MP3 value??? (NRR, obviously) Microwavers HELP!!

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
***Disclaimer #1 - This is not a diss to anyone.******Disclaimer #2 - This thread is not for you if you believe that there is no value to MP3's***So I'm in the middle of trading mp3's with some several other dj's and I keep getting a bunch of stuff that's almost useless (low bitrate, ultra common tracks, strange and corny genres) to me and I'm asked to ass up some of my shit in trade. ***If you're reading and you think there's no value to an mp3, stop and go click on a thread started by AP.***Ok so I been meeting up with people, accepting shit via mail and swapping via p2p (RIAA, I see you!!!), but the shit I'm getting is ass. I can't use it. And then these dudes are gettingmad when I break it down that what they're offering just won't get them an equal amount of gigabytes of hot shit in return.Am I wrong here? Some of these shit, I been hand encoding and that shit takes time. I see the tags from these dudes files and they're like 128kbs and dl'ed. Not a good look for my dildo.What's a playa to do?

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Its hard to trade mp3 when you dont have an idea of what you are getting. I only trade (portable drive steez) with friends and take a look and somewhat select before i do it.

Try asking for a preview before..for the birate though..thats always a cointoss.

As a microwaver i feel you
    By the way i just made a huge setlist and seriously (although vynil is my friend) its so much easier to arrange displace change, test, mark time with mp3s

fuck those cats if they are trading crap..although at the same time not giving something in return sorta sucks
    Music trades for me go to people who can appreciate the effort i put in and who give me the same in return

• Kids today and their problems.

Go deal some drugs like the rest of us and you'll learn some of those negotiation skills.

• Build a few gigs (or more) or "common" type joints for the regular folks. You can sift through what they have and take what you can use. For the real headz, have another few gigs of the ra3r.

Good luck!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Build a few gigs (or more) or "common" type joints for the regular folks. You can sift through what they have and take what you can use. For the real headz, have another few gigs of the ra3r.

Good luck!

dude, WhAt????

• Build a few gigs (or more) or "common" type joints for the regular folks. You can sift through what they have and take what you can use. For the real headz, have another few gigs of the ra3r.

Good luck!

dude, WhAt????

To translate:

Play the same game. Download many gigs from soulseek and offer that up for whatever other traders have. For this, you have lost nothing and may get something you can use.

For the headz that have a lot mp3 you can actually use, give up some of what you have hand encoded from your shelves.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah, I usually end up offering some shit in return, but the problems come up when dudes want shit that's not available on p2p. I'm usually pretty specific in what I ask for, if they say they got common shit, I ask for instrumentals and accapellas only. I rarely ever get that because that's not some limewire shit in general.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it's going to be hard to convince people that their p2p downloaded mp3s aren't up to par if they've been playing out with them and haven't noticed in sound quality issues.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    well, you can change the sound values of alot (maybe %40) of some mp3's, but that's not even the point. I got common shit on lock (not a good look statement), I don't need any more. I need something original or a variation of the common shit. cats ain't offering that. Maybe they holding back on their hot shit too.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    This is why I rarely trade and don't fuck with P2Ps at all. It's too much work going through all those shitty MP3s. Time = Money. I just make wish lists of what I want and if I can't find it easily on vinyl or CD, I ask friends if they have it and if they can encode it for me. I think if you're "digging" for MP3s you haven't heard before in other peoples' collections, you should expect the same results as digging for records in a flea market: a few jewels in good condition and a ton of crap.