I bought a printer from an old hag..is it broke?

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I bought a used HP 1210v all-in-one (old as hell I guess?)from a drunk ass lady at a yardsale a few hours ago for $15. She claimed it worked great,yadda yadda ya..and said if it didnt, she would give me my money back. I take it home and hook it up, and it says the black ink cartridge is low. cool. no biggie. It doesnt say anything about the color cart. I try to print something in black, and it comes out a shade of green, which I guess is normal for a black cart running out of ink. When I try to print something in color, it goes through all the motions and acts like it's printing...but when it's finished..nothing is on the paper. It is totally blank. I figured if it was out or really low on ink, my PC would tell me, like it did the black cart..right? Just to make sure it wasnt a print option setting that was the problem, I tried making a color copy, but the same thing happened. Is this thing broke or is this something simple like getting a new cartridge? I just figured if it needed a new cartridge, my computer would alert me(like it did the black). please help...I really dont feel like going back and smacking a drunk old lady up to get my $15 back. thanks.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    dude

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    its the ink cartridges. im sure shes had that printer for a while, and hasn't used it for that while. its been sitting in the garage and the ink/cartridges have dried out, which is why nothing is showing up on the color side most likely. the black is looking green for most likely the same reason.

okay, if the cartridge swap doesn't work:

1. return the printer, it's sounds like a piece of crap

2. buy a printer new with a rebate, you can cop a quality color printer for really cheap these days. Keep an eye out at the forums on www.fatwallet.com and www.slickdeals.net, etc.

printers are pretty cheap these days, and it will be worth it to have a working one if you are doing a lot of prints. I love my laser printer, which I copped for $20 after rebate.

• the plot thickens..

I found the receipt in the box from Wal Mart($100)with the bottom ripped off(where the date was I guess, since I cant find it anywhere else on the receipt). I saw a small pink Wal Mart sticker on the box w/ the date 1/15/06..so I think fuck it..maybe I can return this shit and get a bill back. I call them up and find out that pink little sticker means that someone tried to return it on that date(and failed obviously).

I guess this shit is probably broke, but i just dont want to believe it. I know this sounds petty as hell, probably. Even though it's old..it's fine for me, so I hate to return it if its just a case of needing a new cartridge.

oh well..what to do..what to do. my ears are turning red now. Here comes the anger.

oh well..what to do..what to do. my ears are turning red now. Here comes the anger.

1. keep yer cool, no need to get angry over a $15 printer
    2. try to return it to the woman, or walmart
    3. get a nice new printer

cheers,
    M

• oh well..what to do..what to do. my ears are turning red now. Here comes the anger.

1. keep yer cool, no need to get angry over a $15 printer
    2. try to return it to the woman, or walmart
    3. get a nice new printer

cheers,
    M

yeah i'm joking..i'm not mad. I just know how dealing with drunk people can be.

oh well..lets see how this unfolds.

• shit..I bet someone on soulstrut has an older printer(THAT WORKS!), sitting in their spare room, that they'd like to sell me for $15. RIGHT?

• Just went to the ladies house...

she wouldnt come to the fucking door. She hasnt even brought her crap back inside from her porch from the yardsale earlier(and its 9pm). I'll take her dog for ransom if I have to.

jk

• There's shitty 6-mo old printers on every corner here in NY. Cheaper to buy new than spring for the cartridges, I guess. Take a field trip up here and fill your vehicle with treasure.