Weekly Finds (Tuesday and after)

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
The Gato is unexpectedly dope! Sounds just like a damned Pharoah record, including L.L. (Ladies Love) Smith and Pretty Purdie. Really feelin' it.Been looking for cheap clean copies of both the Street Lady and Healin' Feelin'.The Andy Bey and Idris Muhammad are doubles for your favor owing or trading plaesure...

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    andy bey. holler! need that one drewn

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    That Idris is radd! I'd be down if I didn't already have it.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    bought this yesterday. mostly real corny italian pop with the exception of one real moody tripped out tune. pretty cool song

• Options
    Found this at a lady's house yesterday. It was on her basement floor and had some paint on it (which seems to be coming off in the soak). Independent Canadian thing on a West Idian-based label. A side is county-ish while the B side is growing on me
    Moving

K>

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    got a skated copy of new birth's "coming from all ends" which i intend to rectify, immediately, and a nice copy of "birthday", if anyone, doubtfully, happens to need it.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    alright seriously ya'll stop it. Finding rediculous sh*t while I'm working? blah.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I went out monday sorry! I got a... I cant remember dudes name... the album that has "The Next Episode" sample on it, its a song called "The Edge"... got a vg copy for fity cent...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Ebay:

Eddie Fisher & the Next One Hundred Years (Cadet)
    Faye Carol - Classic Caroling (Lily)
    Frank Foster - The Loud Minority (Mainstream)

(Free!) from Crink:

Gerry Olds Trio LP

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    In the mail today, third time was a charm on eBay, this time I won, and got it for "my price," under $10:

Really a strong record all the way through, west coast soul rock, mostly covers, has a rock version of Parliament's "(I Wanna) Testify!" Gets listed as "psych" although the psych touches are minor...highlight of the whole thing is the version of the Miracles' "Mickey's Monkey," where they pull out all the stops, dude is screaming and the organ/guitars are wailing, it is seriously sick, sounds like The Stooges do Motown!! Oh, and there's a drum break on "99 1/2"

Hit a local spot today at lunch, only picked up one thing, but not bad for a "one record" purchase, especially an OG for $10:

Not quite as promising as it looks, and it starts out real strong on a Cymande-style tip but doesn't maintain all the way through, but why nitpick cause it's still a dope record, and I was pretty surprised to just see an OG sitting in the bin of the store it was at (and for $10 when they charge $15 for late 70's Detroit Emeralds records...)

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    found these today

baby cortez - the isley brothers way lp

sndtrk to Aguirre the Wrath of God (excellent werner herzog film) by popol vuh

osibisa 45" move on b/w survival

soulful strings 45" - burning spear

(sick ass flutish track)

robert parker 45" - secret service

tami lynn 45" - thats understanding

(very nice long break) ill have to post this later

• crashcoursecrashcourse 214 Posts
    BBK's Expedition - Upship's Creek. 70s funky private press, thats got that look. and breaks
    the Generation Gap - up up and away. psych exploito w/ more versions of animated egg /astro sounds tunes
    and a few 12"ers

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

brilliant film. you'll never look at monkeys the same way.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

It is tight you found that! Aleit, have you seen My Best Fiend, the documentary about Herzog and Kinski working together? Ill footage of filming Aguirre. Best shit on there, though, is about Fitzcarraldo and how they totally did pull that boat over a mountain and people straight up died doing that shit

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts

It is tight you found that!

i know man...i was mad stoked..i think i was verbally overjoyous in the store (ahahaahahah) ive been wanting that for so long now.. 1st track is phenomenal

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    all for $60

Mighty Diamonds - Deeper Roots (front line/ promo copy w/ an additional dub LP)
    Mighty Diamonds - Right Time (Virgin)
    Mighty Diamonds - Ice on Fire (Virgin)
    Max Romeo & The Upsetters - War ina Babylon
    Burning Spear - Man in the Hills (island)
    Burning Spear - Dry and Heavy
    Jacob Miller/Ray I - Natty Christmas (top ranking)
    Soul Syndicate - Was, Is, Always (epiphany)
    U-Roy - Dread in a babylon (virgin)
    Black Uhuru - s/t (mango)
    V/A - The Front Line II (front line)
    V/A - The Front Line III (front line)
    Toots & The Maytals - Just Like That
    Jacob Miller - Dread, Dread (UA)
    Ken Boothe - Live Good (UA)
    Max Romeo - Open the Iron Gate (UA)
    Delroy Wilson - Best of (UA)
    Pablo Moses - I Love I bring (UA)
    Dobby Dobson - Oh God, Are You Satisfied (UA)
    Horace Andy - Best Of (UA)
    V/A - New & Old Sounds (UA)
    Meditations - Message from the Meditations (UA)
    The Heptones - I'm in Love with You (UA)
    Jerry Gonzalez - Ya Yo me Cure (American Clave)
    Milton Nascimento - s/t (A&M)

and a copy of Eddie Henderson - Heritage on Blue Note

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

It is tight you found that! Aleit, have you seen My Best Fiend, the documentary about Herzog and Kinski working together? Ill footage of filming Aguirre. Best shit on there, though, is about Fitzcarraldo and how they totally did pull that boat over a mountain and people straight up died doing that shit

yeah, i've seen MY Best Fiend... i'm pretty sure there was another movie devoted entirely to the filming of Fitzcarraldo- i know i saw it, forget the name. I've been a huge Herzog fan for a long time and probably seen 3/4 of his films- some of which, I think are incredibly problematic- but provocative nonetheless. He did a very interesting and hilarious interview on Fresh Air a while back... hilarious because Terry Gross can just say the stupidest shit sometimes and get put on blast by her guests. Herzog is such a drama queen, but fucking intense.

• sndtrk to Aguirre the Wrath of God (excellent werner herzog film) by popol vuh

yeah, i've seen MY Best Fiend... i'm pretty sure there was another movie devoted entirely to the filming of Fitzcarraldo- i know i saw it, forget the name. I've been a huge Herzog fan for a long time and probably seen 3/4 of his films- some of which, I think are incredibly problematic- but provocative nonetheless. He did a very interesting and hilarious interview on Fresh Air a while back... hilarious because Terry Gross can just say the stupidest shit sometimes and get put on blast by her guests. Herzog is such a drama queen, but fucking intense.

Burden of Dreams by Les Blank. It's a sick documentary. In it, hear Herzog try to figure out how many lives of the local actors it may cost to continue pulling the boat over the land. It's fucked up. That and Hearts of Darkness (about the filming of Apocolypse Now) are probably the best film docs I've ever seen.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    all for $60

Mighty Diamonds - Deeper Roots (front line/ promo copy w/ an additional dub LP)
    Mighty Diamonds - Right Time (Virgin)
    Mighty Diamonds - Ice on Fire (Virgin)
    Max Romeo & The Upsetters - War ina Babylon
    Burning Spear - Man in the Hills (island)
    Burning Spear - Dry and Heavy
    Jacob Miller/Ray I - Natty Christmas (top ranking)
    Soul Syndicate - Was, Is, Always (epiphany)
    U-Roy - Dread in a babylon (virgin)
    Black Uhuru - s/t (mango)
    V/A - The Front Line II (front line)
    V/A - The Front Line III (front line)
    Toots & The Maytals - Just Like That
    Jacob Miller - Dread, Dread (UA)
    Ken Boothe - Live Good (UA)
    Max Romeo - Open the Iron Gate (UA)
    Delroy Wilson - Best of (UA)
    Pablo Moses - I Love I bring (UA)
    Dobby Dobson - Oh God, Are You Satisfied (UA)
    Horace Andy - Best Of (UA)
    V/A - New & Old Sounds (UA)
    Meditations - Message from the Meditations (UA)
    The Heptones - I'm in Love with You (UA)
    Jerry Gonzalez - Ya Yo me Cure (American Clave)
    Milton Nascimento - s/t (A&M)

and a copy of Eddie Henderson - Heritage on Blue Note

damn! 60$? That is a pretty sweet deal dude.

I bougth this for 34 eur:

Sarah Vaughn - Swinging Easy (emarcy)
    Quincy Jones - You got it bad girl ((a&m)
    James Brown - Body Heat (polydor)
    Jimmy Castor Bunch - Troglodyte 45' (rca)
    Jorge Ben - 10 anos depois (philips)
    LL Cool J - Bad (def jam)
    Herbie Hancock - Takin'off (blue note)
    Herp Albert presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 (a&m)

Burden of Dreams by Les Blank. It's a sick documentary. In it, hear Herzog try to figure out how many lives of the local actors it may cost to continue pulling the boat over the land. It's fucked up. That and Hearts of Darkness (about the filming of Apocolypse Now) are probably the best film docs I've ever seen.

Oh man! That is some shit. I need to see that.
    Also, Herzog+Teri Gross=you know, I am not sure what it equals. But something I want to listen to

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    if yer really into herzog you should check out Incident At Loch Ness.. shit is dope.. Herzog gets to finally be the action star.

there's a slo a very weird lil doc called "werner herzog eats his shoe" which is just that... it was the result of a bet he made with one of his former assistants.

• there's a slo a very weird lil doc called "werner herzog eats his shoe" which is just that... it was the result of a bet he made with one of his former assistants.

I think Les Blank did that one too.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Also, Herzog+Teri Gross=you know, I am not sure what it equals. But something I want to listen to

Herzog shares some pretty interesting anecdotes.

One about promising his cast that he would run full speed into a quite painful cactus as a reward for completing a film on time. He came through on that promise.

Another on walking around the entire perimeter of Algeria as a test of his love for a young Algerian girl when he was a youth.

And my favorite was his explanation to Teri that he does not look into the mirror into his eyes, because he is afraid of what lurks beneath. He likened that to living in a room for many years and keeping a light in a certain corner, never illuminating the other corners of the room. That would be the point in the interview where he began to flip out and Teri quickly ended things.

Missed Incident at Lochness... played one day here in NOLA at a crappy film festival and I couldn't make it. heard it was good.

Herzog shares some pretty interesting anecdotes.

One about promising his cast that he would run full speed into a quite painful cactus as a reward for completing a film on time. He came through on that promise.

Another on walking around the entire perimeter of Algeria as a test of his love for a young Algerian girl when he was a youth.

And my favorite was his explanation to Teri that he does not look into the mirror into his eyes, because he is afraid of what lurks beneath. He likened that to living in a room for many years and keeping a light in a certain corner, never illuminating the other corners of the room. That would be the point in the interview where he began to flip out and Teri quickly ended things.

Missed Incident at Lochness... played one day here in NOLA at a crappy film festival and I couldn't make it. heard it was good.

The cactus and Algeria stories are endearing. I like that he recognizes that he is kind of a douche and the promise of paining himself keeps his crew in line. I wonder, really, how true is the looking in the eyes and the subsequent freak out. I do believe he is a bit nuts, but hearing him speak and reading other interviews with him, his temper and bizarre outburts are so meta. I suppose that's how it works when you are a crazy genius

• Found a KILLER osbcure hip hop 12" today..

D-Smooth - "Droppin Smooth Lyrics" (1990) on Smooth City Records. I think it's out of Rhode Island.

This shit is on FIRE. All 3 cuts are dope. Can't find anything online, though.. Anyone know anything about this one?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Only 3 45s so far this week. Am waiting for some more to come in the mail though.
    The Animals - We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place (Columbia SA)
    Ben E King - Spanish Harlem (London)
    Georgie Fame - Hideaway (CBS)

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Went to a hit-or-miss record store a couple blocks from my tutoring office and found these goodies in minty condition just sittin' there for cheap:

Dasidi Komolafe- Hassan's Walk ('83 free/spiritual jazz recording on the Nimbus Label; haven't given it a thorough listen yet but the instrumentation is nice. also a raer one.)

massive attack v mad professor- no protection (i'm LOVIN' this. my copy has a real flimsy cover, is this a reissue?)

oh, and thanks to AP, the quality my funk 45 stash has increased exponentially. thanks dude!! you rock.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Nice finds Y, I scored a Hassan's Walk off Ake after he pulled it when were were runnin'

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    nice. thanks dude!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    That nimbus lp looks killer. I don't buy reish's to often but I got this cool psych/prog one today by a group called Jasper Wrath. Whats strange is it's a test pressing. I've never really seen a test pressing of a reissue before. Whatever. Anyways its a pretty cool lp with alot of bizarre instrumentation-theremin, oscillators, celeste, harpischord etc.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    let me try this like mark:

ALL THINGS OLD AND NEW MUST BE TESTED

ALL TESTS OLD AND NEW MUST BE TESTED

ALL REISSUE VINYL WAS TESTED.