"Top 10 Sentimental Rap Songs"

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I'm not trying to hate but even this tests my vast ocean of generosity:http://www.stylusmagazine.com/feature.php?ID=2144

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im not sentimental enough to forgive that turd of a list

edit: Eminem is easily the most sentimental rapper ever (if only hip-hop purists would resist fisticuffs over such a categorization)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This list is embarrassing. Who wrote this and from what bubble?

• That's a joke, right? I laughed.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    what about "I need love"?

• How about Lifers Group's "The Real Deal"? For some people, that line about other prisoners playing with another butthole is the equivalent of an Aretha Franklin tear jerker.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    What, no Bone "Crossroads"? Or "Me n' my Bitch"?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i like 7 of those songs
    I like a few of the songs on there also (I think I counted four or five) but surely they could have produced a better list, even if it was just different songs from the artists on the list.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    how could Common "The Light" not be on this ??

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    04. Mos Def/DJ Honda ??? Travellin??? Man

i thought i was the only fool who bought this album.

and i demand the emo-rap graemlin be reinstated for this thread.

• Jesus, if you want horribly sentimental tracks, check virtually any new rap LP and there will be a toe-curlingly bad ode to that rapper's mom/grandma/child. Off the top, the Mike Jones LP had an terrible one, Kanye's did, Brand Nubian too.

Also Pac is a MAJOR offender for this, Pac's sentimental jams are one of the main reasons I can't stomach much of him. Actually, I think that's a reason he's not as big in the UK as the US, as people from the US seem to have a higher tolerance of slushy sentiment.

• What about Ahmad - Back In The Day[/b]

Isht was rocking more sentiment than Angela Lansbury !! .... Oh wait .... No - thats Steradent???

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Ignoring the terd level present in the song list, I have absolutely no idea what definition they're using for sentimental - any song that doesn't involve gats?

• 09. Fall-N-Love ??? Slum Village
    Sick and tired of reprimanding sellout rappers the old-fashioned way, T3 and his crew of loosely-associated cronies[/b] resort to sentiment. A low-scale ominous beat plays the backdrop for SV???s spiel, reminding us why we fell in love with Villa in the first place.

I stopped reading after this.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    MC Pooh on In-A-Minute turned out a lovely 4 song EP of love songs

DJ Quik did "Puppet on a String" (or at least used the hook and the beat.. cant remember if its a love song though)

Hugh E MC did "I Call Your Name" which i thought was cool

Grand Puba did a few as well

i couldnt see the list because the website was down but this is what i could think of.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Also Pac is a MAJOR offender for this, Pac's sentimental jams are one of the main reasons I can't stomach much of him. Actually, I think that's a reason he's not as big in the UK as the US, as people from the US seem to have a higher tolerance of slushy sentiment.

Dear Mama....

• check out Brother Ali/Picket Fence.

Heard a few peeps admit this track brings on the tears.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I'm not mad at this list.

I support the top three; even though, I don't dig on 'Pac. I hated the fact they question Will Smith as a rapper, as if he never really did anything worthwhile as an eMCee early in his career.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Scarface - Now I Feel Ya
    Scarface & 2Pac - Smile
    The Nonce - Things Fall Apart
    Abstract Rude - A Coat of Paint

• Rap is the music version of gumbo.

People...you can't just throw a buncha shit into a pot and make gumbo.

And at the risk of pissing off Archaic: leave the okra and tomatoes out, too.

:Roux headz know the deal:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rap is the music version of gumbo.

But I thought rap was the new punk rock...

• But I thought rap was the new punk rock...

Rap is the new Ross Bagdasarian.

• Rap is the music version of gumbo.

Was that in the opening paragraph? I didn't read that part either.