LADIES, rock some HIP HOP ideas.

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
So a girl I know wants me to hook her up a hip hop mix. I have some good thoughts, but ideas from the female perspective would be damn essential in this venture.She's not that schooled when it comes to Hip Hop (for example, she hasn't heard of A Tribe Called Quest (yet)), so I'm thinking best not get too elitist on this selection, or she'll be all at it. With the right introduction to the hip hop thats out there (first impressions and all that), hopefully she'll feel positively beckoned to get into this some more.I'll probably kick off with a few jams she might be vaguely farmiliar with the sounds of (Can I Kick It, Concrete Schoolyard etc), and then lead into some of what she might not know.Thats the deal, so rock your ideas ladies.. Dudes reading this, rep your girl's perspective, and DJ's rep your sureshots.Paece. Lee.

Comments

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    In the begining stick with soulful melodys, and tracks with ladie guest apperances and females harmonzing the hooks and chorus.
    While Im not all that into Fem'otional Hip Hop myself, start with the softer side of things.

BlackStar, the Roots , Fugees, G&E, Aesop, Wale Oyejide, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Del, Foriegn Exchange, Little Brother, Jurassic 5, Mos Def.

Hook her with the melodys that move and then move on to beat appreciation by working your way through the basics of the early 90's

De La Soul, Digable Planets, Gangstarr, Outkast
    Souls of Mischief, BeatNuts, Pete and C.L. Pharcyde
    Wu related stuff .Tribe..yada yada yada

All girls like Push it and Supersonic. If your making a mix tape I guess that would be a good time for an intro to some 88' classics, old school b-boy jams and electro..but still kind of on a second bass kind of level.

If you can work your way up to the likes of Kool Keith, Redman,
    Organized Konfusion, Masta Ace, Saafir, Black Sheep, P.E. Tim Dogg, CMW, Gangster ish.. then consider it a job well done. Hip Hop appreciation project complete.

• Woah, much props JA.

Right what I was looking for.