DJ ENKI review's BITR for XLR8R.com

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Gracias Enki...http://www.xlr8r.com/topstories.php?uid=5BD8F780CB359AA363BD9392ABB0DC71 The Blast Zone Online: DJ Enki Spins a Hip Hop Take on the Facts of LifeI know that over the lifespan of these promo emails, I've taken a lot of potshots at ridiculous people like R. Kelly and California drivers, and I've generally been a shit-talking, snarky bastard. Of course, those who know me in person know that I really am something of a shit-talking, snarky bastard, but this week, I'm gonna try to flip the script and say nice stuff about some positive things. Fear not--I'm sure I'll be back to shit-talking by the time the next email rolls around--but for now, let's do like Chubb Rock said and get off this negative tip and go positive.OK, stumping for a charity project can be a sticky situation. On one hand, if something?s being done for a good cause, then that can be reason enough to support it. But you don?t want to feel like you?re ripping at people?s heartstrings in an attempt to get them to buy something subpar.So in that spirit, let me talk about the music on the Break in the Road CD (breakintheroad.org) first: It's dope. And quite varied--which makes sense considering it was made by people of all sorts of different tastes and mentalities and musical approaches from all over the world. You've got simple DJ blends. Funk beats. Full-on instrumentals. Remixes. If you've got any love for hip-hop, the music that inspires it, or the music derived from it, you'll find something to like about this compilation.Now, the feel-good part: This CD came about when a bunch of folks at soulstrut.com pulled together in support of the victims of hurricane Katrina. Just under $100,000 was raised by buying and selling rare records in the Heatrock auctions, and this project, spearheaded by NorCal's own DJ gNat, is the culmination of an intercontinental effort that started not too long after Katrina devastated the southern U.S. The only money involved in this project is the money you will (hopefully) spend buying the CD, every cent of which goes directly to charity to help the people still suffering from Katrina. You can read all about it at the Break in the Road website (breakintheroad.org), and you can order the CD there as well.And as long as we're talking about music you should cop, I recently offered up Slump & Grind, the mix CD by Bay Area DJs and excellent people B-Cause and Ross Hogg, as an excellent way to get that crunk bullshit out of your system and get up on crunk's talented sibling, hyphy, as well as the other quality goings-on in Bay Area rap. Turns out I got a little ahead of myself. Unbeknownst to me, Messrs Cause and Hogg have gone and made Slump & Grind 2, an even more thrilling journey into the grizzled-n-thizzled Bay Area rap underworld. You need this in your life, and you can better yourself by heading over to Ital Selection Hi-Fi (italselection.com), checking out the tracklisting, and placing an order.http://www.xlr8r.com/topstories.php?uid=5BD8F780CB359AA363BD9392ABB0DC71

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    My pleasure, good sir. You actually saw that this article had been published before I did!

• Thanks, Pete!

Your homie N*m* S*mn*n* bought S&G2 on the strength.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Thanks, Pete!

Your homie N*m* S*mn*n* bought S&G2 on the strength.

Fa sho, playa! And word, N*m*'s good people like that.