Willie West - Fairchild - Mix question

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I recently scored a copy of Willie West's 'Fair Child' on Josie, and the mix is completely different than the one on the Grapevine/Gary Cape New Orleans funk comp that came out last year. The 45 mix has a horn section which makes it harder/funkier. The CD mix - no horns at all. The question is, are there 45s with the horn-less mix???

Comments

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    The question is, are there 45s with the horn-less mix???

I had one that was not on Josie...can't remember what though...that didn't have horns. Acoustic funk! It does exist.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    Mine was also a promo...that could be it.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Was it on a local label? My Josie pressing is a wlp too.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

if your talking about the one you traded me, it has horns and it is on Josie..checked it out this morning when I saw this thread.

if your talking about the one you traded me, it has horns and it is on Josie..checked it out this morning when I saw this thread.

Back to square one as they say...

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    my copy is a wlp on josie with the horns like the ones mentioned above except mine has the Fairchild drum-a-pella on the flip side. Just the drums for 3 minutes. Same with my Inell Young Next Ball Game 45. Okay, I'm lying.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Was it on a local label? My Josie pressing is a wlp too.
    My copy of this 7" is a white label promo too, and it has the horns.
    Anyone have a stock copy of this? Maybe it was promo-only?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I have a stock copy; I think the issue here, though not completely sure, is that that the version on the comp was the unreleased version. I could be wrong, I have never heard the comp but I know there is a version that didn't make its way onto vinyl back in the day. I was under the impression the unreleased/diff mix was the one on the comp.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Oh I see. I thought we were trying to establish what release the comp sourced tbis from, but if the comp had an unreleased version, then thats not the issues at all.

I'll drink my coffee before[/b] I post in the morning from now on!

Oh I see. I thought we were trying to establish what release the comp sourced tbis from, but if the comp had an unreleased version, then thats not the issues at all.

I'll drink my coffee before[/b] I post in the morning from now on!

Unfortunately the comp liners make no reference to this being an unissued take, which is why I was asking. I'm so confused...

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    What comp and label is it on out of curiosity?

It's on 'Crescent City Funk, and beyond' on the Grapevine label (UK). Maybe two years old. Dusty Groove lists it but as "out of stock".

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

It's on 'Crescent City Funk, and beyond' on the Grapevine label (UK). Maybe two years old. Dusty Groove lists it but as "out of stock".

is that the one with the Al Trahan track? Always wondered why they would put a Texas track on a NOLA comp.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

is that the one with the Al Trahan track? Always wondered why they would put a Texas track on a NOLA comp.

well, Port Arthur might as well be Leezy Anna. Them folks is a little diffrint round them there parts.

Probably the same reason Tuff City keeps putting 'Humpty Dump' (an LA/Johnny Otis related track) on New Orleans funk comps...