intimidated by the offer (I was all of 21 and not very confident about being in scenes like that )so I politely deferred, but I have kicked myself ever since. I have had one other offer to go to Paisley Park after that, but I was out of town that weekend. My friend told me that that party went til 4am, with Prince jamming with all sorts of folks for like 3 hours.

Just thought I would share.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    i went to a party at paisley park in about 1989, but i was only 8 years old at the time.
    george clinton was there -- he introduced himself to me as santa claus.

• Options
    He lives in Toronto now, no? He does have ahouse in the Bridle Path and I've seen him around town a couple times (once at Cosmos) and once at Vaughan and St Clair Ice Cream shop. His wife is from here and is quite attractive in real person.

K in Canada.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just french kissed Frances McCormand in the bathroom. Jay-Z is really short. How does the saying go, "Liquor after beer, beer and after?" Shit I am in trouble.