Aggro funk?

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Ok, so we did the tragic funk thing recently. What about some smack-up-foolios type of funk? I was just listening to "Ego Tripping" by Boobie Knight & The Soulciety and this track always gets me worked up. When the reverb-drenched horn stabs come in, I'm jumping around the apartment punching imaginary suckers left and right.I'm not just talking uptempo/danceable/energetic. I mean something that has a menacing air to it. A track could be slow as hell and still be sinister due to a particular instrumentation, the intensity of the playing, lyrical content, vocal delivery or whatever. What are some good aggressive warrior-style funk tracks?

Comments

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Burning Cities "Spoons"

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Not sure if they're menacing, but these two get me worked up:

General Crook - "Gimmie Some"
    Jr. Walker - "Gimmie That Beat"

SG

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    This one is "menacing":

Commodores - "Cebu"

• "40 Acres and a Mule"

• Frankie Newsome- "dont mess with my lovemaker" Pt 2

"forget that silly grin, cuz when you mess with my baby thats where I come in"

Another one to get you pumped in the opposite vein....

Charles Mintz- "give a man a break"

also note...... Sharon Jones "stop payin taxes"
    Sir Joseph Quarterman " The way the do my life"....although sounds more like suicidal funk in the same line as Cresa Watson..

Oh well.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Zeke Strong & The Ladyetts - I Laugh And Talk (But I Don't Play)

Maybe not "aggro" but definitely on some "don't mess with me" schitt.

• "Don't Rip Me Off!" - Tennyson Stephens
    "Manifesto" - James Lewis & the Case of Tyme

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    Frankie Newsome- "dont mess with my lovemaker" Pt 2

"forget that silly grin, cuz when you mess with my baby thats where I come in"

Sir Joseph Quarterman " The way the do my life"....although sounds more like suicidal funk in the same line as Cresa Watson..

2 good recommendations.

Especially like the Quarterman...sounds like he's gonna snap to me.....

• "soul brother testify" soul senders,

the metal version.

• darker shades ltd., "trackin down jody"

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    darker shades ltd., "trackin down jody"

You beat me to it.

I also must add:

Soul Bros INC - The Devil Made Me Do It
    The Soul Controllers - right on brother right on
    Roger and the Gypsies - Pass the Hatchet - Maybe it was that damn novie but I wanna kick ass every time I hear this.
    The Soul Seven - Mr Chicken Shit

• Archie Shepp's "Attica Blues." You can almost picture the female vocalists doing the Sista Neck Roll when the chorus rolls around.

A band actually got away with releasing a song with that title back in the day? Or is this some kind of Dap-Tones-ish retro funk band from the 2000's?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Archie Shepp's "Attica Blues." You can almost picture the female vocalists doing the Sista Neck Roll when the chorus rolls around.

A band actually got away with releasing a song with that title back in the day? Or is this some kind of Dap-Tones-ish retro funk band from the 2000's?

I think the original title was "Mr. Chicken...." Don't own it though.

• Chuckie Thurmond "Turn It Over" (Thurmoe-Blast)
    Recorded live at the Watts riots or something.

Li'l Tiger "Funky Fight" (Geodol)
    Vocals recorded during a golden gloves bout, which Tiger unsurprisingly dominated.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Chuckie Thurmond "Turn It Over" (Thurmoe-Blast)

Not to sound greedy, but does anyone have full audio of this tune? Whenever these ne-plus-ultra-funk-record discussions rear their (real) heads, Chucky--kinda like a bad penny--always turns up, and while the sixty seconds living over at funk45.com sound real good to me, I'm not sure they sound remarkable. Many respectable folks speak real highly of this tune, though, so I'm tryna hear whatever it is that they're hearing.

Anyway, apart from "Mr. Chicken ----," which is the firster-than-first thing I thought of, my votes for riot-funk firestarters would be:

"Listen To Me" - Baby Huey. This shit ???knows a way??? the same way that o.g. Jim Jones ???knew a way.??? No lines, though--no waiting. I read in "Yes Yes Y'All" that this was the bad-vibe stick-up-kid tune in the dance. "You know what, yegg? I believe you."

"(Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below..." - Curtis Mayfield. Relentless and abysmal. From the immolating fuzz-guitar that burns at the stake the babblers at the beginning through however the fuck that song ends (does it end? ever?), it???s an inescapable seven minutes and fifty seconds of pure, shared American Nightmare. ???And it was a hit, too!??? The theory has been advanced that the East Of Underground version is better. This is false.

Dark Magus ??? Miles Davis. Fuck the leviathan bass, fuck the boxcutter-to-the-face guitar, fuck the late-stage trumpet that stabs at thee from hell???s heart, fuck the voluptuous malignancy that drips from the whole of this black wreck???there???s fucking cowbell on this thing that???s cloven-hoofed enough to have Sinbad giving Medusa shotguns in hell.

Both sides of that Sir Stanley, Jimmy Castor???s "It's Just Begun" on Kinetic, and ???Black Horizon??? by, uh, Black Horizon. Haunted man shit, burning man shit, and Wicker Man shit, respectively. Though they pack indisputable funk underneath, all three of these have molar-grinding high ends that never fail to discomfort and unsettle. This is the kind of shit that makes you try to listen faster, in the hopes that it will loosen its grip sooner.

"Jump In The Water" - Beginning Of The End. This one starts on smash, and descends into pure madness. Cedric Brooks has a full-band version of ???Satta??? that for whatever reason always makes me think of a ragged legion of defeated knights, riding funereally into a forgiving but nonetheless setting sun. This tune makes me think of those same knights, crazed on adrenaline and LSD-in-???65-grade bad fantasia, trying to stay one step ahead of freight trains of pure lava being belched out of Soufriere Hills, only to be overtaken, speaking end-of-days prophecy in tongues as they go down, melted alive in their own brass armor. The lyrics insist that you must find the water, but the music makes it clear: there is no water.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I made a CD of Lalo Schiffrin cuts that make me want to chase someone. Or be chased.

• Chuckie Thurmond "Turn It Over" (Thurmoe-Blast)

Not to sound greedy, but does anyone have full audio of this tune? Whenever these ne-plus-ultra-funk-record discussions rear their (real) heads, Chucky--kinda like a bad penny--always turns up, and while the sixty seconds living over at funk45.com sound real good to me, I'm not sure they sound remarkable. Many respectable folks speak real highly of this tune, though, so I'm tryna hear whatever it is that they're hearing.

The funk45.com version sounds like ass. It's going to be comped soon, I think by Dis-Joint in SF, so you'll be able to hear it soon enough. Here's the deal, though: it's a funk track so intense, it doesn't make you want to dance so much as fuck shit up, moreso than any Black Flag track ever could. It's really intense, when that refrain comes in. "Turn It Over" as in "turn over a police car" or something.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    "Turn It Over" as in "turn over a police car" or something.

So Dante was yanking our collective frank, then, when he said that said tune was about, and I quote, "hitting it from the back"? Was 'Te just projecting?

• "Turn It Over" as in "turn over a police car" or something.

So Dante was yanking our collective frank, then, when he said that said tune was about, and I quote, "hitting it from the back"? Was 'Te just projecting?

Fuck, I can't understand the lyrics. It might very well be about that, I'm talking about the overall vibe of the thing.

• The Chucky Thurmon is about sexual deviancy.
    Proto-hyphy footnote: Thurmon is E-40's uncle.
    RAJ

• Fine words James, you can sure string a sentence around and around.

"Epitaph Movement", a version of some Spencer Davis track I can't peg off the top of my head right now, is my choice for riot funk. Fucken insane...

• A couple more:

Burning Star / Trip horns
    Black on white Affair / Bunch of Changes
    Creations Unltd / Corruption
    New Establishment in Soul / Whip it (on Jazzman comp same as Epitaph)
    + That Cavaliers Unltd reish

All would hold there own against any Black Flag, etc. and will make you want to fuck shit up!

I'm sure we could go on -