this Maggot Brain LP

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Link I've never seen this...why does Maggot Brain on the label look like it was Photoshopped in with some shitty Simpsons font? I guess this didnn't have that front flap on the cover? How else is the LP out if it's still in the shrinkwrap?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    that white box on the back is suspect as well

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    yeah for real...I wrote this off as some repress but now that the price is climbing I'm wondering if I'm crazy and this is something I didn't know about.

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    and whats the deal with all the words around the skull on the back cover?
    :edit:
    nevermind..the same thing is on the inside of mine. definitely doesnt seem to have the flap though.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    REPRESS.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    yeah for real...I wrote this off as some repress but now that the price is climbing I'm wondering if I'm crazy and this is something I didn't know about.

That just means that in 2 weeks there will be a thread on here:

"I bought a copy of Maggot Brain on eBay, the seller said it was OG
    but now that I have it, my friends are telling me it's a boot!
    What do I do??"

eh that kinda sucks...i even emailed the seller asking them some shit but they never replied, which makes me think they know it's not O.G...

• pknypkny 549 Posts

That font on the label is mad suspect as is the UPC-sized white box on the back.

Also, the print on the back is curious, I have an OG with no writing on the back, it's all on the inside left gatefold, with a pic of the band on the right. Were there non-Unipak OGs?

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Also on second look of the label scan, it looks like dude photoshopped text out on the bottom part of the label.

That font is straight-up 1997. It's like the same way you can
    look at an album probably get it's release within a year.
    That font screams "post-house beat digger's repress!"

• i got an og for like 15 a few weeks back..and this one is surely a repress. and a bad one at that. damn.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The reason I am 100% certain that this copy is a repress is because I've had both the original and the repress before, and I know that the text shown printed in orange on the back cover in that photo is only on the repress. The original back cover is no text as the inside gatefold cover has that text in black ink.

oh man $81.50...someone's going to be super sad.

oh man $81.50...someone's going to be super sad completely clueless.

• oh man $81.50...someone's going to be super sad.

I didnt know this LP went for that much...this isnt the average asking price for it is it?

I didnt know this LP went for that much...this isnt the average asking price for it is it?

OG Funkadelics are incredibly hard to find this clean.
    Think of how often these LP's are trashed.
    It's like how clean Beatles OG's are worth $100 even though
    there are millions of them.

Too bad this one is a fraud.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    If the person is a collector theyw ill be pissed. If the person is looking for a clean copy to play, then they'll probably be happy. All in your perspective.

• if you look hard enough at the repress it looks like there are words underneath the label. dark blue section on the bottom half.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

No way. But they are hard to find clean with the delicate fold-over cover. Usually it's thrashed and holding on by a thread.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    OG Funkadelics are incredibly hard to find this clean.
    Think of how often these LP's are trashed.
    It's like how clean Beatles OG's are worth $100 even though
    there are millions of them.

Too bad this one is a fraud.

OG Funkadelics in clean condition are worth hella more than most any clean OG Beatles album. Most Beatles albums aren't worth all that much really, even if in great shape, because there's just so damn many of them. The guy who owns the spot I frequent says he wishes he had a dollar for every sucker that's called him saying they have a vinyl collection they want to sell and that it's loaded with Beatles and Elvis so they think it's worth a lot. The truth is that Beatles records are a dime a dozen except in certain instances where there's truly scarce pressings such as the Butcher cover, Sgt. Peppers in mono, etc. The guy says he's had so many people tell him they're expecting to retire off the money of their collection of original Beatles albums and he just shakes his head because he knows the truth.

Funkadelic OGs in great shape though? Those are a lot harder to come by. They didn't press as many to begin with and for whatever reason it seems like most copies of early Funkadelic albums I come across are all completely trashed. I don't even own a copy of Maggot Brain because 1) it's hard to come by in general and 2) any copy I've ever come across has been in horrible condition. I wouldn't pay $10 for most OG Beatles albums but I would and have paid more for clean copies of Funkadelic stuff.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Most Beatles albums aren't worth all that much really, even if in great shape, because there's just so damn many of them.

are sealed beatles albums worth much? probably not, but my aunt has a few sealed originals...seems like she could sucker somebody into payin some CA$H

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    Most Beatles albums aren't worth all that much really, even if in great shape, because there's just so damn many of them.

are sealed beatles albums worth much? probably not, but my aunt has a few sealed originals...seems like she could sucker somebody into payin some CA$H

Depends on the album, really. I mean, it's all relative. A sealed Beatles album could fetch a lot depending but people seem to think that all their Beatles albums are worth a ton even opened and played. It's not that Beatles albums are worthless, it's that people completely overestimate what they're worth. People think any old Beatles album is worth $20 or something when the truth is so many people had Beatles albums that few of them are worth more than maybe $5-10 even in great shape. Sealed though? Those could be worth a fair amount depending on the album and the particular pressing. With Beatles stuff particular pressings really matter. Mono versus stereo, etc, are essential in whether or not specific Beatles albums are worth anything. I'm sure there's websites that list which pressings of which albums are the valuable ones.

Really, I could be talking out my ass here but with Beatles albums I think the mono pressings are the sought-after ones. It's the difference between A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Beatles-Something-New-Mono-T2108-1stPress-LP-SEALED_W0QQitemZ4839413139QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"> this (and that's buy it now, who knows what it would get on regular auction) and A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-BEATLES-SOMETHING-NEW-SEALED-LP-ORIGINAL_W0QQitemZ4838049464QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"> this. I mean, $127 isn't chump change but most people would think any sealed Beatles album is worth a thousand dollars or something outrageous like that.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Maggot Brain isn't really that hard to find clean. I've picked up two in the real world fairly recently, and they're reliably available on eBay for the non-disadvantaged.

I bought mine with food stamps.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'd go so far as to say that the LP is common and if you don't already have a copy (and claim to want one), then you don't really like Funkadelic.

I think the weird prices for certain records like this on eBay may be due to them crossing over into the world on "non-collectors".

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I'm seeing a lot of these "duet posts" by Reynaldo and crink. Is this the birth of a new comical duo a la Abbott & Costello?

I'm seeing a lot of these "duet posts" by Reynaldo and crink. Is this the birth of a new comical duo a la Abbott & Costello?

It's a throwback to ye olden dayz. Before Rey got busy balling, and I with my vintage dead moneky collecting, we were a duo tour de force!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

It's a throwback to ye olden dayz. Before Rey got busy balling, and I with my vintage dead moneky collecting, we were a duo tour de force!

yep, money and taxidermy monkeys make your life take strange turns.

so true