Kitchen Sink! this Saturday in Toronto

missruckusmissruckus 49 Posts
edited March 2006 in Announcements
Saturday, March 4th:DJs missruckus and King-Stun deliver nothing but the goods at Kitchen Sink!, a monthly night of hip hop, funk, soul, dancefloor jazz, afro, latin, brazilian, dub, dance punk, electro, disco, broken beat, and everything in between!This month, we will be having special guest drummer Dean Wales (from Toronto afrobeat band Ultramagnus) playing a live breakbeat set!Every first Saturday of every month!10pm to 2am, no cover!at The Chelsea Room, 923 Dundas St. West (west of Bathurst, at the foot of Grace St.)

Comments

• if this is of interest to anyone, i'll also be drumming earlier that evening:

http://www.womensbookstore.com/mangotribe.html

• Options
    Chelsea room the one on the south west corner - right near that new Magpie place???

Kevin.

• yeah, that's the one. this will probably be our last time there though as we want to move elsewhere soon.

• Options
    Yeah, we did a tribute/fundraiser there for a girlfriend who'd be hit badly by a car (and since she is from Jordan, had no insurance) and the staff were the biggest asses one could be.

Hope your experience is better.

Kevin.

• so far, nope! we get paid shit even though we have packed the place (on the busiest night we had when the place was rammed, we got $70 to split between 3 people.. we suspect he was ripping us off and not giving us 10% of the bar), they are cheap with free drinks for the djs, and they constantly doublebook us, etc.. almost had that happen this time around.

i have since heard they have a rep for treating the djs like shit.. so far, it's the same experience for us. it's really messed up since the place is quieter on their normal nights (including weekends) than when we are there, but they don't think about how they ought to try and keep us there by not being jerks.. yeesh. all other former djs there have fled..

we're looking for another place soon.. only problem is, finding one that has their own dj gear cuz we're all too lazy (and car-less) to lug our own stuff around. :/

• Options
    Talk to the guy at Magpie. I'm trying to get something going there as well.

Kevin.

P.S. That might not be so good for you, as he has no turntables or a mixer. I'm even bring my own soundsytem in for the event. Finding a wrokable space is a tough gig these days.

• yeah, around the time i got the chelsea room gig, the former magpie owner called me to offer me one there as well cuz i had dropped off a demo.. but then i found out they don't have their own equipment. :/ i heard they switched owners so i called recently to ask about the equipment thing again and he said he's too new to want to get anything like that now but maybe in the future. damn. i like that space for a night..

if i had a car, it might not be as much of a pain to drag my gear there, but well, tonight i went to the chelsea room with my record bag shoved into the basket on the back of my bicycle.