edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I can't get enough of these. So good...

Comments

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Totally co-sign.

You need this one:

Peace

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    only heard a couple albums, but some that funkier stuff is great.

verocai production, right?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    appreciating gal is like appreciating sex involving ice cream and oils. not entirely necessary...

• Totally co-sign.

You need this one:

Peace
    yes!! love that.

• jaymack, a portion of her work is arranged by incredible Rog??rio Duprat

appreciating gal is like appreciating sex involving ice cream and oils. not entirely necessary...
    i know, right? we need a "so-unnecessary" graemlin.

• awallawall 673 Posts

this sentance pretty much sums up soulstrut's backwards ass take on modern music overall

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

this sentance pretty much sums up soulstrut's backwards ass take on modern music overall

• I only have the second Gal LP with the psych cover, and even though I think that she really can't sing at all and the musicians try to play badly on purpose, it's still a completely unique listening experience.

• even though I think that she really can't sing at all

• Well, opinions are opinions of course. But she somehow brings to my mind a hippie chick who dropped some acid and thought she could sing . It appeals more to my sense of punk esthetics than it does musically. I'm not hating, the record is definitely good shit.

• Well, opinions are opinions of course. But she somehow brings to my mind a hippie chick who dropped some acid and thought she could sing . It appeals more to my sense of punk esthetics than it does musically. I'm not hating, the record is definitely good shit.
    if that's your impression of her, you need to listen to more of her work. may i suggest:
    or...

or hell, start with this:

she actually has a beautiful voice...

• Thank you, will definitely check out if I can get my hands on them.

• She has a track with a rock band that I can't remember the name of, but the track name is "the empty boat", shit is awesome!!!

• She has a track with a rock band that I can't remember the name of, but the track name is "the empty boat", shit is awesome!!!

its a caetano veloso tune...kinda a tropicalia standard.

• this thread is embarassing

• awallawall 673 Posts
    this thread is embarassing
    i was gonna say the same thing

lol it really is.

lol it really is.

I didn't mean that towards you per se, it was posted in good faith... but Gal can sing, she sounds trippy hippy on that record because ... uh... it's a psych freakout.. and her best work is NOT the funky stuff.

• awallawall 673 Posts

read up

lol it really is.

I didn't mean that towards you per se, it was posted in good faith... but Gal can sing, she sounds trippy hippy on that record because ... uh... it's a psych freakout.. and her best work is NOT the funky stuff.
    nah, i hear you. some funny-style comments up in here.

• Has anyone heard the new Gal album "Hoje" ("Today")? It came out a month or so ago. It's on Trama, a big Brazilian indie label better known for releasing young artists, and it's arranged by Cesar Carmago Mariano. Seems like it could be really hot.

http://www.trama.com/portalv2/internacionalv2/album.jsp?id=4702

lol it really is.

I'm sorry for embarassing myself, but I made the judgement on that record and nothing else. On that[/b] record, it sounds like she can't sing. No need to take it personally. I am not one of those people who like it only when it's funky, and do not appreciate being called out as such.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    ever saw that simpsons in brazil episode? the gay flamingos? i can't help it. everytime i hear gal's voice, i start thinking of that simpsons episode.

lol it really is.

I'm sorry for embarassing myself, but I made the judgement on that record and nothing else. On that[/b] record, it sounds like she can't sing. No need to take it personally. I am not one of those people who like it only when it's funky, and do not appreciate being called out as such.

No worries dude.

I am not taking it personally but you should probably reserve judgment on one of the more prolific Brazilian singers if all you've heard is one album.

Like i said before, her best work is not on that record, I actually don't really like that record at all, I would check the s/t (first pictured), and Domingo, her live double is great as is La India. To me, and this may upset mutantes fans, but her version of "Baby" is the best one.

JS

• cosine on all the Gal albums pictured in this thread.
    but i have to say my favorite of her LPs, nudging out 'India' by a thread, is:

lol it really is.

No worries dude.

I am not taking it personally but you should probably reserve judgment on one of the more prolific Brazilian singers if all you've heard is one album.

Like i said before, her best work is not on that record, I actually don't really like that record at all, I would check the s/t (first pictured), and Domingo, her live double is great as is La India. To me, and this may upset mutantes fans, but her version of "Baby" is the best one.

JS

For real, now I know better, and will check more of her music. Actually, I would have checked more of it before, but they are a bit hard to come by in the places where I'm usually located

• Yeah dude they are hard to come by if your location is not "brazil" or at least "argentina". I would just ask around for a reputable brazilian seller and take the plunge on ebay.

[reynaldo]if you buy the records mentioned and do not like them as much as I say you should, I will buy them back from you.[/reynaldo]

• Yeah dude they are hard to come by if your location is not "brazil" or at least "argentina". I would just ask around for a reputable brazilian seller and take the plunge on ebay.

[reynaldo]if you buy the records mentioned and do not like them as much as I say you should, I will buy them back from you.[/reynaldo]

Now that I think about it, I actually do have a dealer back home in Finland. Dude has hooked me up with some amazing Brazilian shit before including that one Gal that I have and some other shit.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I LOVE this Gal Costa track that I have on some LP comp, anyone know if its on one of her full albums?

Trem das Onze