CURTIS MAYFIELD ON...IMPULSE???

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Well, not really - actually it's Larry Frazier on Impulse, but Curtis was involved.Just found a single on Impulse by Frazier - "Before Six" b/w "After Six." It's a soul-jazz thing with a guitar lead, similar to fellow Impulse artist Mel Brown. Curtis Mayfield is credited with co-writing both sides.Anybody heard of this? What was the story? Was Curtis a closet jazz guy getting his ya-yas out? And what else did Frazier record, besides this single? (For some reason, I'm assuming he must have had a full Impulse album, because jazz is album music and one-off 45's was something that jazz cats just didn't do.)

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Frazier was a session guitarist with Impulse in the early 1960s and was on some Jimmy McGriff LPs. This 45 came out (it says here) in early 1962, so this would be early for Mayfield. I have no info on an LP.

• Frazier was a session guitarist with Impulse in the early 1960s and was on some Jimmy McGriff LPs. This 45 came out (it says here) in early 1962, so this would be early for Mayfield. I have no info on an LP.

I think he was actually already pretty well established as a song writer by then, from what I read in that Chicago Soul book. He was making a career for himself starting in the 50's.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Frazier was a session guitarist with Impulse in the early 1960s and was on some Jimmy McGriff LPs. This 45 came out (it says here) in early 1962, so this would be early for Mayfield. I have no info on an LP.

I think he was actually already pretty well established as a song writer by then, from what I read in that Chicago Soul book. He was making a career for himself starting in the 50's.

Well, early, as opposed to mid- or late-career. Mayfield was hired by Carl Davis to OKeh in 1963. He'd had some nice success at constellation and Vee Jay for the past couple of years (Including smashes like Gene Chandler's "Rainbow" and his Impressions' "For Your Precious Love"), but this (1962) was right about (if not before) the time that the Impressions went to ABC-Paramount.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    In a way, I guess that it would make sense. ABC-Paramount owned Impulse (via Creed Taylor), right? The Impressions had just been signed to the parent, and Mayfield drops into a session and suggests a few things?

• In a way, I guess that it would make sense. ABC-Paramount owned Impulse (via Creed Taylor), right? The Impressions had just been signed to the parent, and Mayfield drops into a session and suggests a few things?

Well, if ABC recording artist Ray Charles could do a token Impulse record, then Curtis could too, I guess. Not that it shocks me (Curtis was talented enough to score in any direction he wanted to), but this is the only time I've heard of direct Curtis involvement with a jazz record.