Monty Alexander Rass! RR

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
While searching for this record I came to find that there were two different versions, one for the international market and a european pressing...which one has seen bigger numbers of pressing? I kindly ask anyone on here that has some knowledge to share it with the rest of us...and i searched the net and won't take that ish to the breaks since i know who sampled that...pretty decent record anyways and one of the best coming from the black forest.....int:euro:

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    one of the best coming from the black forest.....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    one of the best coming from the black forest.....

Black Forest = Schwarzwald (in German)...the label was called MPS = Musik Produktion Schwarzwald

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    While searching for this record I came to find that there were two different versions, one for the international market and a european pressing...which one has seen bigger numbers of pressing? I kindly ask anyone on here that has some knowledge to share it with the rest of us...and i searched the net and won't take that ish to the breaks since i know who sampled that...pretty decent record anyways and one of the best coming from the black forest.....

int:

euro:

Over here we see mostly the top one. In the Black Forest I would think you would see the other one.

If the only difference is the cover, then the US press would be more desirable.

As a jazz record on a well distributed label, I would say that they both saw the same number of pressings.

What was the question?

• While searching for this record I came to find that there were two different versions, one for the international market and a european pressing...which one has seen bigger numbers of pressing? I kindly ask anyone on here that has some knowledge to share it with the rest of us...and i searched the net and won't take that ish to the breaks since i know who sampled that...pretty decent record anyways and one of the best coming from the black forest.....

int:

euro:

Over here we see mostly the top one. In the Black Forest I would think you would see the other one.

The US cover is better... the US pressing gets more money... but I believe the German press is the first, as it was a German label? Never could fully clarify that.

As a jazz record on a well distributed label, I would say that they both saw the same number of pressings.

What was the question?

yeah, that was it somehow....thanks...

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

NOT EVEN FUNNY!

• While searching for this record I came to find that there were two different versions, one for the international market and a european pressing...which one has seen bigger numbers of pressing? I kindly ask anyone on here that has some knowledge to share it with the rest of us...and i searched the net and won't take that ish to the breaks since i know who sampled that...pretty decent record anyways and one of the best coming from the black forest.....

int:

euro:

The US cover is better... the US pressing gets more money... but I believe the German press is the first, as it was a German label? Never could fully clarify that.
    This seller says the German pressing is the 2nd pressing from 1979 (?)

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the mps book is serious business. If you're into mps/saba I recommend you scoop that thing up.

• NOT EVEN FUNNY!

Did dude get his head shrunk?

vs.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    all I know is he's lookin at waxidermy

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    While searching for this record I came to find that there were two different versions, one for the international market and a european pressing...which one has seen bigger numbers of pressing? I kindly ask anyone on here that has some knowledge to share it with the rest of us...and i searched the net and won't take that ish to the breaks since i know who sampled that...pretty decent record anyways and one of the best coming from the black forest.....

int:

euro:

MPS is a German company. (Are they owned by BASF?) RCA is also a German company. Phillips is a Dutch company and so on. Monty Alexander did most of his recording in the States. I think Rass was recorded in the States for the US division of MPS, thus the US issue would be the "original". Not that it was necessarily released before any other, but if a collector wants to "follow the flag" then you want US pressing. All this despite the facts that Monty is Jamaican and MPS is German.