Interesting Places You Have Lived (RR or NRR)

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I'm currently in the middle of finding a new living spot and was reminded of the coolest place I ever lived.When I was doing graduate studies I needed to save the dollars, so I once saw an add for shared living in a "historic hotel" for $250/month (canadian).This place was straight amazing. It was this giant building that was built in the mid-to-late 1800's and was a hotel until the 50's when the hotel portion closed. The rooms were small, and you had to share bathrooms and kitchens, but this didn't detract from the main points that made the place so... uh... bohemian.1) The building was comprised of: 1 movie theatre, 1 cafe, 1 sports bar, Beer refinery, 1 fine dinning restaurant, apartments upstairs, and a Strip Club[/b] (of somewhat questionable quality).2) The main occupants of the building were Opera Singers and Strippers during their 6-day contracts.3) You had to walk through the restaurant Kitchen to get to your room. I always had fun doing this.4) It was right across the street from a decent record store (by small town canada standards) and from all the "hip" bars and restaurants.I got way to many stories about this place which are unfortunately only funny told in person. They usually include Opera singers fighting with strippers.Post your crazy living spaces or you're flacid.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My wife and I lived a coupla floors above Arinell Pizza in Berkeley. It was ample but kinda sketchy in that it was situated right over the Berkeley BART station and all sorts of losers would hang out on Shattuck Avenue below us. Anyway, the most interesting thing about the place was that we paid only $630 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. We moved in during the summer of '97 which luckily pre-dated the dot.com boom. By the time we moved out in December of '99, the couple across the hall in an identical 1 bedroom apartment was paying $1,350 a month. That's over double, cuz.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    You guys have rent-control up there?

:nice one!:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    As long as a lease is continued, rent control is boss. As soon as someone ends a lease though, the sky's the limit.