Dennis Brown and Gregory Isaacs

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Someone apparently traded in their early 80's reggae collection at a local spot and I was hoping that y'all might help me pick out a few choice albums. There was lots of Dennis Brown and Gregory Isaacs in there. I already have a few albums from each of them, and today I picked up Gregory Isaacs - My Number One which I used to have on cd. How crucial are the following?Dennis Brown and Gregory Isaacs - Judge NotGregory Isaacs - Private Beach Party And if you can come up with any other winners from that time period, please let me know. I think I've already decided to go back to pick up Frankie Paul's Pass the Ku-Sheng-Peng. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Comments

• i would check anything pre-85 by those dudes.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    How crucial are the following?

Dennis Brown and Gregory Isaacs - Judge Not
    good, maybe not crucial

Gregory Isaacs - Private Beach Party

not so crucial

I think I've already decided to go back to pick up Frankie Paul's Pass the Ku-Sheng-Peng.
    surprisingly crucial

i get those 3 or 4 dennis / gregory showcase lps mixed up,
    one is crucial, two are semi & one is soft

• i would check anything pre-85 by those dudes.

co-sign. shit gets pretty cheezy thereafter with these dudes.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

good, maybe not crucial

Gussie Clarke-produced set if I recall... and worth having.

Not duets as the title might suggest; I think Gregory and DEB get a side apiece.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Someone apparently traded in their early 80's reggae collection at a local spot and I was hoping that y'all might help me pick out a few choice albums.

There was lots of Dennis Brown and Gregory Isaacs in there. I already have a few albums from each of them, and today I picked up Gregory Isaacs - My Number One which I used to have on cd.

Gregory Isaacs - Private Beach Party

And if you can come up with any other winners from that time period, please let me know.

I think I've already decided to go back to pick up Frankie Paul's Pass the Ku-Sheng-Peng.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

That lovers shit is aight. Stay away from anything on Greensleves or anything that looks like the label was made from a used napkin. Crap.

• Options
    For me it's all about the 70's for Dennis. Phil Pratt, his monumental work with the nine-fingered one, some Gibbs stuff, the below Linval Thompson produced 12, the Studio 1 stuff off course....and a 45 titled "Their Own way" which I've only ever seen a Canadian release for. Monster tune.

K in Canada.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

That real schitt!

• I think I've already decided to go back to pick up Frankie Paul's Pass the Ku-Sheng-Peng.

You need this for deffo.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    For me it's all about the 70's for Dennis. Phil Pratt, his monumental work with the nine-fingered one, some Gibbs stuff, the below Linval Thompson produced 12, the Studio 1 stuff off course....and a 45 titled "Their Own way" which I've only ever seen a Canadian release for. Monster tune.

K in Canada.

for me, "cup of tea" & "don't want to be a general" are maybe my 2 fave dennis singles,
    "promised land" is a killer late entry (12"), taxi stuff is okay for the day too

when did gregory fall off, for me "more gregory" was the last solid release, never liked "night nurse" that much but "material man" from then stood out
    "xtra classic", now there is a gregory lp !

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    never liked "night nurse" that much

I thought I was the only one

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    There are gems all over the place, but recently, my favourite DBrown LP from start to end has been Words of Wisdom. A Prince Buster side of his, One Day Soon, is unbelievable. Brown???s voice is nothing short of thrilling on it.

Some Isaacs faves are Smiling Face, Black a Kill Black and Tune In.

• never liked "night nurse" that much

Y'all preferred "Private Secretary"?

• Y'all preferred "Private Secretary"?

I'm a middle-aged business man...

But truth is, I really like Private Secretary. I don't know if I could say I think it's better than Night Nurse, but for now I definitely would rather hear it. Mainly it's the mix.

• Options
    There are gems all over the place, but recently, my favourite DBrown LP from start to end has been Words of Wisdom. A Prince Buster side of his, One Day Soon, is unbelievable. Brown???s voice is nothing short of thrilling on it.

Some Isaacs faves are Smiling Face, Black a Kill Black and Tune In.

. Not many singers bring the emotion levels like Dennis. Herman Lin Choy's produced cover of Carol King's "It's Too Late" is a monster Dennis tune as well.

I'm with you, Tim.

Righteous/tough tune with what may be the toughest rhythm ever. Tubby's dub of this is among the best made.

K in Canada

• Options
    never liked "night nurse" that much

I'm not one for huge hits, but this 45 hits hard...as does the 12 with "Material Man" on the flip.

K in Canada.

Righteous/tough tune with what may be the toughest rhythm ever. Tubby's dub of this is among the best made.

wicked lyrics too.
    we doubled up on this at the tribute.

hello lovely.

• Options
    Come by sometime! You got my new number, eh?

Kevin.

not yet - pm me!

would love too...

• I only have a couple dozen reggae records, but Gregory Issacs "Down the Line" is my fave reggae tune...

• Options

wicked lyrics too.
    we doubled up on this at the tribute.

hello lovely.

Conqueror + Dub

Check for yourself.

k in Canada.