Damn RIP Uncle Bill (HK Film Related)

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
"Hong Kong actor Tung Piu (Bill Tung) died yesterday of lung failure. In fact, acting was only a hobby of his and his life was closely related to horses. Born at a Hong Kong stable in 1933, Tung Piu began to ride at 9 and became a jockey at 12. Like his father and grandfather, he was also an excellent horse trainer. In 1967, Tung began hosting horse-race shows for local TV and radio stations. In the 1970, he began taking cameo roles in film and TV series and by late 1990s he had appeared in over 60 movies and hundreds hours of TV shows. The police chiefs in Jackie Chan's Project A sequel and Police Story series were the most noticeable roles he played."

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

RIP. Was just watching police story 1-3 this week. Excellent movies & "Uncle Bill" was a great character.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

& "Uncle Bill" was a great character.

Yes he was! He was one of those people that you figured HAD to be funny as hell in real life....

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    there are some constants in life, if jackie was going to be a cop in a movie, then dude was going to be his chief.

rip

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    damn props for posting this up!

Tung began hosting horse-race shows for local TV and radio stations.

that is the sole reason I check out racing with my folks here, its pure comedy every time!!

RIP Uncle Bill

• snosno 332 Posts
    Yes he was! He was one of those people that you figured HAD to be funny as hell in real life....

His commentaries on horse races every Wednesday and Saturday were pure comedic GOLD. He was at the racing commentary game.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Damn, R.I.P.

• & "Uncle Bill" was a great character.

Word!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Sad sad news. It was always a bonus when I watched a Chan film and Tung popped up on screen.

Cheers for posting this.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Sad sad news. It was always a bonus when I watched a Chan film and Tung popped up on screen.

Cheers for posting this.

Yeah, no doubt. I remember when Rumble in the Bronx North American premiere was at the Royal here in Toronto. I wanted to go so bad, but couldn't make it. Saw it soon after and when Uncle Bill came on in the beginning, people were all yellin' "Uncle Bill" up at the screen.

RIP