RAMP.......reissue vs. OG

Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Anybody know the difference? Since the OG didn???t have a paste on back and the reissue isn't glossy...... I???m confused.Didn???t another label other than ABC/Blue Thumb reissue it?Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Anybody know the difference? Since the OG didn???t have a paste on back and the reissue isn't glossy...... I???m confused.

Didn???t another label other than ABC/Blue Thumb reissue it?

Any help is much appreciated.

All of the reissues I've seen had glossy covers containing somewhat pixelated images. Pretty easy to spot IMO.

SG

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    If it's brown, turn that frown upside down
    If it stank, money in the bank

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Anybody know the difference? Since the OG didn???t have a paste on back and the reissue isn't glossy...... I???m confused.

Didn???t another label other than ABC/Blue Thumb reissue it?

Any help is much appreciated.

All of the reissues I've seen had glossy covers containing somewhat pixelated images. Pretty easy to spot IMO.

SG

If you have experience handling older vinyl it should be obvious with most re's...

• Every RAMP reissue I've seen has been printed with a black ABC label (think 1st pressing of Rufus - Rags To Rufus, Lamont Dozier - Out Here On My Own). The OG is printed on a rainbow ABC/Blue Thumb label.

• If I'm not mistaken the original IS paste-on

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Wait a minute. I got a promo copy with black & white Blue Thumb label...

AND

its not brown cardboard or anything...its thin, and its white cardboard

• it is white card... but it is a paste job not a one-piece sleeve.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yup. it is a paste job on my copy...cuz a lil bit came unglued on the inside

ok so mine is an OG promo then fo sho.

• Hmmm....I've had a OG before. I'm like 90% sure it was a one piece.

I could be wrong.

Was there a 80s repress?

• Hmmm....I've had a OG before. I'm like 90% sure it was a one piece.

I could be wrong.

Of the five OGs I've had in the past few years, I'm holding my keeper copy in my hands right now.

You are wrong....

• usually any type on the label or usually the print on the side of the lp catalog numbers and what have you, if these are slightly blurry or contrasty, those are dead giveaways. if the inside of the jacket is white, if the paper sleeve is new... look for blurry prints. always the easiest. i've found some og's in the field (recently) which were odorless and had all their original color. the smell check isn't 100% accura.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Every RAMP reissue I've seen has been printed with a black ABC label (think 1st pressing of Rufus - Rags To Rufus, Lamont Dozier - Out Here On My Own). The OG is printed on a rainbow ABC/Blue Thumb label.

My Reissue of RAMP has a rainbow ABC label, not a black one.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Hmmm....I've had a OG before. I'm like 90% sure it was a one piece.

I could be wrong.

Of the five OGs I've had in the past few years, I'm holding my keeper copy in my hands right now.

You are wrong....

so theres a second pressing...? always thought i had the OG , ive caught this couple of times, this one i found at a flea late 80s and its NOT a paste on backcover...

• ive got my OG and a reish right in front of me.

my og is an "abc blue thumb" - the label is fully rainbow abc (purple by the hole, yellow by the edges) but says "abc blue thumb" and has the blue thumbprint. the reissue's label is black with the rectanglular rainbow box with "abc records" inside.

bottom right back cover: og has the abc blue thumb logo and thumbprint. the reish just says "abc records"

this og is NOT a paste over, its a folded + glued printed 1 piece cardboard construction. this copy's got a gold "demonstration not for sale" stamp top right front cover.

the printing quality of the reish is VERY good. you have to look carefully to see the differences. its easiest to spot in the actual "RAMP" logo, the white lines on black - the edges are very crisp on the OG, and a wee bit fuzzy on the reish. at first glance you may not notice, especially if you dont have the two side by side. the front cover artwork is a wee bit fuzzier too, but without a OG to compare side by side this would be tough to tell. the rear cover printing and pix of the band are almost perfect.

this OG's inside cardboard aint brown. its basically off white.

inner sleeve on this OG = the green abc records no hole with the repeated logo and white thin stripes. inner sleeve on reish is the usual white with hole.

my theory: theres a paste over version and a 1 piece version, both are og 70's.

i can provide 600dpi scans of various details side by side (og/reish) if need be.

• Confusing.

I just talked to somebody that said exactly what karlophone said. He has a OG with gold promo stamp that is a one piece...not a paste on back.

He said every copy he has ever seen was a one piece.

The copy I had was purchased (at a OG price) from a very trust worthy northwest dealer.....and like I said i'm almost positive it was a one piece.

But there is a paste on back also? I assume that one is the OG......but why are the promos and some of the regualr copies one pieces?

Any other records like this?

JonnyPaycheck-If its not asking too much...can you post a picture of the copy you have.

• this og is NOT a paste over, its a folded + glued printed 1 piece cardboard construction.

you're right.

• But there is a paste on back also? I assume that one is the OG......but why are the promos and some of the regualr copies one pieces?

my orig. co copy is paste on back cover, but I also had a goldstamped promo with with no paste on cover

• this og is NOT a paste over, its a folded + glued printed 1 piece cardboard construction.

you're right.

If you want beef now you caught some...
    paste-on posse

you're right.

If you want beef now you caught some...
    paste-on posse

Yeah sorry I meant that it was pasted together one piece, but not photo'd the whole way 'round like cheap repops, ugh never mind it is easy enough to tell and I have had several both promo and commercial.

White card does not = reissue all the time. But it should *seem* old, hope that helps.