German Customs

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Must be some crazy muthafuckaz.... I'm getting guys in Germany asking me to send fake invoices and jump through hoops of fire. Just got an angry e-mail from a dude who said customs had his records hostage, and he had to drive 40 miles to present them with some fabricated invoice.

Comments

• yep.

Has strained relations with a couple of my long time customers. I think some cats are pretty discouraged to bid on stuff now, especially in quantity. One dude who used to buy nearly 50 records a month now buys less than 5.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    yeah customs is weird in other countries. i don't think customs in this country charges you or hold records but i always hear stories from people in europe saying they get charged like 40 dollars for customs fees if you mark the price of the record more than 50 or something.

• Just got an angry e-mail from a dude who said customs had his records hostage, and he had to drive 40 miles to present them with some fabricated invoice.

vinylherby?

yep.

Has strained relations with a couple of my long time customers. I think some cats are pretty discouraged to bid on stuff now, especially in quantity. One dude who used to buy nearly 50 records a month now buys less than 5.

do you put low customs prices ? if you put like 1 dollar a record there shouldn't be a problem...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    IMPORTANT:
    Please enclose an EXTRA INVOICE ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE PARCEL (and not inside), stated value 23$, the custom ALWAYS asks for that. I don???t mean the custom-declaration, yes a real invoice. The normal declarations on the outside of the parcel are not sufficient!!
    DON'T MENTION THE EBAY NUMBERS OR PAYPAL IN THE INVOICE.
    thanks for a hard packaging, I've got broken LPs in the past - terrible! to remove LPs out of the covers avoids seamsplit.
    Please confirm - thanks for your help,

• yes, always.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't know man, for me it's like... from the TSL site:

Customers are responsible for all import tax and duties for shipments outside the US. We will NOT falsify invoices so please, don't even ask.

Informally on ebay it's a little different.

• I thought this thread was about the German Customs, like them shitting on your chest when you meet them for the first time.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    hoops of fire...angry e-mail

seriously, don't these guys realize they're asking you to commit fraud? on an international level no less.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    hahaha! This brings back memories. I'm so happy that I moved to a small town. No custom duty issues over here.

BUT, when I was living in Stuttgart (bigger city in Southern Germany), the local custom duties office was ROUGH! First time I went there, two inspectors lead me to a small room without windows. There was a huge mirror. Like one of those examintaion rooms that you see on TV all the time. The two officers wore sunglasses (it was summertime, but still!). They were really big and mean looking. The asked me questions for over 10 minutes (speaking in a weird local dialect - imagine a hick from Alabama). What's inside the package? Would you please open it (I was allowed to open the package with a knife though - go figure!!!)? Is that a rare record? How much is it worth? Who sent it to you? Where did you buy it? How did you contact the seller? Why is there no invoice inside the package? How did you pay? How much did you pay? and so on and so on...
    IT WAS CRAZY and I was very intimidated. It worked out fine though. I claimed that my uncle sent me the records and that they were a birthday present. The seller didn't claim that the records were a present, but the officers had to believe my lame story. They "arrested" me for 10 minutes though. I felt like a drug dealer. I was sweating!

I moved to a different part of the city shortly after. The new local custom duties office was much easier to deal with. Still, they held back every second package or so. I had to drive 20 minutes to get there and had to wait in line with grumpy truckers from abroad. But the officers never asked too many questions. It was a busy office and the officers were way too stressed to deal with a guy like me. I still had to open my packages in front of them, but they let me walk off with my records without further questions. They got to know me and it turned into a matter of no importance for both of us.

Seems like the custom duty officers at the Frankfurt airport (that's where all the airmail arives first) open up suspect looking packages that are being sent to bigger German cities and as soon as they see something suspect they report it to the local offices. They reseal the packages and send them straight to the local offices, so it really is like a hostage. Some local officers took it easy, others didn't.

The first time I had to go to the local custom duties office in Stuttgart was just scary!!!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I thought this thread was about the German Customs, like them shitting on your chest when you meet them for the first time.

That says more about you DVD rental habits than Cherman customs. I know they do say Absoleewtly a hell of a lot.

hahaha! This brings back memories. I'm so happy that I moved to a small town. No custom duty issues over here.

BUT, when I was living in Stuttgart (bigger city in Southern Germany), the local custom duties office was ROUGH! First time I went there, two inspectors lead me to a small room without windows. There was a huge mirror. Like one of those examintaion rooms that you see on TV all the time. The two officers wore sunglasses (it was summertime, but still!). They were really big and mean looking. The asked me questions for over 10 minutes (speaking in a weird local dialect - imagine a hick from Alabama). What's inside the package? Would you please open it (I was allowed to open the package with a knife though - go figure!!!)? Is that a rare record? How much is it worth? Who sent it to you? Where did you buy it? How did you contact the seller? Why is there no invoice inside the package? How did you pay? How much did you pay? and so on and so on...
    IT WAS CRAZY and I was very intimidated. It worked out fine though. I claimed that my uncle sent me the records and that they were a birthday present. The seller didn't claim that the records were a present, but the officers had to believe my lame story. They "arrested" me for 10 minutes though. I felt like a drug dealer. I was sweating!

I moved to a different part of the city shortly after. The new local custom duties office was much easier to deal with. Still, they held back every second package or so. I had to drive 20 minutes to get there and had to wait in line with grumpy truckers from abroad. But the officers never asked too many questions. It was a busy office and the officers were way too stressed to deal with a guy like me. I still had to open my packages in front of them, but they let me walk off with my records without further questions. They got to know me and it turned into a matter of no importance for both of us.

Seems like the custom duty officers at the Frankfurt airport (that's where all the airmail arives first) open up suspect looking packages that are being sent to bigger German cities and as soon as they see something suspect they report it to the local offices. They reseal the packages and send them straight to the local offices, so it really is like a hostage. Some local officers took it easy, others didn't.

The first time I had to go to the local custom duties office in Stuttgart was just scary!!!

interesting story grope. that sounds pretty wack. i'm glad they don't do that shit here. i think you probably didn't have much to worry about tho, i think most people think records are worthless nowadays...

• NutsNuts 44 Posts
    In Norway, you get a 25% vat (including shipping costs) and a fee for about $15 for any object over about $25. So a record you won on ebay at $30 will cost you about $70 alltogether if you have to pay customs. Not that weird that people will try to get around, but asking for fake invoices is shady.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Asking for a false invoice isn't too shady, as long as the buyer wants it for less than the total amount, and as long as the buyer realises that they will only be able to claim for the amount stated on the invoice if anything goes astray.
    Not sure about elsewhere but in the UK if any item is marked as a gift or promotional material...No Tax...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I thought this thread was about the German Customs, like them shitting on your chest when you meet them for the first time.

BA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

interesting story grope. that sounds pretty wack. i'm glad they don't do that shit here. i think you probably didn't have much to worry about tho, i think most people think records are worthless nowadays...

the custom duty offices know that vinyl records can be worth a lot of money. in most cases, it's just impossible to prove the current value.
    one officer told me that they have to be very careful with antiquities, because there are some shady art dealers who send expensive paintings via the regular postal services. without claiming the real value. sometimes the officers hold back suspect looking paintings and call experts from the art museum. no lie. that's what a freindly officer told me. it's a very big issue for them.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm definitely glad I live in a country where
    the government doesn't hit the average citizen
    with a tarriff for importing/exporting goods.
    Seems a bit of a rip-off to me.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Excuse me, but what's the deal here? German customs are not weird, crazy or dangerous. Bottom line for sending records overseas (no matter in what direct) declare it as a present or promotional worth a doller/euro. Never had any problems with that. No matter if it was a single 45 or 100 LPs

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Excuse me, but what's the deal here? German customs are not weird, crazy or dangerous. Bottom line for sending records overseas (no matter in what direct) declare it as a present or promotional worth a doller/euro. Never had any problems with that. No matter if it was a single 45 or 100 LPs

I do that for everybody... tick gift check box and claim $5. But that's not enough according to this guy.

IMPORTANT:
    Please enclose an EXTRA INVOICE ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE PARCEL (and not inside), stated value 23$, the custom ALWAYS asks for that. I don???t mean the custom-declaration, yes a real invoice. The normal declarations on the outside of the parcel are not sufficient!![/b]
    thanks for a hard packaging, I've got broken LPs in the past - terrible! to remove LPs out of the covers avoids seamsplit.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I do that for everybody... tick gift check box and claim $5. But that's not enough according to this guy.

IMPORTANT:
    Please enclose an EXTRA INVOICE ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE PARCEL (and not inside), stated value 23$, the custom ALWAYS asks for that. I don???t mean the custom-declaration, yes a real invoice. The normal declarations on the outside of the parcel are not sufficient!![/b]

it's like i said. if german custom duty officers think your package looks suspect, they WILL hold it back. it has been a big issue for me. they will ask you for an invoice, no matter what the sender claimed. but you don't have to show one. tell that guy to claim that the record is a gift from his buddy in the US. he'll get away with it.

german customs can be weird. very weird. they made me feel like a criminal.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    German customs in Cologne are not weird.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    German customs in Cologne are not weird.

you're lucky! like me nowadays.

people in cologne are so nice! we should try to set up a European Soulstrut meeting in Cologne!

• Since the european union has the same outside customs, the same custom rules apply to all countries within the EU and not only to germany. Thats why I never order at Turntablelab anymore, they put the invoice with the real price on the outside of the package. Sandbox and HHS declare the packagges as promo stuff without and invoice, not even in the inside. So it's save to order from then to europe.