South Florida and the Police (NRR)

SooksSooks 714 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Just saw this link to a news story floating around... news show sends undercover journalist into Police Stations to ask for a complaint form - outrage ensues. Thought the soulstrut massive might be interested. Transcript, plus two videos on the left hand side here.err... right hand side.

Comments

• i'm not a big fan of cops, but although the reporter says "most police stations around the country provide forms", is that the actual policy for Florida PDs? could it be that their actual written policy is that they have to request ID and determine the validity of the claim before giving up the form? if so, thats a whole seperate issue that needs to be addressed. but it would also mean that the cops are following standard procedure by not giving up the forms. i mean, the cops are definitely being dicks, but the report feels a little on the shady side as well... not trying to stick up for the cops or anything, i'm just not a fan of sensationalist yellow journalism....

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Well, they're pretty clear that you don't need to provide forms - I just thought that the way the guy was always stonewalled with 'show me some ID' and followed outside by that one cop who was fingering his gun saying "just take one more step" after only asking for a complaint form to be pretty telling. (But it's definitely sensational journalism - 'Police Station - Intimidation' is a hilarious title)

• Freaky. I mean, that's intimidating, especially with the guys who got pissed and followed him outside. I would be freaked out because they can do whatever they wanted to. Think about what shit goes on on a regular basis.

I mean, the guys that were courteous and tried to explain how they did things at their particular PD were cool. If they don't have forms that's not their fault, so you can't be mad at them for that. When you work somewhere you go by the rules they have. But those guys that got pissed... wow. Scary stuff.

But, that was what, 3 or 4 out of 30. Not great, but it seemed like most of the situations the cops were decent but they just didn't have forms.

I actually just assumed that all PDs have forms. I'm pretty sure they have them here. I think it's more likely in larger cities where this is a recurring issue as opposed to smaller suburban PDs though - like they had them in Miami in 3 languages.

Those few bad instances though - wow. Those were way beyond anything I would expect.

• Oh, and there are 2 other videos on there - the part 2 and a story about a lawsuit filed against the TV station by the cop who was doing the gun fingering. I would post the links but I found them thru the video search which is flash-based.

Go to videos and find the search and search for "intimidation" and you'll find them.