proper compensation for auto accidents? (NRR)

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I was in an auto accident a few months ago and its time to receive some 'pain and suffering' compensation from the opposing insurance company. I'm having a hard time deciding if what they offered me was fair or not. So I'm calling upon my fellow strutters to see if they have dealt with a similar situation and could offer me some advice.More details: The accident wasnt bad at all. I was rear ended (no homo) and there was only $200 dammage to my bumper. My neck was hurting though, and I saw two doctors who said 'yes, you had minor whiplash, but nothing serious or permanent'. It has been three months since the accident and I'm now feeling fine. I spent some money on doctor co-pays, and lost about 3 days of work. All of this cost me approx. $500 (this includes lost time from work). Upon hearing this, the opposing insurance company said ok 'we'll reimburse you the $500, plus give another $500 for pain and suffering'. However, I did not accept this deal, telling them that I was going to sleep on it. Have any of you dealt with something similar? Do you think $1000 is fair compensation? And don't suggest me to fake neck pains, I'm doing this legit but I want whats fair.thanks,k

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    NO FUCKING WAY! Tell them $5000 straight up, or you're going to a lawyer. If they offer anything less than $3500, do just that...see a lawyer.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I was in an auto accident a few months ago and its time to receive some 'pain and suffering' compensation from the opposing insurance company. I'm having a hard time deciding if what they offered me was fair or not. So I'm calling upon my fellow strutters to see if they have dealt with a similar situation and could offer me some advice.

More details: The accident wasnt bad at all. I was rear ended (no homo) and there was only $200 dammage to my bumper. My neck was hurting though, and I saw two doctors who said 'yes, you had minor whiplash, but nothing serious or permanent'. It has been three months since the accident and I'm now feeling fine. I spent some money on doctor co-pays, and lost about 3 days of work. All of this cost me approx. $500 (this includes lost time from work). Upon hearing this, the opposing insurance company said ok 'we'll reimburse you the $500, plus give another $500 for pain and suffering'. However, I did not accept this deal, telling them that I was going to sleep on it. Have any of you dealt with something similar? Do you think $1000 is fair compensation? And don't suggest me to fake neck pains, I'm doing this legit but I want whats fair.

thanks,
    k

i'd take the $1000 and be happy with it. flip it around, and say you had a high deductible. wouldn't you be pissed if someone with a sore neck for a little while to try to get more than $500 of your money?

sounds like you're making a $500 profit out of the whole thing. take it and run.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I was in an auto accident a few months ago and its time to receive some 'pain and suffering' compensation from the opposing insurance company. I'm having a hard time deciding if what they offered me was fair or not. So I'm calling upon my fellow strutters to see if they have dealt with a similar situation and could offer me some advice.

More details: The accident wasnt bad at all. I was rear ended (no homo) and there was only $200 dammage to my bumper. My neck was hurting though, and I saw two doctors who said 'yes, you had minor whiplash, but nothing serious or permanent'. It has been three months since the accident and I'm now feeling fine. I spent some money on doctor co-pays, and lost about 3 days of work. All of this cost me approx. $500 (this includes lost time from work). Upon hearing this, the opposing insurance company said ok 'we'll reimburse you the $500, plus give another $500 for pain and suffering'. However, I did not accept this deal, telling them that I was going to sleep on it. Have any of you dealt with something similar? Do you think $1000 is fair compensation? And don't suggest me to fake neck pains, I'm doing this legit but I want whats fair.

thanks,
    k

i'd take the $1000 and be happy with it. flip it around, and say you had a high deductible. wouldn't you be pissed if someone with a sore neck for a little while to try to get more than $500 of your money?

sounds like you're making a $500 profit out of the whole thing. take it and run.

profit? his neck is fucked up. Call a lawyer. They will get you that cash. Make insurance companies pay you as much as possible. they are the scum of the earth.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    In a related story, I was in an accident a couple months ago. It was the other persons fault, my estimate says $3000 for damage, her insurance company came back and said all they would do is $1700. The guy at the autobody shop said the only way I could get money out of this company (what he called a "second rate" insurance company) is to take them to court. My mother works for a law firm and has basically said that it would be a waste of money to do that and I need to just claim it on MY insurance. Any thoughts? Any cheap lawyers out there that do this pro bono enough to make it worth my time?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

profit? his neck is fucked up. Call a lawyer. They will get you that cash. Make insurance companies pay you as much as possible. they are the scum of the earth.

no, my neck is not fucked up. thats the thing, but the whole expierence was a hassle and its that 'hassle' that Im being compensated for.

-k

• I was in an auto accident a few months ago and its time to receive some 'pain and suffering' compensation from the opposing insurance company. I'm having a hard time deciding if what they offered me was fair or not. So I'm calling upon my fellow strutters to see if they have dealt with a similar situation and could offer me some advice.

thanks,
    k

dang, i always thought tow truck drivers were the scum of the earth

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Any cheap lawyers out there that do this pro bono enough to make it worth my time?

When lawyers do pro bono work it's generally for non-profits or truly indigent individuals; not for people looking to sue an insurance company that can't quite afford their billables.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Any cheap lawyers out there that do this pro bono enough to make it worth my time?

When lawyers do pro bono work it's generally for non-profits or truly indigent individuals; not for people looking to sue an insurance company that can't quite afford their billables.

Sorry Faux, you are right. What I meant to say was one of the only pay if you win type of lawyers.

I really need to work pro bono back into my vocabulary (and actually use it correctly).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Sorry Faux, you are right. What I meant to say was one of the only pay if you win type of lawyers.

I really need to work pro bono back into my vocabulary (and actually use it correctly).

That actually describes most plaintiffs' attorneys; they generally work on a contingency basis, and there is no shortage of them.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    I had a similar incident a while back, happened right down the street from me. I was at a red light and some guy sped right into the back of me at 30MPH, no braking. Luckily, he had a lowered acura integra, and his car went under my car and into his hood, accordianing his front section but doing minimal damage to my car. just bumper, muffler, and quarter panel buckling for me, no major frame damage. It was extremely loud, I hit my head on the head rest when my head flew forward and slammed back, and I had a headache for a few days but then I felt better. The other insurance company paid for my car and I didn't deal with the head thing since I felt fine and had no problems. I guess I just wanted to get it out of the way. Thing is that in a minimal accident like mine, if they offered 500.00 plus the missed work time AND you still feel fine, I'd take it and move on instead of lighting an unnecissary fire that could result in more lost work time and lawyers fees. But that's just me. Hope the neck feels better this week man.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It was extremely loud, I hit my head on the head rest when my head flew forward and slammed back, and I had a headache for a few days but then I felt better. The other insurance company paid for my car and I didn't deal with the head thing since I felt fine and had no problems. I guess I just wanted to get it out of the way.

Are you saying you didn't see a doctor about that dude?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Make insurance companies pay you as much as possible. they are the scum of the earth.

Sad as it is, it is ultimately us the customer who foots the bill.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Make insurance companies pay you as much as possible. they are the scum of the earth.

what? because of higher rates or something? Is this like the dont steal from us so we can keep prices low argument?

Personally, Im working through one of these bullshit claims out here and Im currently real pissed at mercury insurance. I was hit twice in 3 days, once by a mac truck, and the other time by a car with nobody in it that rolled out of a gas station (true story).

Anyways, they are trying to say the truck accident never happened cause the damages dont match up or something, but I think they just showed the insurance company a different truck from the company.

the bitch of it is that in california they dont take a police report unless theres a personal injury. I was fine, so I didnt make a fuss, and now I got screwed.

so thats what you get for being honest and trying to deal with insurance companies in a rational and respectful manner. Just get a lawyer and make those fuckers eat it.

It was extremely loud, I hit my head on the head rest when my head flew forward and slammed back, and I had a headache for a few days but then I felt better. The other insurance company paid for my car and I didn't deal with the head thing since I felt fine and had no problems. I guess I just wanted to get it out of the way.

Are you saying you didn't see a doctor about that dude?

Right, cause I felt fine in a few days. Not even slight pain. I just didn't think it would be worth it for the hassle when I was sure I was ok.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    fuck insurance companies. but also, FUCK PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER SCUMBAGS.

just my 2 cents

• Options

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    call this cat. free consultation. if you dont win you dont pay.
    http://www.fightforyou.com/
    peace, stein. . .

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    what? because of higher rates or something?

Pretty much, yeah.
    It's a sad but true fact and a way for the insurance companies to continue to jack their prices up.

fuck insurance companies. but also, FUCK PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER SCUMBAGS.

that's what i'm sayin.

• Dude. If I get hit by a car and get all fucked up because of some dumbass my personal injury lawyer better be a scumbag and then some. Believe me, my brother is going through this shit now, and his lawyer's a pussy. You want somebody who's gonna fight tooth and nail to compensate you for your suffering.

I guess it depends on how injured you are.. if you have a sore neck for a couple of days and it disappears.. well, maybe take the money and run. But if there's any chance that it might get worse in the long run you better take it real seriously and fight for whatever you can get.

I guess it depends on how injured you are.. if you have a sore neck for a couple of days and it disappears.. well, maybe take the money and run. But if there's any chance that it might get worse in the long run you better take it real seriously and fight for whatever you can get.

if you're actually seriously injured then that's not what i'm talking about at all. but if your neck was just a little sore for just a few days then pursuing it just perpetuates all the bullshit.

hope your brother comes out all right by the way.

• hope your brother comes out all right by the way.

Thanks. It seems like every time he's getting a little better the doctors discover something else.. First they thought the injuries were strictly in his leg (4 breaks). Then they discovered that his shoulder was slightly damaged. And today they call saying that they want to do an epideral because he might have a herniated disc.

A fucking nightmare!

The good news is that they finally indicted the guy on a felony. The basic rundown is that my brother was legally crossing the street in Times Square, a dude hit him and then just got out and ran away. We just found this out, but apparently the guy went to a t-shirt vendor, put on a NYPD t-shirt and baseball cap and then returned to the scene 20 minutes later. Oh yeah, and he left a passenger in the car, too, the dumbass.

It turns out that the driver has a suspended license and is years behind on his child support payments. My brother probably won't see a penny from this dude.

well put.