Vitamix (a 1984 review from the archives)

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
When I moved to the Pacific Northwest in 1984, I did not know what to expect. Well, I expected to move to Seattle. Instead I get crop circles and tumbleweed. However, there was a magazine that in time I would end up writing for, "The Rocket". But back in 1984, I was looking to see what the music scene in Seattle and Portland was about. One of the first names that would catch my eye was Vitamix. This is someone whom I've wanted to hear but have yet to hear anything by the man.I mention this because as I'm digging around for old magazines and clippings, I find this review by Robert Newman:As I read this again, I believe that this is one of the reasons I wanted to make music: the description of raps over records with spoken word and a bunch of other noises. By the time Shadow was "Unsigned Hype" in "The Source", he was already doing what the elders had done (which of course wasn't a surprise).Anyway, I have yet to hear any of Vitamix's tapes or radio shows. Does anyone have anything by him? ---I also found another article from 1985, talking about Sir Mix-A-Lot making beats with his Commodore 64 and doing tracks with Baron Von Scratch. The article is called "The Hip-Hop Debate", which is essentially Six Mix-A-Lot and Baron Von Scratch (Seattle) vs. Vitamix (PDX). It mentions that Vitamix opened up for Los Lobos, Yellowman, and Afrika Bambaataa. I'll scan that and put it on my blog by tomorrow.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i always run into the rocket's old editor, jeff gilbert. he used to run a news/zine called "mansplat"... super funny shit about titties, cheap beer, godzilla, and planet of the apes. are you still around these parts?

• i always run into the rocket's old editor, jeff gilbert. he used to run a news/zine called "mansplat"... super funny shit about titties, cheap beer, godzilla, and planet of the apes. are you still around these parts?

I met Jeff once (at an Anthrax/Metal Church concert no less), but I picked up "Mansplat" at one of the Seattle record conventions awhile back. He still has a sense of humor.

I am here in the Northwest, represent the Dry Shitties.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    You want even more trivia? I drove Chris "Vitamix" Blanchard to that photo shoot for the rocket! The one where he is at the graffiti. He had a record out on Profile called 13 Thousand Taxi Cabs. It was a licensing deal for a local label called Cold Rock that was run by Brett Carlson. I believe Brett later on in the years got Criminal Nation a deal through Ichiban. Brett has moved to the phillipines and Nasty Nes Rodriguez emailed me just last week and said guess what? Vitamix found me on the internet! Now here you are talking about him. He was good and his record was good too. You gotta remember at that time there wasn't much available around our neck of the woods as far as hip hop went. I'm actually gonna dig his record out as I'm working on a seattle old school rap comp. If you know of any groups I may not that were around from 84-94 from the northewst let me know. Here are some I know of:

Little Ray Rapper
    Dira Boys
    Powercore
    Incredicrew
    Brothers of the Same Mind
    Kid P
    Mix-a-lot
    Chilly Uptown
    Criminal Nation
    Urban Rhythm Unit
    Daddy Rich
    Gary Jam
    Baron Von Scratch
    Phantom of the scratch
    Silver Chain Gang
    Funky Fresh Jazz
    MC Class
    Moving Target
    Nerdy B & Chelly Chell
    Love Sick Rhymers
    DMS
    Ghetto Children
    Supersonic Ray
    Poochie Pee
    J-1
    EQ
    Herb Superb
    High Performance
    Criminal Nation
    Kid Sensation
    Art of Skill
    N.W. Posse
    Gary Jam
    Deputy Rhymes
    Big Boss Cross
    Emerald Street Boys
    PD2
    P.O.S
    Seoul Brother (Korean rapper!)

Those are a few that come to mind.

• I'm actually gonna dig his record out as I'm working on a seattle old school rap comp. If you know of any groups I may not that were around from 84-94 from the northewst let me know. Here are some I know of:

I was going to ask if something was going to be put together. I look forward to doing that, and if down the line you're up for an interview on it (once the project is close to completion), let me know.

You would be more in tune with what's going on that side, because locally there was nothing, or at least no one was doing anything in the Tri-Cities. There were a few breakdancing crews, but nothing that was outside of a Middle or High School level. I went to Stevens Middle School and a guy who lived a few houses away from me was in the crew, he would be what most would call your "token white kid". To make this record related, he traded his Art Of Noise "Beat Box" 45 for my copy of Rockwell's "Somebody Watching Me", and me being the Trevor Horn head, I wanted that 45. That was probably my first legitimate "trade". He (Travis) also tried to scratch on his parents record player, which was the big, wooden cabinets. He would borrow some of my records and the other side would be completely fucked up. He then tells me "check this out, I put folder paper on the turntable here so it doesn't scratch the record!" He would also cut a circle from the felt of the pool table in the other room that was collecting dust, and use that.

Locally, hard rock, heavy metal, punk, and country were always more popular. We did have a station which played soul/R&B, KZZK (a/k/a "the cool station") but when we had some shit with Hanford go down, much of its target audience moved to Seattle or Tacoma, and KZZK would switch over to country.

When I started making music for myself, the only rapper that I had known of was from up in Spokane. In fact I still may have his demo in storage.

I'll be honest, a lot of people around here didn't really "dig deep", and not so much for records but to push for a local hip-hop scene. Then again, I'm from Honolulu moving into a small town environment eager to want to start something, and never finding a damn thing. Yet the impact of Sir Mix-A-Lot was everywhere. The white kids here, who were either hard rock or country, loved "Square Dance Rap", and would often quote lyrics from "Buffalo Gals" as if they were Rakim lyrics. The black kids were representing SWASS. When I was a DJ for a local high school station, a friend of mine put up a Sir Mix-A-Lot in the booth only for the instructor to tear it down because it was not our format (the station was heavy metal, and nothing but). Sadly, the only time I could play hip-hop on the radio was during April Fool's Day, yet I looked forward to it. I still remember playing P.E.'s "Bring The Noise" and pissing people off. Or playing Beastie Boys and having to say "if you listen real good, you can hear Led Zeppelin or Creedence Clearwater Revival."

----
    Anyway, I'll post the article in my blog in a few minutes.]

• If you know of any groups I may not that were around from 84-94 from the northewst let me know.

First off, I put up the full article on Mix-A-Lot, Baron Von Scratch, and Vitamix:
    http://jbookmusic.blogspot.com/

The article also mentions K.O.C. (Kings Of Cutting).

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    K.O.C is still around! Well the main guy. He went on to quit deejaying and selling big ol' dope. He got popped by the feds as well as shot a few times and recently got out of prison. He went in as this big old guy with long hair. he approached me on the street recently and was very skinny and bald with eye glasses. I had no idea who he was but he knew who I was. We rapped a taste and I ended up checking his spot out. He has a house his parents left him when they died and he has absolutely nothing but he explained to me how he loves music and wish he never would have stopped deejaying. He doesn't dj now but has started collecting records.

• K.O.C is still around!

It's funny, a lot of these names were people whom I only know of by name, it was pretty much close to impossible to find anything here. At that age (14-16), I didn't know of any hot spots to find "the good music", and a visit to Tower or a store in the U-District (such as Cellophone Square) would lead to loads of Gordon Lightfoot and 45's on Popllama and Green Monkey.

Anyway, I'm not sure what else I may have lurking around, in terms of old reviews or whatever. If I come across something, I'll let you know.

Also, this is funny. Two pages away from this article I just posted, there is a calendar section for "Remote Concerts", or anything outside of Seattle. In Portland you have D.O.A., NoMeansNo, Chuck Berry, and Frankie Goes To Hollywood. In Yakima, T.G. Sheppard and Brenda Lee. Yeah, that sums it up right there.