Olivia Heat?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
There's about 25 Olivia records sitting at the Goodwill and I forgot my portable. I've had bad luck in the past, but I've been told there are good ones. Anybody know?Thank you.

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    if theyre like a dollar or so... get them all and the ones you dont like you can group together as an auction. lesbian records always sell well for me... and i get them things all the time.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Are you talking about the label which is primarily features lesbian musicians?
    Well there's Linda Tillery-S/T but you may very well already know about that.

Then there's BeBe Kroche which is (maybe I need to give this another listen).

Baba Yaga got the ill drum break and 2 or 3 cuts that I dig.

Other than that, I don't know.

Shit if they're like a dollar a record, get 'em all.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    you're right. i'm going to get them.

thanks

All of these records are in VA, correct? I'm asking because if Olivia is based in CA (correct me if I'm wrong), then how did you find so many out there?

• All of these records are in VA, correct? I'm asking because if Olivia is based in CA (correct me if I'm wrong), then how did you find so many out there?

lesbians are loyal

All of these records are in VA, correct? I'm asking because if Olivia is based in CA (correct me if I'm wrong), then how did you find so many out there?

lesbians are loyal
    HA!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It was basically the ONLY feminist/Lesbian record label back then (well, they also distro'ed some tinier ones), so I'm sure they did a healthy mail-order business all over the country... I don't think they're RAER anywhere.

But yeah, Linda Tillery, Mary Watkins and Baba Yaga (which isn't on Olivia proper) are the only ones to bother with unless you're trying to make beats out of em...

This is about the fiftyleventh time we've had this thread

• Yeah I find them all over the country, and never one at a time - like the whole damn catalog as well as plenty of Meg Christiansen or whatever and that fucking Lavender Jane record that some tool tried to pawn off as loner shit

• speaking of lesbian records, anyone ever heard the Malvina Reynolds LP on Century City? Other release on the label has me curious, but other Malvina records have me not so. Crink?

It was basically the ONLY feminist/Lesbian record label back then (well, they also distro'ed some tinier ones), so I'm sure they did a healthy mail-order business all over the country... I don't think they're RAER anywhere.
    Makes sense.

But yeah, Linda Tillery, Mary Watkins and Baba Yaga (which isn't on Olivia proper) are the only ones to bother with unless you're trying to make beats out of em...
    Pretty accurate, even though I tried to make beats with Baba Yaga and Linda Tillery

This is about the fiftyleventh time we've had this thread

Someone give me a late pass.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Since I moved to granola country, the whole Olivia catalog is about as raer as women who don't shave.

Baba Yaga seems a bit tougher to find though.

speaking of lesbian records, anyone ever heard the Malvina Reynolds LP on Century City? Other release on the label has me curious, but other Malvina records have me not so. Crink?

ohhh ohhh! I like Malvina Reynolds, but didn't know there was on on Century City. cool!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Pretty accurate, even though I tried to make beats with Baba Yaga and Linda Tillery

Naw, those three would be the MOST eligible for sampling, I meant you probably shouldn't touch the REST of the catalog unless you're trying to make beats with it...

• speaking of lesbian records, anyone ever heard the Malvina Reynolds LP on Century City? Other release on the label has me curious, but other Malvina records have me not so. Crink?

ohhh ohhh! I like Malvina Reynolds, but didn't know there was on on Century City. cool!

Yeah a dealer I know has it and I want it but I don't want to venture the sum he wants on something I've never heard.

You like Malvina? uh....

speaking of lesbian records, anyone ever heard the Malvina Reynolds LP on Century City? Other release on the label has me curious, but other Malvina records have me not so. Crink?

Yeah a dealer I know has it and I want it but I don't want to venture the sum he wants on something I've never heard.

You like Malvina? uh....

haha! I think NorCal is getting to me. But her record on Columbia gets a lot of play.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

You like Malvina? uh....

I like Malvina Reynolds. Great songwriter and person. Please don't buy any if you are looking for more than clever folk songs sung by an old woman.

Dan

You like Malvina? uh....

I like Malvina Reynolds. Great songwriter and person. Please don't buy any if you are looking for more than clever folk songs sung by an old woman.

Dan

i am swimming in malvina records. the covers with grey-haired Malvina playing the guitar definitely indicate that it could be a super funked out psych experience! Alas, it is just folk songs sung by an old woman.

Do you have the LP on Century City?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    malvina or mangina?

Repped by Pete MUTHERFUCKIN Seeger, BEATCHES!!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I kinda like that Lilith- Boston Ride lp, so sue me.

• I kinda like that Lilith- Boston Ride lp, so sue me.

TERD!!!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• Then there's BeBe Kroche which is (maybe I need to give this another listen).

Nah! That shit is dope!!!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

You like Malvina? uh....

Dan

i am swimming in malvina records. the covers with grey-haired Malvina playing the guitar definitely indicate that it could be a super funked out psych experience! Alas, it is just folk songs sung by an old woman.

I've had some private press Malvina's. I'm not sure if I have had that one. I don't think I have any right now.

You like Malvina? uh....

Dan

I've had some private press Malvina's. I'm not sure if I have had that one. I don't think I have any right now.

Yeah, Century City is just a small indie, not a private like the other records I've had by her. I like mellow lesbofolk but I can't really fuck with Malvina.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Teresa Trull brings heat too. Olivia label,

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Cris Williamson -- The Changer and the Changed has been an erryday listen for the past month. I highly recomend it. Should be easy to come by.

• these records suck... i generally buy them for kitch/novelty value... you guys are actually listening to them?!?!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    To each their own, oh mighty perveyor of fine taste!!!!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Loops yo