Columbia House Hustle Appreciation (NRR)

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Do you remember??? Before we had MP3s, we had Columbia House. 1990 and I was thirteen years old. I have fond memories of examining their magazine ads with its microscopic text. Oh the joy of reading the lists of all the greatest hits albums of the top Billboard artists of the last 20 years. Guns'N'Roses, Jesus Jones, Steve Miller, and a whole bunch of other crap. It was great. And then, once you ordered your 12 for a penny, you got the pleasure of rifling through their catalogues. I'm pretty sure my account went into collections before I got hip to their hustle.But I hustled back.Eventually I started ordering the 12 CDs for a penny to unoccupied houses in my town and then collected the small carboard package of goodness a few weeks later....13 and committing mail fraud...those were the days. gNAT

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Thats a really good hustle I was less illegal than ya but got them good.

I ordered naively off BMG when i was 13. I was whilin out 8 cds for 9.99$. You would order and pay for one get 8. and all you had to do was order 4 more and pay regular price. I went for all of the 'classics' (hiphop lil dude at the time) Biggie life or death, wutang, doggystyle,makaveli, etc got my 8 paid got my 4 others and i had no money...so i ...forgot about it...would get letters reminding me to pay..every month...then nothing for 4 months

I get one finally and I am scared to open it.

'Dear customer,
    we want to thank you for your loyalty but need to inform you that we are discontinuing our services due to bankrupcy' or something.

Bam! free shit

thanks corporate scammers

• There is a Columbia House DVD service operating right now. Same game. Google it and you can pick up the current legal hustle.

Just sayin.