What y'all know about the OPTIGAN??!!

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
A friend just hipped me to this bizarre piece of equipment that Mattel put out in the early 70s. Basically it's like a casio keyboard except that it plays 12" discs with concentric grooves.. each key plays a different band to correspond with a different musical key. Kind of like an early sampler, I guess.Anyone ever come across these discs anywhere? If so, my friend is very, very interested in buying/trading for them. Hit me on the PM if you might know where to find some. Oh, and here's a link to a website with all kinds of info about the Optigan, including sound samples.Thanks,-d.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Magic Jackoff rocks his hard, I mean Optigan hard.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Magic Jackoff rocks his hard, I mean Optigan hard.
    seriously... it's Jacks off.
    i've got about 15 discs now, with an elusive 3 or so to go. there's one called "MOVIN'" that is straight funk. lost that one to a $102 bid on ebay. there's a weird band called "optigonally yours" that somehow obtained the master tapes of all the discs, and cut an opigan-only album. it's really fun to get wasted, flip the discs over and rock that shit backwards. there are some on ebay now.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    yes, it'd be nice to own one of those..there's also similiar type instruments like the chilton talentmaker and the orchestron, related to the mellotron i guess wich functions in kind of the same way

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    there's a weird band called "optigonally yours" that somehow obtained the master tapes of all the discs, and cut an opigan-only album.

Optigonally Yours is Pea Hicks from San Diego.

http://www.optigan.com/oy.html

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    more-cock-o molesauce on the optigon...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I FREAK THAT SHIT

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    i've gotta sample cd of some optigan shiet. i never actually throw it into production though.