ISO East of Underground LP info

hendravishendravis 689 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Hey yall i picked up East Of Underground off of here on this you-send it upload album thread... and im tryin to find some info on this... anybody got anything on it? i know alot of the songs are covers .. i was wonderin which artists originally wrote these... such as Java Girl and Walk on By... any help would b awwesome thanks

Comments

• i was wonderin which artists originally wrote these... such as Walk on By...
    little dude alert!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Walk on By

the real funky black man soul

• ???
    uhh whos dees?

• Is***c H**yes

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Is***c H**yes
    If you don't know who originally wrote "Walk On By," you do not belong in

• B**t B*ch*arach

Is***c H**yes

• Is***c H**yes

Nobody knows a joke here anymore

• everybody knows its dionne warwick

• hello??

• so does anybody have any info on this album??
    or post a picture of the album so i can put the cover on ipod

• Do a google search for: "wrote walk on by"

• streaming dionne warwick's version right now... thanks for the help, sorry this should b a no brainer but yet i still had no idea, but sometimes it takes obscure music to get you into the no brainer material!

Those are all covers of big soul hits from back in the day. Temptations, Sly Stone, etc. It's strange that you are first coming in contact with them via EOA.

• Those are all covers of big soul hits from back in the day. Temptations, Sly Stone, etc. It's strange that you are first coming in contact with them via EOA.

Crink will fuck w/ you on some graemlin shit, but he is good about helpin out the lil' dudes of the world (myself included).

In case you didn't see it above by the picture or the asterisked name, Burt Bacharach wrote that song originally, but you're missing out if you've never checked out Ike Hayes' version of the same song off his "Hot Buttered Soul" lp, which shouldn't be hard to find. It has some breaks on it too.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    post a picture of the album so i can put the cover on ipod

I've always thought that there was something strange about that afro...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I've always thought that there was something strange about that afro...

Halloween wigs?

• i was wonderin which artists originally wrote these... such as Walk on By...
    little dude alert!

og stylings by sl-ck r-ck, right?

• I've always thought that there was something strange about that afro...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    hello??

Here's what I don't understand. You are relatively new to the board, probably a past lurker, and you take 12 whole minutes from your original post to start demanding ("hello??" is just fucking rude) answers/respect. To top it off, you come with little research done; there are more than half a million Google results for '"walk on by" +song', and the first entry lists "Burt Bacharach," plain as day. And you're not the only user who does this.
    Hey: I'm not pissed that younger cats don't automatically know the basics - it's not their fault that they weren't born in the middle of the 60s and are unfortunately cursed to hear the same two James Brown songs on the local whitey-based oldies radio station. Without a proper context, historical accounts get sketchy over the course of 30-40 years. But with a world of direct information a URL away, there's no excuse for this.

Look: www.allmusic.com is a pretty good internet site to get you started on the generally accepted basics of popular music history. That's where I went to (and sometimes still go) for discographies of the major artists. Just don't take their reviews for the gospel truth - dig the albums up yourself. Now get started.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    This album is being reissued in the not-too-distant future.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Here's another interesting angle - the reissue/free download by newbies vs. the cat who spent 4 years and several hundred tracking down the un-re-ished OG. Generation Entitlement vs. Gen X. Discuss.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Here's another interesting angle - the reissue/free download by newbies vs. the cat who spent 4 years and several hundred tracking down the un-re-ished OG. Generation Entitlement vs. Gen X. Discuss.

I think the best solution for all involved would be a way to listen to an LP or song online just once without the ability to download it and "own" it from that source. This way if you dig it you can go out and find an OG or re-issue and if you don't like it you'd never want to listen to it again anyway.

• Here's another interesting angle - the reissue/free download by newbies vs. the cat who spent 4 years and several hundred tracking down the un-re-ished OG. Generation Entitlement vs. Gen X. Discuss.

did that guy spend all that time and money only to make sure the record stayed secret in his collection? I hope not. I would hope he would want to share it, or brag that he found it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I agree, Rockadelic. I think that the National Library has the opportunity to do something truly special with the Internet re: the totality of American historical music. An expansion of the Folkways aesthetic; music for the masses. I mean, if Gracenote can analyze a digital code to discern Jr. and the Soulettes from Rappin' Rodney, then we're getting closer to this ideal. But, look out: here comes the RIAA and Big Music.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• this pic looks like one frame away from...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

this pic looks like one frame away from...
    Unfortunately the music isn't as good as she looks or the promising song titles might lead you to believe!