Let's discuss the "LATIN" notion

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I think it was K. in Canada who said the other day "US latin is for suckers". I wouldn't say suckers, but I find the statement kinda true. I mean, wouldn't it be limitating to build your latin collection based only on Fania, Cotique, etc? Or latin artists who released records just in the USA?I'm not saying records released in latin countries are "more" latin that those above, but it's like saying "OK, now I'm into greek music" and you start to look for greek music recorded and released only in the USA. I can only understand this if it is a "I'll play it safe first with known records and then I'll go with more unknown foreign stuff" move. If not, then you are not collecting latin, you are just collecting "US latin".Discutir, por favor.

Comments

• reskresk 391 Posts
    you can almost make this arguement for people who buy hip hop thats not from NY (ie southern hip hop), jazz thats not from NO (ie chitown jazz), Reggae thats not from Jamaica (ie Toronto or BK reggae), etc.

Just cause the music didnt originate from the location, makes it "for suckers"?

BTW, Fania at least sold in some latin american countries, i know the bulk/if not all of my pops Fania collection was bought in Ecuador. Another reason that people probably pick up "US latin" in the US, is because its a whole lot more accessable than stuff that wasnt ever commercially available to the US (as far as real world buying/non-ebay). On top of that, the cross-genre influence with soul/rock, which is more apperant in "US Latin".

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I agree with you Jorge

All I want to say about "US latin is for suckers" (I endorse this statement) is the ebay raer factor. All things considered equal you look at that diane&carole (reynaldo style) being a grail and everything. I listened to those clips and it does not hold weight to pura salsa or stuff from latin artists, if the latin music from LA was more documented and known than other artists (oscar dleon for ex) would be "worth" more.

I agree us latin is more accesible, its just it seems people enjoy the latin vibe but they are only touching the tip of the iceberg sticking to US stuff.

About fania that shit is transcendent. Huge metaphoar is comparing it to Wailers, marley, island catalogue. Sure it was more accesible and Western known but it is both authentic and excellent.

Y con eso ciao

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I really appreciate US latin with a funky or jazzy touch. Adds a whole new dimension to "Latin" music. Fania and Cotique have great records. I don't know any pure Latin music from the US. So I can't really comment.
    But most so called Latin records from Brazil or Argentinia I know, are heavily influenced by US Jazz and Funk. You are speaking about pure Latin though, right?

I really dislike the Euro Latin scene. The Latin Fusion craze is still going strong over here. What's up with that? Late 70s, early 80s Fusion Jazz with Latin sounds. Horrible.

• Canadian rock is for suckers, so I suppose it all evens out.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Chicago kills the stateside Polka scene.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Canadian rock is for suckers, so I suppose it all evens out.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Canadian reggae is for suckers, so I suppose it all evens out.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    If you like Fania & Cotique lps, it's because you are into boogaloo & latin soul.

fans of boogaloo & latin soul may or may not give a flying fuck about rhumba, plena, tango etc etc.

the idea that one is more 'real latin' than the other is a little odd.

btw: I think what K really meant was, "US latin records are now too well known & accessible to creditcard-armed junior collectros like Reynaldo & thus unfit for a world-class super-baller such as myself"

---

• I think it was K. in Canada who said the other day "US latin is for suckers". I wouldn't say suckers, but I find the statement kinda true. I mean, wouldn't it be limitating to build your latin collection based only on Fania, Cotique, etc? Or latin artists who released records just in the USA?

For US collectors its very dificult finding latin thats made outside of the US. There is a lot of great stuff from South America, but its a fact that Palacio, Discolando, Virrey, and other labels with quality latin releases, were not widely distributed here (to my knowldege). You also need a large bankroll to get this stuff from people in South AM who are on ebay, if only for shipping prices alone. I would love some Blackstars type LPs, but the chance of me finding that in the "field" are slim to none. Also artists from America released a lot of great records. You think Larry Harlow is from la isla? Think Hector Lavoe would have been so big if he wouldn't have left Ponce?

And Soulhawk, as you well know, Fania and Cotique didn't release exclusively latin soul/boogaloo records, they have plenty of salsa and even more traditional quatro led records in their catalouges, not a lot, but enough.

• I think it was K. in Canada who said the other day "US latin is for suckers". I wouldn't say suckers, but I find the statement kinda true. I mean, wouldn't it be limitating to build your latin collection based only on Fania, Cotique, etc? Or latin artists who released records just in the USA?

I say just buy whatever the fuck you want to and go from there.

• I say just buy whatever the fuck you want to and go from there.

This is really everything you need to know about collecting..

...except for all the info about records and such

• The U.S. bossa scene was pretty weak when compared with the real thing.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I mean, wouldn't it be limitating to build your latin collection based only on Fania, Cotique, etc?

Not limiting if you don't purport to be into pan-Latin music in all its variations.

Personally, I'm really only into Latin music from New York (and some stuff from PR and Cuba), whatever you might wish to call it.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I mean, wouldn't it be limitating to build your latin collection based only on Fania, Cotique, etc?

Not limiting if you don't purport to be into pan-Latin music in all its variations.

Personally, I'm really only into Latin music from New York (and some stuff from PR and Cuba), whatever you might wish to call it.

But how do you know this?

Is this a serious question or a Reynaldo-type question?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "US latin is for suckers".
    This is true. Stay away from it or risk being a sucker!

Very serious. I don't think Latin music is geographically pindownable. And don't knock the Mexican Boogaloo.

Very serious. I don't think Latin music is geographically pindownable. And don't knock the Mexican Boogaloo.

But what I'm trying to tell you is that I'm just not interested in the music of the Latin world in all of its variations... anymore than I am into all Anglophone music.

I have very narrow interests... now if you want to say that the narrowness of those interests renders me unable to truthfully claim to be into "Latin" music, I'm fine with that.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I only buy Latin records on Command.

Rey only buys Latin records on Faux's Command.

Rey only buys Latin records on Faux's Command.

Rey has long since surpassed me.

He is the true collectro; I just provide the color commentary.

But what I'm trying to tell you is that I'm just not interested in the music of the Latin world in all of its variations... anymore than I am into all Anglophone music.

I have very narrow interests... now if you want to say that the narrowness of those interests renders me unable to truthfully claim to be into "Latin" music, I'm fine with that.

You're not understanding my point. I'm talking about similarities, not differences.

• you can almost make this arguement for people who buy hip hop thats not from NY (ie southern hip hop)

More like "people who buy hip-hop that's not from The United States[/b]."

**Cue the "Hijack" argument and countless posts from Australia's realest headz.**

you can almost make this arguement for people who buy hip hop thats not from NY (ie southern hip hop)

**Cue the "Hijack" argument and countless posts from Australia's realest headz.**

Hey Bambaataa played Hijack last Saturday. What the fuck is THAT all about???

you can almost make this arguement for people who buy hip hop thats not from NY (ie southern hip hop)

Isn't Bambaataa primarily a techno DJ these days?

Isn't Bambaataa primarily a techno DJ these days?

So the rumor goes, but I'd say it's more mad braeks of the old school variety plus mad braekz of the nu skool variety. [color:white] and on Serato, shhh [/color]