The Greatest Dunk Artist I Ever Saw(BBall Related)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Was this man.....His name is Ollie Taylor, 6:2 Guard from NYC. Played at The University of Houston in the late 60's and later played for the Nets of the ABA. In '74 he was on the Nets team that included Dr.J and Larry Kenon. I went to alot of their home games and the highlight was always the pre-game warm-ups where Dr.J, Dr.K(As Kenon insisted he be called) and Ollie would have their own little Slam Dunk Contests. Ollie was a fan favorite and never disappointed.....unfortunately he only got to go head to head the Doc for part of the season as he was cut and never re-surfaced with any other teams.Who is your favorite dunk artist???

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Broken glass everywhere...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

And he gets bonus points for naming all his dunks!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    dominique

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    for me it would be Dominique Wilkins

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The best? hard to say but this dude certainly shook UCLA in the finals with his dunks. Favorite dunk nickname ever (the era was so Parliament/Funkadelic influenced). Solid pro career that no one knows about because he played in Utah. Ladies and gentlemen, the pride of the Louisville Cardinals......... DOCTOR DUNKENSTEIN...........Darrell Griffiths.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Dude, thats my man.

CHOCOLATE THUNDER

For me though, maybe Jordan. He would just be straight up sideways in the air. Or Dominique, so smooth. Tough call really...

• dominique

I second that emotion.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Jordan.

Even with today's insane dunks, people still can't test M.J.'s Dunking Gangster. Sorrry Josh Smith.

A.I. Pt. 2 did drop perhaps the craziest dunk ever last night. Too bad he didn't save it until the final round.

• Was this man.....

His name is Ollie Taylor, 6:2 Guard from NYC. Played at The University of Houston in the late 60's and later played for the Nets of the ABA. In '74 he was on the Nets team that included Dr.J and Larry Kenon. I went to alot of their home games and the highlight was always the pre-game warm-ups where Dr.J, Dr.K(As Kenon insisted he be called) and Ollie would have their own little Slam Dunk Contests. Ollie was a fan favorite and never disappointed.....unfortunately he only got to go head to head the Doc for part of the season as he was cut and never re-surfaced with any other teams.

Maaaan... now THAT is some . Always glad to see somebody on here who goes back further than me and can school me on some schitt. I was lucky enough to catch some of the Nets ABA games on channel 9 (or was that channel 11?) back when they were winning titles with Doc. Unfortunately I was too young to really appreciate it, but as they say, "if you didn't see Doc in the ABA then you really didn't see Doc". I'm proud to say that I SAW Doc.

But back to the issue at hand... I really think the best dunker of all time is that bitch-ass Vince Carter. Dude has a little something extra about his dunks, and I don't think he even tries real hard half the time. If he went at it like somebody like Dominique I don't think there'd be any question that he's the baddest dunker ever. But as bitchy and half hearted as he appears to be about slammin' on fools, I can understand why dudes would balk at the notion of him being #1. Still, leaping clean over that 7 foot french dude in the Olympics...

• Style Finesse And All That Mess...

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Two folls for Dominique and no photos to back it up??? Well then, allow me...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

goddamn...i never get tired of seeing Dominique's dunks....JUST SO NASTY!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

goddamn...i never get tired of seeing Dominique's dunks....JUST SO NASTY!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Gotta give a lil love to Dr. J.

• Cmon folls. Where is Tommy Gun Chambers in this? A knee up in (mark Jax?) his temple! Sick.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    woah, he's pretty up there. i know Tom Chambers was a pretty tall dude, but those dudes look like kids!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I love the classics, Chocolate Thunder, Dr. J, Dominique, MJ.

Gotta add a couple that haven't been mentioned.

Get ready muthafuckas!!!

http://www.youtube.com/w/Shawn-KEMp?v=iwHhqHERLAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odF8o99cRps&search=shawn%20kemp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYPLTvs1v1g&search=shawn%20kemp

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Not for style, but pure power you get Barkely in his prime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLGRQmXT2MY&search=barkley

For style you get Drexler with that one handed shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiBoh2oRlYA&search=clyde%20drexler

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yeah man, so many good dudes listed in here. Seeing those Dominique and Shawn Kemp pics brought back some memories. That was prime time for me, but I have to agree with Phill, if you were to put all of those dudes in one room in their prime, I think it's safe to say Vince would house shit.

• leaving change on the top of the backboard, anyone?

DT gotta get some shine!!

• But back to the issue at hand... I really think the best dunker of all time is that bitch-ass Vince Carter. Dude has a little something extra about his dunks, and I don't think he even tries real hard half the time. If he went at it like somebody like Dominique I don't think there'd be any question that he's the baddest dunker ever.

True. Vince's dunks at UNC were incredible!!!!!!!! It almost seems like he "toned" down his dunk game a little since his college and early pro career. Dominique would get second and MJ would be third on my list.

• holy schitt!!! hahaha, damn i remember that but didn't think it's as big of a deal as i do now.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

But back to the issue at hand... I really think the best dunker of all time is that bitch-ass Vince Carter. Dude has a little something extra about his dunks, and I don't think he even tries real hard half the time. If he went at it like somebody like Dominique I don't think there'd be any question that he's the baddest dunker ever.

True. Vince's dunks at UNC were incredible!!!!!!!! It almost seems like he "toned" down his dunk game a little since his college and early pro career. Dominique would get second and MJ would be third on my list.

vince needs to do another dunk contest if he wants to reclaim his title as the GOAT.

where's that 720?

• i think i see balls in a few of those pics, and i don't mean BASKETballs...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I'd give that dunk a Bronze[/b]

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

if Spud hadn't moved it would have been a disaster.......moving is not allowed

Vince Carter is the best i've seen

and i know And 1 is corny now but some of those kids get lifted like never before