Your appreciation for the 70s...

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Does anyone here have tastes for things from the 70s besides LPs and 45s?I don't have many DVDs in general, and have pretty much given up on collecting any more DVDs, but a lot of the title I do have are 70s films like "Five Easy Pieces," "Taxi Driver," "Chinatown," "Dog Day Afternoon"...I don't have one yet, but one day I'd like to buy an early 70s Dodge Charger:1970

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

I don't have many DVDs in general, and have pretty much given up on collecting any more DVDs, but a lot of the title I do have are 70s films like "Five Easy Pieces," "Taxi Driver," "Chinatown," "Dog Day Afternoon"...
    They paced movies amazingly in the 70's.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    not so much the 70's as the 60's for me. 'fuzz' pretty much describes where i'm at right now in a way that extends far beyond music. 60's threads were hotter too. For some reason i associate the 70's with the yuppiefication of America. i'm young though and don't speak from experience. Chinatown was awesome.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I was a pre-teen for the 70s, born 69, but I have great memories of the time. A couple of my favs would be Japanese shows and movies I watched on local TV like Ultraman, Godzilla movies, Gattiger, Goldar and the Space Giants, plus a lot of Hanna Barbara cartoons and the live action TV shows they use to have on Saturday morning TV like Land of the Lost, Shazzam. I also use to watch all the variety shows by musicians like Donny & Marie, Captain and Tenneil (sp?), Sonny & Cher, etc.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I was a kid growing up in the 70s. I like the follwing from the 70s

Records
    Cars
    Movies
    Kung-fu movies
    Toys
    American TV shows
    British TV shows
    Japanese TV shows
    Board games
    Comics
    TV Commercials
    Print commercials
    Playboy magazines
    Baseball cards
    Sports uniforms
    7 Eleven stuff like collectable slurpee cups
    Candy
    Snacks
    Cereal
    Saturday morning cartoons

I could go on all night

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    oh shit, I had forgotten all about the 7 eleven slurpee cups. I had a whole shelf in the kitchen full of those things.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I don't have many DVDs in general, and have pretty much given up on collecting any more DVDs, but a lot of the title I do have are 70s films like "Five Easy Pieces," "Taxi Driver," "Chinatown," "Dog Day Afternoon"...

Concur -- that's a lot of their appeal to me. Taking time to tell the story.

And I like the way a lot of them are shot.

• I don't have many DVDs in general, and have pretty much given up on collecting any more DVDs, but a lot of the title I do have are 70s films like "Five Easy Pieces," "Taxi Driver," "Chinatown," "Dog Day Afternoon"...

The screenplays were usually better written than today standards........

Endings usually avoided happy-endings while today it's usually the rule......

in the 70's was born a way of representing on the screen the urban gritty realism of everyday life that was unknown in the past, and is near definitively lost today

just my opinions.......

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    in the 70's was born a way of representing on the screen the urban gritty realism of everyday life that was unknown in the past, and is near definitively lost today

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Late-70s sci-fi movies.

Late-70s sci-fi movies.

Early 70's Sci-fi.

• I don't have many DVDs in general, and have pretty much given up on collecting any more DVDs, but a lot of the title I do have are 70s films like "Five Easy Pieces," "Taxi Driver," "Chinatown," "Dog Day Afternoon"...

this has a lot to do with mtv and the increasing number of commercial breaks in the 80s, i was watching the exorcist last night, and was reading somewhere someone was complaining that the first half of the movie was boring and you should just skip to the second half, this is the problem with most modern shit, the story takes back seat to action or horror or whatever, this is the main reason i cant get into 95% of modern movies they are so spastic with stupid mtv angles and transitions, most movie slack depth which many 70s movies are oozing with, the exorcist is a perfect example, the story actually builds and you may have some feeling about the characters before the big payoff and action, which is completly lacking form pretty much all modern films

but i agree with breakself, i'll take the 60s over 70s on most things

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    That one looks good. I'll have to track it down.

but i agree with breakself, i'll take the 60s over 70s on most things

I disagree.........but it all depends on when your born. 5 pages.

• I love the seventies. I was born in 71 so it has that whole sentimental thing. Things got glitzy in the end but yuppies didn't come about till the early 80s if I remember correctly.

I see the seventies as the turning point in eras. Things really changed between the 60s and 80s, culturally and in technology.

yuppies didn't come about till the early 80s if I remember correctly.

Technically Yuppies are a Late 70's creation, coming into full bloom in the 80's.
    Remember the fitness/Jogger boom of the 70's. Pre-...