dj Format

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
i just got formats new "if you cant join em beat em". i really like it. classic sample based hip hop. what do you all think? peace, stein. . .

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    dude has been slept on for a minute, no ayoyo

UK headz drop that science

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    It's great, the only bummer is that he used some polish ish on the Jurassic track (the bassline), that I always wanted to sample, but never got around to. The original track is extremely dope. His implementation of it is pretty good though.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    dude has been slept on for a minute, no ayoyo

UK headz drop that science

Hmmmm - from what I've seen, he creates a divide. Some like, some really don't - there's nothing new about his style and when he takes a 16 bar loop and does nothing with it, he's come in for some online flack.

I like the fella, but not a fan of his beats, thusfar.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    his stuff is hit and miss, sometimes good, sometimes very plain. He does work w/a lot of Toronto people though, through his connection w/ Mr. Keele (friendliest dealer in town).

I am a big fan of the pic disc from his first album. Well actually it's a megamix of tracks off the album done by Pablo from the Psychonauts (mowax fame). If you can find it, cop it!

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    He makes the stuff he likes & is not scared to say he's not down with most new hip hop. His style may be criticised for being retro but it's done well for him & he's a nice chap too.

• Options
    Yeah, he is cool guy...thoguh I never heard one of his songs/albums beacause they were made in this millenium.

K.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    It's great, the only bummer is that he used some polish ish on the Jurassic track (the bassline), that I always wanted to sample, but never got around to. The original track is extremely dope. His implementation of it is pretty good though.

Wazup chef-
    polish bassline ???... fender or upright ? jazz or rock ? Muza ? blue ? red ? purple ?...63 ? 71 ? 75 ? 89 ?.... can't go wrong with polishbasslines,... who needs people like Melvin Jackson, Cleveland EAton, Henry Franklin, Nino Ferrer, Buster Williams, Ron Mclure, Monk Montgomery or Ron Carter, when there is polish basslines,...actually FUNK is not from Africa (as many think), it was born manymany years ago in a little (funky) polish village with a name extremely hard to pronounce !!!!
    (trippin)... kom til at spise et par fl??deboller for meget her til eftermiddag...!

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I feel format. Quality. thats about it though.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    polish bassline ???

Actually upskiB, i used to have doubles of it a couple of years ago, but I traded it with Woody. You snooze, you loose

Polski jazz 4 life???

(trippin)... kom til at spise et par fl??deboller for meget her til eftermiddag...!

En ramme fl??deboller, og s?? en sk??l havregryn til middag. Mums

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I dig his beats, but don't like the MC's on his tracks... kinda like RJ's first album.

There's some good, classic sample based stuff coming out of Europe. Dynamo Productions, Boca 45, Skinnyman, etc. I just wish we could get more of it in the states.

DJ Ferrari

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    I'm sure he is a cool guy with great taste and great records but I find his album pretty boring. The two instrumental jams are alright but I can't listen to the whole thing. Too retro, too happy, too J5. But the worst thing is really the MCs...

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Out of all my years meeting/interviewing people while editing Spinemagazine, Format is without a doubt one of the nicest guys I ever met.
    Aside from that, I've liked everything I've heard him produce so far... and he did a good live show with Abdominal a little while back that was pretty memorable.

Hoping to get him to DJ at my wedding/blessing in August, but we're gonna see how his schedule is...

If anyone is looking for a nice under-the-radar Format production, check out the remix he did on that Runaways 12" with the Masta Ace vocals. Lovely stuff.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I am a big fan of the pic disc from his first album. Well actually it's a megamix of tracks off the album done by Pablo from the Psychonauts (mowax fame). If you can find it, cop it!

CO-SIGN! I always play that joint. I'm 50/50 on dude, even though I always check for dudes music I know it can be either good or "whatever".

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    polish bassline ???

Actually upskiB, i used to have doubles of it a couple of years ago, but I traded it with Woody. You snooze, you loose

Polski jazz 4 life???

En ramme fl??deboller, og s?? en sk??l havregryn til middag. Mums

YO B !!! The Snoozer is back (from snoozing)))
    Woody is a very lucky man,... if I had just one wish, I would wish for this ultra secretive deeply underradarish muzadelical piece of polish quality vinyl !
    Next time you're out grabbing polish candy save some for the snoozer, I'll trade you some nice fl??deboller, I still got a couple left...(with kokos).
    What you say homez ?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    i just got formats new "if you cant join em beat em". i really like it. classic sample based hip hop. what do you all think? peace, stein. . .

I saw it at the store. Too pricey right now. I'll wait until it pops up in the discount bin.