What Live Shows Have You Seen Lately??

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
What bands etc. have you checked out lately?Last night I saw Deerhoof play, very cool noisy indie rock stuff from San Fran I think. The drummer is very good. The band is pretty crazy, I thought the singer/guitarist was sitting down because I was at the back of the room & couldn't see everything, but she is just really short, maybe chest height of all the dudes in the band. They have these nice mellow sections that could be great pop songs but then they go off on some arty noise tangent, they really cover the whole dynamic range. As a namedrop I was there with a guy I played in my last band with, his brother, his Dad & a guy called Chuck Plotkin from LA. Turns out Chuck Plotkin is a record producer who has worked with Springsteen & Bob Dylan amongst others, interesting guy, studied law & then got diverted into engineering/producing. It was a great show.The Friday before last I saw James Brown. It was the first time I had seen him play & was blown away. The whole show was awesome. If he is that good in his 70s I can only guess how awesome he was back in the 1960s. 2 drummers, 2 bassists, super hot band. 4 back up singers, 2 dancers. There was like 14 people onstage at times. Why didn't I go 2 years ago when it was cheaper? I don't know. I am glad I got to see him anyways, what a legend.The night before James Brown I saw Against Me! play. I love this band, upbeat country/folk punk. Great songs, more whoah-ohs & singalongs than I can remember last. People need to check this band, they are from Fla. & seem to be on the road all the time. Great stuff.The week before Against me! I saw Comeback Kid. They are a Canadian Hardcore band that are kinda cool with kids at the moment. They play fast so they are good. This show was better that I expected, just real good no bullshit hardcore, I hadn't heard them that much before I went, but I am definitely glad I made the effort on a work night.,Coming up in the next month or so are the Misfits & De La Soul...

Comments

• Sam Paglia Trio

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I went to this big festival the other week here in Australia... full of drug fucked idiots. Anyway, Bahamadia was first... she was dope, but had no stage presence what-so-ever.... Next up were The Nextmen who weren't exciting... ehhhh. After that was Breakestra, which was fucking awesome, INSANE!... I broke out halfway through their set to peep Talib Kweli which was very dope too... Z-Trip played after that and it was dope, Supernatural appeared at the end of his set... it was fuckin' ill.. I don't care what anyone says, Supernat is always on point live. Last up was James Brown which was probably the most horrible thing I've ever seen. Seriously. Dudes band sounded like run-of-the-mill big band funk shit. Everyone on stage was old and corny and *of course* none of the OG peoples. We even got to see James Brown have a big cry to the singers and yell at them "FLAT FLAT FLAT", also the guitar player got an ear bashing heheh... dudes voice has given in, seriously sad to see him in that state... I mean, it was great to see a living legend, but a dissapointing performance, especially after seeing Maceo Parker tear the roof off Tokyo a handful of months earlier... I'm happy I went, happier I didn't pay to get it, and I realized after a dude came up to me asking me if I had any "wizz (speed)" that I'm too old to be walking around these day long festival shits...

peace.