I dont think dub-ya has read much Huxley

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
A country which proposes to make use of modern war as an instrument of policy must possess a highly centralized, all-powerful executive, hence the absurdity of talking about the defense of democracy by force of arms. A democracy which makes or effectively prepares for modern scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic.Aldous HuxleyEnglish critic & novelist (1894 - 1963)

Comments

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    A country which proposes to make use of modern war as an instrument of policy must possess a highly centralized, all-powerful executive, hence the absurdity of talking about the defense of democracy by force of arms. A democracy which makes or effectively prepares for modern scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic.
    Aldous Huxley
    English critic & novelist (1894 - 1963)

The last paragraph in chapter 8 of John Stuart Mill's 'On Liberty' also carries contextual weight in the now and present as well...

Huxley's usage of LSD produced some interesting reads...

• We have no democracy in the United States !!!!!!!!!!!
    If anyone can prove otherwise, let me know by explaining in verifiable data.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    We have no democracy in the United States !!!!!!!!!!!

Have you read The Constitution & Amendments lately?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I don't think W can read at all. But Huxley - now there was a guy. Dude went blind as a child and taught himself to read braille in like 2 days. Then, taught himself to actually see again. Serioulsy - dude overcame blindness with the power of his mind. And he was married to a lesbian who used to share lovers with him.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    We have no democracy in the United States !!!!!!!!!!!

Have they?

• I think there are to many socialy-constructed myths and emphasis on individualism that manipulate the potential for the benefits of a positive democracy for all. Our collective mentality is not totally inclusive yet. Not that we haven't come far in the process. But the U.S.A. having the steepest level of economic inequality along with the highest level of poverty among all industrialized nations shows me that there is massive exploitation masked by many socially constructed myths from the upper echelon.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Before the internet, I used to read books.

• We have no democracy in the United States !!!!!!!!!!!

Have they?

The existence of The Constitution & Amendments is irrelevant when the "raw/physical power" lies in such few hands.

• A country which proposes to make use of modern war as an instrument of policy must possess a highly centralized, all-powerful executive, hence the absurdity of talking about the defense of democracy by force of arms. A democracy which makes or effectively prepares for modern scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic.
    Aldous Huxley
    English critic & novelist (1894 - 1963)

cos3ve.gif

• Before the internet, I used to read books.

Zeigler was a professor at my college. He is a very smart man, but a little eccentric. He was fired for sexual harrassment, but not given the proper chances to defend himself and his job. He ended up suing the University and winning big $$$$.

I agree with Dye and Zeigler that the elites run this country, not the masses. Seems pretty much common sense.