this bothers me, but probably shouldnt?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
i dont know what the deal is, but lately, i've just been hanging out with people or out doing stuff all the time. i seriously have no time to myself anymore, and while that does bother me occasionally, overall im just having a lot of fun and not really thinking about it much...the problem is, the thing i always hated about a lot of my friends was that none of them really seem to have hobbies...like nobodys into music or art or anything, and if they are, theyre not all that passionate about it.im just really worried that the more time spent away from digging and working on music (i havent dug in like a month, and i rarely even find time to work on beats anymore) the less im gonna start caring about it.so, should i actually be happy that im leading more of a normal, social life now, or should i actually be worried that i might start to lose interest in something i really love?its weird...

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

be like a leaf flowing down the river of life

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    BALANCE
    +
    FOCUS
    =
    MASTERY OF YOUR CRAFT

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    BALANCE
    +
    FOCUS
    =
    MASTERY OF YOUR CRAFT

damn, i'm seeing the truth right here.

ive been puting mastery over focus and i'm just left with balance....now it all makes sence, i need to regain my focus (aka get off the internet)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i need to regain my focus (aka get off the internet)

since that is how i spend my few hours alone each day...maybe thats a good idea for myself too...

also:

i'm not really that excited to make beats whenever im just going through my old records, usually the only time i really get excited about working on stuff is if i just got a new batch of stuff that i want to sample...is anybody else like this?

this is another main reason the beat making has gone down, because ive been broke and unable to dig (luckily got more hours at work)

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    don't force it ... take time off. You're young, spring is here, go out and fall in love. Let us old folks worry about time management and getting back to the beats (5 months and counting).

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    ako, i'm the same with the getting hyped off a new batch of records. it gets tedious going through the same records over and over. for me the most imprortant thing about being productive is ATTITUDE. music biz aint for everyone thats for sure but i'm certain if you love making music you'll get back to it. also, from the few things i've heard from you it seems you have a natural talent that took me about 4-5 years to develope. hope this helps, stein. . .

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    having been thru several alternating dry spells and beat-floods over the last 5-6 years, i can advise that as the seasons change, so will your activity, and your inspirado shall return when you least expect it. you do have the cool advantage of age. at 35, im still trying to make album #2, its been 2+ years since i pressed the first and ive only got like half an album in listenable form so far. life tends to whiz by when your busy living.

as for friends not having hobbies and such, i hear you. some people are just into hanging, ordering pay per view movies, eating snacks, and basically doing "nothing." thats cool, but if you are constantly thinking about beats and records and such and they dont relate, then youll be frustrated. i think that most peoples 'hobbies' are their houses, their kids, etc., and for them, fun time = distractions from day to day stress. ive got a close friend in that exact position, hoping someday to pick up writing again but totally doing the suburban dad thing now. on the other hand, sometimes youll come across guys who are super passionate about something that no one else is into, and you sort of see it from the other side then. like raising goats, or NASCAR, or fill in the blank. basically, people with like minds tend to hang together, but many 'hobbies' arent popular enough for most people to have access to fellow enthusiasts to chill with.....except on the internet.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    i dont know what the deal is, but lately, i've just been hanging out with people or out doing stuff all the time. i seriously have no time to myself anymore, and while that does bother me occasionally, overall im just having a lot of fun and not really thinking about it much...

the problem is, the thing i always hated about a lot of my friends was that none of them really seem to have hobbies...like nobodys into music or art or anything, and if they are, theyre not all that passionate about it.

im just really worried that the more time spent away from digging and working on music (i havent dug in like a month, and i rarely even find time to work on beats anymore) the less im gonna start caring about it.

so, should i actually be happy that im leading more of a normal, social life now, or should i actually be worried that i might start to lose interest in something i really love?

its weird...

Wait'll you get married and have a kid. "Free Time" takes on a whole new meaning...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Wait'll you get married and have a kid. "Free Time" takes on a whole new meaning...

TRUTH.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

i'm not really that excited to make beats whenever im just going through my old records, usually the only time i really get excited about working on stuff is if i just got a new batch of stuff that i want to sample...is anybody else like this?

that's the main reason i stopped sampling shit.

i get 100 times more stuff done recording everything live

you need to have focus man..

im married and i got a job but you have to keep the goals clear in the picture.

if you live in a hip part of town i recomend you move somewhere a bit off the beaten track.. less distractions.

i couldnt imagine getting sidetracked or distracted at this point.. i got a label to run and tracks to finish.

• the problem is, the thing i always hated about a lot of my friends was that none of them really seem to have hobbies...like nobodys into music or art or anything, and if they are, theyre not all that passionate about it.

Im going through this bigtime right now. my good friends ive known all my life but somehow they degenerated into blue collar sports fanatic alcoholics that do the same thing every night (I think thats what happens when you stay in pittsburgh for too long!). They used to like music and skateboarding, and collecting wierd junk but now its the exact opposite, so much so that they make fun of me for bieng into art or records. So im moving to a more encouraging atmosphere (chicago) with a bunch of my friends from college who are all artists/collectors/hilarious motherfuckers.

but dang!, you dont have time for digging? how much do you go out?

• The real trick is keeping yourself inspired.

The real trick is keeping yourself inspired.

Keep things around the house that always remind you to stay inspired, working and challenging the mind. i have a sketchbook that i write random shit in. and alot of the time i find myself doodling the same words over and over again. for me it works. it helps me get in the mindset of creating something unique.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    gusto's tips on staying inspired:

1. completely stop listening to music for a day, two days or even a month. That is harder said than done because music and distractions are all around us. Personally, my world is completely engulfed in music, so taking time away from it is really important to get that head clear again.

2. Listen to new styles of music. You'd be surprised how this act alone inspires you.

3. Travel. Nuff said.

4. Pick up a instrument and practice. During flat spells, this is the best thing to do to regain inspiration. It's amazing what new ideas branch from practice as well.

5. Get outside of the house and live! Music and art is a result of our life experiences.

this PSA has been brought to you by So-Glow. Let your soul glow!

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

2. Listen to new styles of music. You'd be surprised how this act alone inspires you.

Major co-sign! I can say my most inspirational moments have been spurred by challenging my own prejudices. Not only regarding music either, but also many other things.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    turning off the tv for a few weeks helps. You'd be amazed at having some time to think with out the easy out of turning on cable.. if a game is on just go to your boys house.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    i dont know what the deal is, but lately, i've just been hanging out with people or out doing stuff all the time. i seriously have no time to myself anymore, and while that does bother me occasionally, overall im just having a lot of fun and not really thinking about it much...

the problem is, the thing i always hated about a lot of my friends was that none of them really seem to have hobbies...like nobodys into music or art or anything, and if they are, theyre not all that passionate about it.

im just really worried that the more time spent away from digging and working on music (i havent dug in like a month, and i rarely even find time to work on beats anymore) the less im gonna start caring about it.

so, should i actually be happy that im leading more of a normal, social life now, or should i actually be worried that i might start to lose interest in something i really love?

its weird...

Don't stress over it. I have months were there isn't enough time in the day to hang out with all my friends and then there's months were they're pretty scarce. I often like bringing my friends in and just playing records for them. Drinking some beers, having fun.