More bad news from New Orleans

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Last night I discovered some bad, albeit expected news about the school I attended in the 9th Ward of New Orleans. I started going there in 5th grade and would have continued on through high school had my family not relocated to California in 1984. I knew the school would be in bad shape ever since I saw the first post-Katrina photo on the cover of the Austin-American Statesman which was an aerial shot looking downtown from above an extremely flooded 9th Ward. I pulled the following information and photos from a blog done by Coleen Perilloux Landry:Holy Cross is the oldest boys' school in New Orleans. It is located on the Mississippi River a few blocks from the Industrial Canal which did not exist when Holy Cross was founded. It is the high school alma mater of my father (1906) and my three sons. My grandson will graduate in 2006. The winds of Hurricane Katrina did minor damage to the school. However, it was the break in the Industrial Canal levee and its subsequent flood that has rendered the school unfit for use. After graduation of 2006 Holy Cross will no longer exist at this location and more history of the city of New Orleans will be gone.[/b] The school will relocate but the memories will linger on at this place of hallowed halls and stately oaks. All of the live oaks are registered with the Live Oak Society. Thousands of Louisiana young men were educated here and until 1973 Holy Cross was also a boarding school. My father was a boarder at Holy Cross. It is with a heavy heart that I record this gallery. This is a look down a street that runs right into the school. My friends and I who used to stay after school for band and basketball practices used to walk down this street to an old corner store where we'd buy candy and whatnot:Here are shots of the neighborhood that surrounds the school taken on January 16th:The blog description of this photo reads...This barge broke loose from its moorings and topped the levee of the Industrial Canal, smashing whatever was in its wake in the neighborhood. It is known that two people died in the house that existed where the barge now sits:

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Most of you have probably seen this already, but here goes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z0UFaOGyhiw

• That is really, really sad.

My dad told me that he saw a similar barge in someone's yard in Sabine Pass, TX. It's hard to imagine a 195-foot barge in your yard, just feet from your house--especially when you're about 2 miles inland.