As An Ebay Seller I'd Like To......

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Suggest that ebay change it's format to a REAL auction.This would mean that if anyone bid during the last 2 minutes of the auction it would automatically extend the auction time another two minutes. This would continue until there were no more bids.Right now Ebay is nothing more than a game of musical chairs with the guy who snipes at the end being the winner.Of course as a buyer....I think it's a terrible idea!!!

Comments

• that would cause massive gripping throughout the world. Great idea!

I can just see the dudes now, gripping over rare... "Eckkkk... can I... should I... $628!"

Sniping has made ebay a three ring circus

• talk to ebay. they'd love to jack your ideas.

i have noticed some ebay sellers prefer to hold their own auctions (manship exclusively does this)
    not a bad idea, but it is kind of taking things to the next level. especially factoring in that friends will be bidding.... making matters messy.

• overstock.com does this on their auctions.

• I have consulted the manager of the music catagory at ebay on several occasions now. I will mention this to her when we have contact again. This idea would also make people have to be present for the close to be active, unlike with Sniper. Complicated and interesting.

• Maybe you can have it as an option when you're putting up the auction (like with the reserve-price). Buyers would regard sellers with $1-$80 records using this "+2minutesthing" and stay away (just like with the reserve, or am i wrong?) but I guess it would work with big $$$ records.

I'm mostly a buyer and I wouldn't mind..

• Definately an interesting concept, but I think it would affect bids from overseas buyers due to the time difference...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    You wouldn't have to literally be there when the auction ends...it would encourage folks to put in their maximum bid early on though....and it would give folks time at the end of the auction to top whatever that high bid might be.

I do think some folks would stay away....especially those who snipe.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Go big or go home.

• It's an idea that's been talked about for some time now, actually. I don't know if they'd actually ever do it or not but as a seller I wouldn't mind at all. It wouldn't prevent sniping as sniping software would just keep bidding until it had the highest bid or had hit the max bid a person was willing to put in, but it would end last-second sniping. As both a seller and a bidder I have no problem with that. As a buyer I just wonder if the practice wouldn't make some bids go even more skyhigh on certain items than they already do. On the other hand, people wouldn't feel the need to start off with a high maximum bid because they don't have to worry about the auction ending until all bidding has ceased. Really, it's an idea I've been all for since I heard about it.

• You wouldn't have to literally be there when the auction ends...it would encourage folks to put in their maximum bid early on though....and it would give folks at the end of the auction to top whatever that high bid might be.

No way, early bidding leads to too much price inflation and the one asshole who bids in increments of $5 until his broke ass can't bid anymore fucks shit up. I mean, as a seller if you don't want shit to go cheap, put a reserve or start the bid high.

You wouldn't have to literally be there when the auction ends...it would encourage folks to put in their maximum bid early on though....and it would give folks at the end of the auction to top whatever that high bid might be.

No way, early bidding leads to too much price inflation and the one asshole who bids in increments of $5 until his broke ass can't bid anymore fucks shit up. I mean, as a seller if you don't want shit to go cheap, put a reserve or start the bid high.

I never use a reserve but I sure do wanna see the madness of two nuts going at it, trying to prove who's dick is bigger, and using $$$ to prove it!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    and the one asshole who bids in increments of $5 until his broke ass can't bid anymore fucks shit up.

....well, I've been that asshole before - it's kind of unavoidable sometimes...I mean, I TRY to just bid what I am willing to pay and that's it, but
    it's only natural to take a shot at what you want to pay, and then if
    it says "sorry, you are outbid" your brain then loosens the purse strings a little more and you try a little higher, and so on...but I also have of course
    been the first bidder at say, $40, on a record with a $9.99MB, and some guy comes along at the last minute and bids $35, and nobody else bids, and of course
    I'm like, ASSHOLE!!! I would have had that record for $10 if you had kept
    your losing bid to yourself, now I pay $35!! THANKS ALOT LOSER!!!

• I never use a reserve but I sure do wanna see the madness of two nuts going at it, trying to prove who's dick is bigger, and using $$$ to prove it!!

As a seller its nice to have a bidding battle, but like you said this isn't a regular auction, where you bid in increments. There's no dude saying "$100, do I hear $150, $150 do I hear $200." Your supposed to place your max bid and thats it, not say "oh man I guess I could spend $10 more, oh shit, well maybe $10 more than that. oh shit..." Mabe what would be better is if you were only allowed to place two bids in one auction, that way you can really evaluate what the record is worth to you. Someone bid over you, tough luck, they wanted it more. Shit, if that happened no one would make money on ebay because the toys of the world would be shook!
    I AM ONE MAD DAWG!!!

I never use a reserve but I sure do wanna see the madness of two nuts going at it, trying to prove who's dick is bigger, and using $$$ to prove it!!

As a seller its nice to have a bidding battle, but like you said this isn't a regular auction, where you bid in increments. There's no dude saying "$100, do I hear $150, $150 do I hear $200." Your supposed to place your max bid and thats it, not say "oh man I guess I could spend $10 more, oh shit, well maybe $10 more than that. oh shit..." Mabe what would be better is if you were only allowed to place two bids in one auction, that way you can really evaluate what the record is worth to you. Someone bid over you, tough luck, they wanted it more. Shit, if that happened no one would make money on ebay because the toys of the world would be shook!
    I AM ONE MAD DAWG!!!

Don't be mad...they'll never do it....was just food for thought.

• i'm not real mad, just having a shitty day, Ray Barretto is dead, work was tough, my record player is busted and stopped working in the middle of Hard Hands, my kid threw a fit and told me I was an ass, Pearson and Rockadelic want to change ebay policies, and I burnt dinner, but you know me, I can't complain

Man I am not feeling Howard Wales, I'm feeling M.O.P.!!!!! I'm gonna go knock some garbage cans over and shoot some rats!

• man... think about international bidders... your gonna lose that big japanese dollar unless they want to be up at 4 in the morning on a week night.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    man... think about international bidders... your gonna lose that big japanese dollar unless they want to be up at 4 in the morning on a week night.

Correction... think about those North American bidders, now that everyone's listing based on Japanese/European time.