Vintage Stereo Component Strut

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
OK so I just bought a really nice Tandberg 2030 receiver for the shop because my Harmon Kardon was on its last leg...Now I bought this piece from a studio, i don't know if they did a mod to it or what...But the thing has (what seem to be) MIDI ins instead of RCA???Never seen this except on ONE tape deck which had a similar out... what is going on here? Furthermore, is there any way to use this in my setup?

Comments

• OK so just googling around I found that this 5-pin in is called "philips type"... now I need to figure out how to adapt RCA to this...

Calling Sixtoo... Bambouche... people who know stuff about sound

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hey, JP,

I think what you're describing are more commonly known as DIN connections. There are other companies that use these on home audio equipment, like Naim. These types of connectors are more popular in europe. Some people think they work better than the traditional RCA. There are adapters available. Look for a hi fi shop in your area that sells Naim stereo equipment & they should be able to hook you up.

Peace

h

• Hey, JP,

I think what you're describing are more commonly known as DIN connections. There are other companies that use these on home audio equipment, like Naim. These types of connectors are more popular in europe. Some people think they work better than the traditional RCA. There are adapters available. Look for a hi fi shop in your area that sells Naim stereo equipment & they should be able to hook you up.

Peace

h

Thanks H*****!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Jonny, I think that 5 pins connectors are called "DIN", a german standard (I could be wrong tough)
    Just buy some DIN to RCA adapters and you are set.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    It's called a DIN-plug (yes, they are used for MIDI cables as well). Prevalent connector on older stereo equipment. With a soldering iron and some DIN and RCA/phono plugs you should be able to make the appropriate adapter cables in a jiffy.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    word DIN connectors... they are popular in germany and such

you should be able to get cables / adapters without too much problem

• word DIN connectors... they are popular in germany and such

you should be able to get cables / adapters without too much problem

PERFECT.

Thanks guys.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    and while you are at it, buy some Craig Deoxit and spray the volumen, balance, etc controls. Vintage stuff often need this step to get rid of some noises.

• and while you are at it, buy some Craig Deoxit and spray the volumen, balance, etc controls. Vintage stuff often need this step to get rid of some noises.

It's been barely used and is super-clean. It was in a professional, smoke-free studio for the last ten years.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

It's been barely used

More reason to go crazy with Deoxit on those controls! They tend to go rusty in some points due to non-usage. I don't know, I love to do that on my vintage shit.