Latin Psych

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
So this past weekend I picked up a record that totally blew my mind.

It got me so sonically excited that I couldn't remember a LP that I heard from end2end that was this amazing.

Juan Carlos Caceres "Malon". It's the perfect blend of latin, soul, psychfuzz, funk, jazz, and rock. Every track is a killer.

After listening to it I expected the dude to charge me mad loot, but it was less than $40 US. Don't know if this is a fluke or what it goes for. I was willing to pay much much more for it. Anyway this sub-genre really does it for me right now.

Does anybody have any other "Latin Psych" LP's that would fall into this category that one could recommend to look for?

I know you guys have some ish. Aleit or KL or Cool Chris or Dante? Discuss.

Comments

• robert_murtrobert_murt 338 Posts
    Don't know the one you mentionned, but OS MUTANTES S/T should be probably fitting well to the description??!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

and the Modulo 5 LP that I posted a pic of a while back but can't find.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    Does anybody have any other "Latin Psych" LP's that would fall into this category that one could recommend to look for?

I picked up a very nice 45 by Los Cometas[/b] on DGA about a month ago over at the Groove Merchant. Really really dope fuzzed out El Salvadorian psyche shit. Not sure if they ever released an LP though.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Listen to a sample here:

www.jetsetrecords.net/listen/ram/used/jazz/162513715001.ram

www.jetsetrecords.net has a copy for sale. I recommend people with money to buy it right now. You will be happy.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    There are a lot of really great Latin psych records. Unfortuantely most are really rare, and people in Latin America have been getting schooled on the American/Japanese/European record markets so they are starting to charge top dollar, especially in Peru and Argentina, which in my opinion had some of the best psych scenes in Latin AM. In the meantime I think some of these have been reissued.

Some Peruvian bands to check out for in the Caceres vein:

Black Sugar

We All Together

Telegraph Ave

Traffic Sounds

Cacique

Gerardo Manuel y El Humo

Laghonia

Some Argentinian bands:

Almendra

La Barra de Chocolate

Kano y los Bulldogs

Los Jaivas

Los Gatos

Some Puerto Rican bands:

Bandolero

Challengers

Sonset

Space

Some of these are more straight ahead psych, or not psych at all, but good nonetheless. Happy hunting! Please let me know if you find any of these.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Listen to a sample here:

www.jetsetrecords.net has a copy for sale. I recommend people with money to buy it right now. You will be happy.

Says its a French record and genre = EURO GROOVE ????

Heard some of that Almendra a while back, good dusted guitar psych (really, a lot of the stuff dudes on here like and call 'psych' would be laughable to actual psych heads... for one thing horns usual render something too commercial to qualify)

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Listen to a sample here:

Says its a French record and genre = EURO GROOVE ????

Heard some of that Almendra a while back, good dusted guitar psych (really, a lot of the stuff dudes on here like and call 'psych' would be laughable to actual psych heads... for one thing horns usual render something too commercial to qualify)

Or a string. A string pretty much eliminates most lp's in psych heads opinions

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    That sound clip sounded like some straight latin jam. Wheres the FUZZ
    MAAAYAAN?????????

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Just roll one and stare at this for the ultimate in "psych."

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    That sound clip sounded like some straight latin jam. Wheres the FUZZ
    MAAAYAAN?????????

That sample is not a good representation of the rest of the LP. It gets fuzzy like a sweater.

• I'd recommend you Bandolero from Puerto Rico and also Abel, I think they were based in France, great fuzz latin psych.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    traffic sound is illllllll. i love lux
    same with laghonia

peru is where its at for psych forsure

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    not an expert on this subject by any stretch, but 1 LP i have that blows my mind:

• I've bought from jet set before.... actually often a little underpriced. Copped an okay shape quinteplus for $40????? Overgraded (said it was "EX-", it's more like VG) but still.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    not an expert on this subject by any stretch, but 1 LP i have that blows my mind:

YO....THIS LP IS

I've been after this for a LOOOONG time.

Here are a few...These are NOT psych. More like fuzzy & Funky latin rock.

not psych...

this has a dope version of "Crumbs off the Table" plus 3/4 other heavy fuzz workouts. will post audio later.

The Ladies W.C. reissue is also worth tracking down.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Why the two shots of the LP, Dante?