The needle and the damage undone

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
You probably know this, by I have resurrected 2 records in the past week so I would like to share the knowledge.Let's say you have a raer that skips at one point or get stuck in it. You take a needle, a common needle, and lightly run it along the grooves of the problematic aerea. Most of the time this will take away the vinyl residue of the original damage, and will let the real needle/stylus to come through. Try it, it worked for me.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    thanks for the I will try. This could be key

• Hey Hey My My record restoration will never die - its better to burn out than to skip away !!!!!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Hey Hey My My record restoration will never die - its better to burn out than to skip away !!!!!

Fuck a skip, I'm not afraid of them anymore.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yeah, this works. I've done it before. Wouldn't recommend trying it on anything unless it's pretty hammered and you just want it for listening though.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    one of my records had a bad skip. one "rotation" was missing. the needle jumped over one groove. uhm, you know what i'm trying to say, right?
    anyway, i resurrected the vinyl by putting the needle in front of the skip and pressing it down (not too hard). i ran the record backwards (running it forward didn't help) and guess what?! the skip disappeared completely. you should try it. has worked for me ever since...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah, that's an old dj trick. You can use this mid-set and it works a good %60 of the time.