Romero's LAND OF THE DEAD trailer

Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/georgearomeroslandofthedead.htmlThe one film I will see on opening night this year, hell or high water. Can't wait. The trailer is short, but it just does my heart good to see Romero working on a major release again.

Comments

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    but it just does my heart good to see Romero working on a major release again.

dude deserves to get some money for sure

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Just by way of getting this thread more interesting...(Crash thread related)

Cronenberg vs. Romero

both auteurs who for better or worse early on made their careers in the horror/cult genre, but are far more than the B-or C-list directors their budgets would suggest.

Personally, I see Romero as more accessible, more of a humanist, and I find his films more interesting and entertaining(not necessarily in that order).

Cronenberg to me is like a genre-heavy Cassavetes, someone whose work is more interesting with background info and analysis, but convoluted in execution. Especially in the 90s. Scanners and Videodrome are my faves.

DISCUSS

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    What's that awful Cronenburg flick with Marilyn Chambers where the bloodsucking horn pops out from under her arm?? It used to show up on cable all the time?

PS I vote for Romero, if only for consistency.

What's that awful Cronenburg flick with Marilyn Chambers where the bloodsucking horn pops out from under her arm?? It used to show up on cable all the time?

PS I vote for Romero, if only for consistency.

RABID, one of his earlier wide releases. The thing I respect about Cronenberg(and Romero for that matter) is how you can see his interests from his earliest flicks straight through to the present, developing the same group of themes over and over. Not always successfully, but there is a unique vision at work.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Nu-metal trailer music [groan]...

As an interesting trivia, the other day I was listening to the Kevin Smith radio show with guest Edgar "Shaun of the Dead" Wright, Wright said apart from a cameo of one of the many zombies, Romero also asked him to do a little music supervision as well.

That said, Romero is the man...if it does not do well in the box office, I'm happy there's a new installment of the Dead series, if it does well, more power to Romero.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

DISCUSS

love the dude, just watched the brood the other week and his first one with the parasites shivers, i have yet to see crash (its on my netflix list) but loved naked lunch and scanners is the shit. hes working on the film based on martin amis' london fields book (great writer, great book)

cronenberg also does some acting as well, his best role for me was in clive barker's nightbreed (big fan of his when i was in middle school and a horror junkie) as a psychotic shrink who killed families

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My roommate is a MASSIVE Romero fan, and he and his buddy drove up to (outside) Toronto, and crashed the set of Land of the Dead!! They were determined to get in as zombie extras, and even got as far as: on set, with sketchy paperwork, in line with legit extras to get their make-up assignment...but someone recognized them from when they tried to do it legit a couple of days earlier (woman at gate that day: "do you have any idea how mnay people have shown up here to 'be zombies' this week alone??"), and they got booted, although I guess they were nice enough about it...he has some cool shit, though, like a full shot list and a sheet of script changes for the day they were on-set. He has some ill Romero raers, too, like a VHS of "There's Always Vanilla," etc...when the "Dawn" special edition DVD came out, dude watched the director's commentary all the way through every night for like 3 weeks straight!!

My roommate is a MASSIVE Romero fan, and he and his buddy drove up to (outside) Toronto, and crashed the set of Land of the Dead!! They were determined to get in as zombie extras, and even got as far as: on set, with sketchy paperwork, in line with legit extras to get their make-up assignment...but someone recognized them from when they tried to do it legit a couple of days earlier (woman at gate that day: "do you have any idea how mnay people have shown up here to 'be zombies' this week alone??"), and they got booted, although I guess they were nice enough about it...he has some cool shit, though, like a full shot list and a sheet of script changes for the day they were on-set. He has some ill Romero raers, too, like a VHS of "There's Always Vanilla," etc...when the "Dawn" special edition DVD came out, dude watched the director's commentary all the way through every night for like 3 weeks straight!!

damn...I only watched all 3 in three nights....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/georgearomeroslandofthedead.html

The one film I will see on opening night this year, hell or high water. Can't wait. The trailer is short, but it just does my heart good to see Romero working on a major release again.

beepbeep!

John Leguizamo alert...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    looks pretty shitty to me, but Dennis Hoppers in it so i might have to check it.

BTW i thought the remake of Dawn of The Dead was a superior zombie flick

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

I hope you're not implying that dreck they just made about a year or two ago is in some way "superior" to the OG '78 "Dawn" - or even implying that it's "superior" in it's genre.

Re: Cronenberg, Videodrome was one film I thought deserved a sequel.
    Until I saw "Existenz" or whatever the fuck it was called - and thought better.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

I hope you're not implying that dreck they just made about a year or two ago is in some way "superior" to the OG '78 "Dawn" - or even implying that it's "superior" in it's genre.

Re: Cronenberg, Videodrome was one film I thought deserved a sequel.
    Until I saw "Existenz" or whatever the fuck it was called - and thought better.
    not superior to the original, but a superior zombie flick compared to alot of the other garbage they release. i liked it alot more than the much more acclaimed 28 Days later.

and yes. Videodrome is a fuckin rad movie that shouldve had a sequal!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I actually really liked the remake of "Dawn" myself...maybe because I had low expectations, but I just thought it had a great creepy atmosphere and some good performances...AND they did not re-make the "pie fight" scene from the original...WTF was up with that??? Not that the original isn't the shit...

• snosno 332 Posts
    I always considers the Dawn remake would fare much better if it's just a zombie movie riffing on the convention established by Romero and not called Dawn of the Dead. I mean, Dawn of the Dead featuring running zombies?

I always considers the Dawn remake would fare much better if it's just a zombie movie riffing on the convention established by Romero and not called Dawn of the Dead. I mean, Dawn of the Dead featuring running zombies?

The new one had it's moments(best stuff was the relationship that develops between Ving Rhames and the Rifle Store dude-who I think was in the OG Assault on Precinct 13, which itself owed a lot to Night of the Living Dead). I agree it would have been better suited as a stand alone zombie flick. But I guess marketing really works, because I only saw it due to it being a "remake" and I admit I was curious.

• snosno 332 Posts
    The new one had it's moments(best stuff was the relationship that develops between Ving Rhames and the Rifle Store dude-who I think was in the OG Assault on Precinct 13, which itself owed a lot to Night of the Living Dead). I agree it would have been better suited as a stand alone zombie flick. But I guess marketing really works, because I only saw it due to it being a "remake" and I admit I was curious.

Totally with you on this one. Besides, I think the opening and closing credit sequences (by Kyle Cooper, the guy who did title sequences for movies like Se7en, Dead Presidents, Spiderman etc) are pretty good too.