Is it really worth this much???

Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I just read Karlophone's thread about Craig Moerer's $400 dollar Carl 'Sherlock' Holmes for sale. (I got the same e-mail this morning). Dude is selling this Roy Ayers jawn for, well you can click the link and see for yourself... OVERFUCKINGPRICED I know that this record usually sells between $25-$35. I heard that dude was overpricing his records but damn. I guess the proof is in the pudding.Dealers who overprice vinyl get's the gasface.

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Hmmm, still cheap compared to London stores. Or most stores in Germany. My local dealer would sell that one for 65 USD.

It is though

• holy cow that seems expensive

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Hmmm, still cheap compared to London stores. Or most stores in Germany. My local dealer would sell that one for 65 USD.

It is though

No doubt about it, it's overpriced but it wouldn't be unusual to see it at that price in some London stores and probably a lot of other places outside the US. That said, it's normally than ??15-??20 ($30?) in the reasonable shops and online it's much cheaper.

• I've always wondered about this guy - I don't e-dig too much, but when I scan a "Buy It Now!" list of records on the 'Bay, Moerer is always the last one (read: most expensive) on the list - easily 20% or so higher than the average of the list most times.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

It is though

No doubt about it, it's overpriced but it wouldn't be unusual to see it at that price in some London stores and probably a lot of other places outside the US. That said, it's normally than ??15-??20 ($30?) in the reasonable shops and online it's much cheaper.
    Speaking of stores in London (or UK for that matter), what's up w/ the prices on recordkingz.com? Yeah, I know there an online shop but I remember seeing a copy of The Cyrkle-Neon LP for like $45!! That's a $10-$15 record.

Shit like this makes me avoid most online record stores. I've pretty much only dealt with the same online shops over the past 5 years (Jump Jump, davesrecords and Breakz4Dayz/Groundlift Mag) because their prices are fair and the service is on point. But I digress.

Craig Moerer need to stop lunchin', though.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Craig Moerer need to stop lunchin', though.

I hope this turn into a glorius moment

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    what's up w/ the prices on recordkingz.com?

I feel you, i see some records there priced at ike 40$ that i buy for a fraction.
    A lot of euro sites also overprice french and canadian commons.

Its a mix between a setsale and a ebay estimate. They cater to the internet shopper (more timmy diggalot than real head) so if the record looks "cool" and is probably actually good than they say 25$ and the guys is like

Recordkingz used to be even pricier than it is now but agreed that they do charge top whack for a lot of not so rare stuff and they'd be the first to admit it. I don't use them for that reason but in their defence, they have some amazing stock and they put the time and research in to dig all over the world to find interesting pieces. For example, there's an Usher Iyer 'Scotch and Soda' on EMI India - no holy grail but you try finding one out in the field. They also have a fair bit of decent stock for $15 or under if you look. A lot of name producers use them.

• hey foll its near mint WHITE LABEL. i assure you moerer has collectors on polydor promos of excellent lp's from the early 70's like this one. WHITE LABEL does tricks. it just turned a $4 allman bros lp on capricorn into a $140 record for me. plus red black and green is a solid $30 record on stock copy and early roy ayres is hard to find NM due to the fact that is is always partied on. $50 sounds not unreasonable to me. moerer never gets the gas face in my book that dude is incredible.

• I agree that Moerer's prices can seem high at times, but you are paying for the "Buy It Now," feature. And, frankly, that is worth something. It is worth the extra cash at times to shell out for that grail and know that you just bought it, rather than have to monitor an auction for 5 days, stress out over major jumps in price in the last hour...minute...ten seconds...and then lose it to a sniper. That is an added expense that I often consider. We buy records because, often, we would rather have records than money. Sometimes, I would rather have a record and some extra time on my hands, and in exchange, have LESS money.

Plus, if you look at some of the stuff he stocks (as AP mentioned above) he has some crazy pressings- white label promo, acetate, signed copies of stuff. Plus, the condition on things is excellent. Half that shit seems unplayed! Some of that is also what you are paying for.

edit: added note on condition

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    plus red black and green is a solid $30 record on stock copy and early roy ayres is hard to find NM due to the fact that is is always partied on.

I was trying to tell aimhighness this as he was passing on one for $5

And to dudes dissing on Craig's prices--just wait till you start wanting all your favorite albums mint. Dude will get his $50 for Roy, and he'll probably steal your girl too. Stop playa hatin.

• well let me just put it to you this way... craig would not price records that way if he couldn't get that paper. he's got the names. by names i mean the collectors. the good ones. its just like people jockin marcofunk on here, i mean it's funny. if you have the good names who have the coin and don't want to fuck around with " grandma's attic " ebay bullshit seller with the record shipped in a used pizza box and all ungraded and bullshit like that... thats all it takes and frankly thats all it's about... who your collectors are. craigs got some of the best.

hey foll its near mint WHITE LABEL. i assure you moerer has collectors on polydor promos of excellent lp's from the early 70's like this one. WHITE LABEL does tricks. it just turned a $4 allman bros lp on capricorn into a $140 record for me. plus red black and green is a solid $30 record on stock copy and early roy ayres is hard to find NM due to the fact that is is always partied on. $50 sounds not unreasonable to me. moerer never gets the gas face in my book that dude is incredible.
    Super sonned by AP.

You did make an excellent point with the white label business. Maybe I'm just whining because I know for a fact that the record sells for less than $50. It's whatever though. Unless I get that Donald Trump money, I ain't buying shit from that dude!

you are paying for the "Buy It Now," feature.

Mate, you've done too much eBaying when you start referring to a price tag in a shop as a Buy It Now feature.

• i also consider the guy a friend of mine. we have done some shit together and he has straight up taken care of me on some massive j giles band / 80's rock realated bullshit. im like " you can use all this dude " he's like " yea " and he took care of me... on more than one occasion too. the only reason i went attack dog is because he is a friend and he is simply one of the nicest, most straight up guys i have ever met in this seedy ass business. SO many people we could rag on in this business. total thieves whos prices are also outrageous. reseal bang job hackers. craig is not one of them. in fact he is the most professional person i have ever delt with and totally kind.

ap

• Mate, you've done too much eBaying when you start referring to a price tag in a shop as a Buy It Now feature

Thought about going back and clarifying that, but didn't. Now, I will. It was in regard to the above post about how Moerer's prices were always the last in the "Buy it Now," list, ie., the highest. Should've added the quote, but was being lazzzzzy.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    craigmoerer is the truth

i can't afford many of his records either, but i've bought a few (even at below 'market' value) and was more than pleased- his service is impeccable. condition is outstanding, packaging spectacular.

and best believe he will sell ALL those records at the prices he has listed, too.

he's the AP of set sales folls.

• trust me... he is way beyond me. i am just a free agent who buys a few nice collections a year likes boxes of records and offers alot more odd private shit than he does but he is the master of gnarly collections and gnarly collectoros. props.

i also consider the guy a friend of mine. we have done some shit together and he has straight up taken care of me on some massive j giles band / 80's rock realated bullshit. im like " you can use all this dude " he's like " yea " and he took care of me... on more than one occasion too. the only reason i went attack dog is because he is a friend and he is simply one of the nicest, most straight up guys i have ever met in this seedy ass business. SO many people we could rag on in this business. total thieves whos prices are also outrageous. reseal bang job hackers. craig is not one of them. in fact he is the most professional person i have ever delt with and totally kind.

ap
    I apologize if I came off like an asshole. I just had some bad experiences with dealers, who sell vinyl for fairly high prices. Why would a dealer treat me like a piece of shit when I just dropped $400 on wax?

I'll check out his website and hopefully there's some stuff I'll be willing to spend cheddar on.

Peace,
    MB

• it's all good dude. i aint trippin at all. i come off like an asshole everyday but i am usually just joking around or whatever. its all good.

ap

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    i also consider the guy a friend of mine. we have done some shit together and he has straight up taken care of me. on more than one occasion too. the only reason i went attack dog is because he is a friend and he is simply one of the nicest, most straight up guys i have ever met in this seedy ass business. SO many people we could rag on in this business. total thieves whos prices are also outrageous. reseal bang job hackers. craig is not one of them. in fact he is the most professional person i have ever delt with and totally kind.

ap

Agreed. There are a lot of straight players in the business, but a lot more lunchers. No one ever complains about his grading, refund policy, goofy descriptions. Think about it, soulstrut is filled with posters who need help dealing with ebay, paypal, DG mistakes, scams, ripoffs and lunches. CM has been doing it longer and better than any one here, so respect.

PS: Am I using 'lunch' correctly?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Major co-sign on the Moerer luv (ayo?). ...super accurate grading and rapid shipping make him one of the best in the business.

His prices are a bit on the high side, but if you need the title in Mint condition, you can truss CM.

SG

• I just read Karlophone's thread about Craig Moerer's $400 dollar Carl 'Sherlock' Holmes for sale. (I got the same e-mail this morning).

Dude is selling this Roy Ayers jawn for, well you can click the link and see for yourself...

OVERFUCKINGPRICED

I know that this record usually sells between $25-$35. I heard that dude was overpricing his records but damn. I guess the proof is in the pudding.

Dealers who overprice vinyl get's the gasface.

Alot of his stuff IS overpriced - but he can get it - sometimes. 200 for that Caprells 45 is on another planet - but on the other hand - he turns up some pretty crazy shit.

i also consider the guy a friend of mine. we have done some shit together and he has straight up taken care of me. on more than one occasion too. the only reason i went attack dog is because he is a friend and he is simply one of the nicest, most straight up guys i have ever met in this seedy ass business. SO many people we could rag on in this business. total thieves whos prices are also outrageous. reseal bang job hackers. craig is not one of them. in fact he is the most professional person i have ever delt with and totally kind.

ap

Agreed. There are a lot of straight players in the business, but a lot more lunchers. No one ever complains about his grading, refund policy, goofy descriptions. Think about it, soulstrut is filled with posters who need help dealing with ebay, paypal, DG mistakes, scams, ripoffs and lunches. CM has been doing it longer and better than any one here, so respect.

PS: Am I using 'lunch' correctly?
    Lunchin'=trippin'

But you and AP are right.

I didn't have my coffee before I started my anti-Moerer rant, so don't mind anything that I said.

• Major co-sign on the Moerer luv (ayo?). ...super accurate grading and rapid shipping make him one of the best in the business.

His prices are a bit on the high side, but if you need the title in Mint condition, you can truss CM.

SG

Not that he needs my approval but I have no complaints with Craig Moerer either. His delivery is first class (less than 7 days for $8 to the UK, who else is as cheap as that?) and the packaging boxes are as stiff as hell.

Yep, I'll pay the extra for that service rather than some dodgy ebay seller with wrong descriptions, $16 P&P and 4-6 weeks sweating on a delivery.

• Not that he needs my approval but I have no complaints with Craig Moerer either. His delivery is first class (less than 7 days for $8 to the UK, who else is as cheap as that?) and the packaging boxes are as stiff as hell.

Yep, I'll pay the extra for that service rather than some dodgy ebay seller with wrong descriptions, $16 P&P and 4-6 weeks sweating on a delivery.

Funny I was just recycling some mailers and picked up one of moroers and yeah that's some HEAVY cardboard.

Moroer is a pro and his stock is deep. Ebay networked with GEMM and musicstack beatches. He puts in major travel time for the heavy collections from what I hear. He doesn't need to fuck with dudes looking to find a VG headhunters online for $5.

I picked up charles moffett family sealed for $30 off him. Private 70s spiritual jazz shit for heads afflicted with a taste for that kind of thing. Shades of David Wertman sun ensemble kind of thing. Family jams with 12 year old kids on trumpet kind of thing. Good price, yes.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I've only bought one record from CM and his packaging was great, speedy delivery and all that. But damn if I'm gonna pay $150 dollars for a $30 record though. I image that he'll never unload some of his stuff with his insane pricing. I ain't mad though, the guy has crazy records. Ebay seller solidviper is even higher, 80 dollars for VG 10 dollar records and shit.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I image that he'll never unload some of his stuff with his insane pricing.

Naw, I think it all gets sold in time, and I don't think his prices are random... he knows what he can get

Serious collectors who wouldn't fuck with ebay will buy from him...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I've only bought one record from CM and his packaging was great, speedy delivery and all that. But damn if I'm gonna pay $150 dollars for a $30 record though. I image that he'll never unload some of his stuff with his insane pricing. I ain't mad though, the guy has crazy records. Ebay seller solidviper is even higher, 80 dollars for VG 10 dollar records and shit.

CM sells quality merch. Never bought from that solidviper guy, but his prices seem really wacky. Not as crazy as RECIM, though.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Who is this "solidviper"? Anybody know? I've wondered about them for years. Anyone ever bought from them?