did sandy nelson ever play on other dudes sessions

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
the dudes solo lp's are unavoidable, but how did he get this reputation of being such an amazing drummer (which kinda confuses me anyway since hes not really very impressive...)ive never seen him listed playing on somebody else's record...did he ever?

Comments

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    This is the bio they have on allmusic.com, which does list some sessions he played on. Mostly I think he got known due to hype and self-promotion. I used to play drums and I can't say I ever knew anybody that listed Sandy Nelson as an influence.

"Sandy Nelson was the biggest -- and one of the few -- star drummers in the late 1950s and early 1960s era in which instrumental rock was at its peak. He landed two Top Ten hits, "Teen Beat" (1959) and "Let There Be Drums" (1961), which surrounded his Gene Krupa-inspired solos with cool, mean guitar licks that were forerunners of the surf sound. Nelson had only one other Top Forty hit, "Drums Are My Beat" (1962). He ground out a quick series of instrumental albums in the early 1960s -- eight within 18 months, as a matter of fact -- with several other top Hollywood rock and pop session musicians. Nelson was not that great a drummer, although he was good. His principal importance is that he found a place for drum rock solos in hit instrumental singles, and the more reckless elements of his style no doubt influenced other musicians, such as surf drummers and, later, Keith Moon.

Nelson started to play rock'n'roll as a teenager in Los Angeles in the 1950s, forming a group that included Jan Berry, Dean Torrence, and Bruce Johnston, all of whom would be important to the surf and hot rod scenes a few years down the line. By the late 1950s he was playing sessions, including drums on the Teddy Bears' chart-topper "To Know Him Is to Love Him." After his "Teen Beat" became a hit for Original Sound in 1959, he signed with Imperial as a solo artist, and continued to work as a session musician. For instance, he's heard on Gene Vincent records of the time, as well as the Hollywood Argyles' big hit "Alley Oop," on which he also did some screams. Nelson's numerous solo albums, despite the assistance of top fellow sessioneers like Steve Douglas (sax), Ernie Freeman (piano), and Rene Hall (guitar), had a lot of basic and unimaginative instrumental rock, whether original material or covers of well-known hits of the day. As with Duane Eddy's recordings, however, these simple albums might have helped inspire aspiring musicians, as things to play along and learn with if nothing else.

Near the end of 1963, Nelson was involved in a serious motorcycle accident that necessitated amputation of his right foot and part of his leg. Nonetheless, he managed to resume his drumming career and continued to churn out albums, as well as some singles, of which "Casbah" (1965) is the highlight, with its wild splashing drums and frenetic middle eastern-surf guitar. "

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm probably a bigger fan of pre-Beatle rock instrumentals than anybody else here. I love Sandy's hit single "Teen Beat" (with that fakeout false ending that kills me every time). I also dig "Let There Be Drums," a "Teen Beat" copycat. Yet I gotta say that the one Sandy Nelson album I have (Teen Beat)isn't all that great, apart from one track ("Alexis") that is saved by a great recurring guitar lick. And to make matters worse, the title track was rerecorded - it's a little more sluggish than the single version I'm familiar with. But then again, he switched labels between the 45 and the LP, so for legal reasons he probably had to do that.

Now, who's gonna go to bat for Preston Epps???

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Mostly I think he got known due to hype and self-promotion.

I think he got known due to the fact that he had a few hit singles during the golden era of rock instrumentals. Not many artists I can think of who could get a start-to-finish drum solo on Top 40 radio (Cozy Cole? "Wipe Out"? My man Epps up there?).

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I think he got known due to the fact that he had a few hit singles during the golden era of rock instrumentals. Not many artists I can think of who could get a start-to-finish drum solo on Top 40 radio (Cozy Cole? "Wipe Out"? My man Epps up there?).

Well, he got known for one song, but then went on to seemingly declare himself the greatest drummer alive on all his albums. Like I said, I used to play drums and took drum lessons and never heard of the guy until I got into digging and collecting vinyl. Based on the hype on his LP jackets I originally thought he must've had some great following or done a lot of notable music things but it doesn't seem like that was the case at all. His albums certainly weren't horrible but definitely didn't live up to the self-hype on the album jackets.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    While not an answer to the initial question, I just
    want to say the Sandy Nelson albums Superdrums and
    especially Cheetah Beat have some very cool tracks on
    them - mostly by virtue of what covers are done (garage/psych
    hits like "Gloria" & "Happenings 10 Years Time Ago") - but they
    are pretty cool fuzzed-out instros with heavy drums...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

hey...the guy from the dj shadow video!