Near-Miss Drama (RR)

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I realize this is a bit of a post, but I gotta vent.I'm at the local quarterly record show today - mostly the same usualsellers with the same records as last time - although these guys camedown from Montreal with some cool stuff - I'll save it for the Weekend Finds thread, but I got a couple joints from them for cheap. Anyway, as usual, I go to sellers I don't recognize first...and there's this guy in the back with just 2 boxes of LP's on a table. Guy seriously looks likea half-tard, wearing one of those paper hats people that work at Krispy Kremewear, bunch of white gunk in the corners of his mouth...so, I look throughthe first box, it's crappy soundtracks, mostly junk...I'm waiting patiently as this well-known dealer is going through the second box. I watch him pullout a Velvet Underground & Nico with the banana sticker still on it. I give a little sigh of regret - then I watch him slide out the LP to look atit...and it is a MONO YELLOW LABEL PROMO. My heart almost stops. He asksthe dude what he wants for it, as it's unpriced. Guy's like, "uhh...I'mnot too good with this stuff...HEY HARRY!" (calls to the guy selling bootleg Stones CD's next to him) "Whatcha think this is worth?" Harry squints across and goes "errr $25?" dude looks at the guy holding the record and goes, "well...how about $18?" At this point I feel like I'm going to cry...the guy buying it knows me enough to know I was aware of what was happening, looks at me with a little smile and shrugs...if you don't know, the VU mono promo with banana can go on eBay anywhere from $1,500.00 to over $3,000.00[/b] If I had scored that puppy, I woulda gone to the ATM and dropped another $250at the Quebec guys' table...another guy told me there was a feeding frenzyon the tard dude's table at opening, with white label SF Sorrow &Riot On the Sunset Strip records going for $5 each...although I don'tunderstand how the VU lasted that long...I missed it by about 20 SECONDS I know, chirp chirp - so was anyone else at this De**am record show today?I didn't see anyone with "Strut" characteristics...you guys would havebeen all over the French Canadian dudes...ok, gotta go hang myself...

Comments

• you should've been like "holy shit man sweet score can I czech that out?" and then peeled the banana and ran.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    you should've been like "holy shit man sweet score can I czech that out?" and then peeled the banana and ran.

When dude was like "$18" I wanted to be like "I'll give you fifty!"
    But i'm just not enough of an asshole to blow up dude's spot like that.
    I kinda wish I was.

• yeah i know what you mean. i definitely would've just stood there silently grinding my teeth down to nubs too though.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    So you're saying I should've gone like I had planned to?

French guys? Was one balding with black rimmed glasses and the other have wild curly hair and look and act like a French Canadian stereotyped lumberjack?

Goddamnit[/b]

• Didn't go to the show, but that sucks. Sorry I missed the Quebec-ers...last time I went, it was kind of

I DID go to the Skinner Auction house today, and kind of reset my scale on what constitutes expensive. My girl works for Antiques Roadshow, and a painting that was discovered on the show went up for auction...and brought in $250K. Man, does that make me rethink what constitutes an expensive record. Hell, even the six inch toys caught $6,000. Makes eBay look tame.

French guys? Was one balding with black rimmed glasses and the other have wild curly hair and look and act like a French Canadian stereotyped lumberjack?

Yes, you should have gone, although except for the French dudes & the
    Krispy Kreme retarded guy, there wasn't much that was new...of course, if I had
    shown up at opening and got to Krispy Kreme early, I would be
    in some kind of blissful trance right now, surrounded by psychedelic raer...

The French dudes were those two - lumberjack dude was annoying and crazy,
    but actually cut the price on the record I bought from him without me asking,
    he was so spastic...he was like "how about $20?" I was like "$15?"
    he goes okey...and holds onto it while I look at some more stuff...
    I go to pay him, I'm like "you got that Pierre Henry LP?"
    And he's like "OK OK TEN DOLLARS!" I'm like "umm OK!"

Glasses dude had the heat...I wish I had more knowledge and $$$ cause he
    had some sick looking shit in his crates...french psych, afro beat records,
    soundtrack raer, dutronc EP's, etc...big pricetags but they were willing to go
    half of what was marked (maybe it was Canadian prices?)

I asked them if they were going to come back, but they didn't seem too impressed
    or to be making very much $$$, so I wouldn't count on it

• Options

Yes, you should have gone, although except for the French dudes & the
    Krispy Kreme retarded guy, there wasn't much that was new...of course, if I had
    shown up at opening and got to Krispy Kreme early, I would be
    in some kind of blissful trance right now, surrounded by psychedelic raer...

The French dudes were those two - lumberjack dude was annoying and crazy,
    but actually cut the price on the record I bought from him without me asking,
    he was so spastic...he was like "how about $20?" I was like "$15?"
    he goes okey...and holds onto it while I look at some more stuff...
    I go to pay him, I'm like "you got that Pierre Henry LP?"
    And he's like "OK OK TEN DOLLARS!" I'm like "umm OK!"

Glasses dude had the heat...I wish I had more knowledge and $$$ cause he
    had some sick looking shit in his crates...french psych, afro beat records,
    soundtrack raer, dutronc EP's, etc...big pricetags but they were willing to go
    half of what was marked (maybe it was Canadian prices?)

I asked them if they were going to come back, but they didn't seem too impressed
    or to be making very much $$$, so I wouldn't count on it

You think the records are good at the fair, you should check out his place.

K.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    He didn't bring no Afro Beat shit to our show, fuckity fuck. Dudes private stock shit was all scratched though, I didn't bless him at all. I bought regular bin stuff with afro stuff in it, but no display case afro stuff.

Yeah, he seems to not take condition into consideration much.
    But the one thing I bought from him, a Quebec garage LP, was unplayed
    and mint, so I won't complain...the psych & afro stuff was looking pretty VG- tho.