say you know a drug dealer who got busted...

meshmesh 925 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
and he happened to be a record collector and bedroom producer.What happens to his collection and gear? do they confiscate that shit? if so, does it ever go up for sale somewhere, like in an auction? i have heard of the cops selling confiscated cars like that. how do you find out where this sale would go on?im not 100% sure, but i think a guy i know got popped. this led to my above line of thinking. not so much for his collection(although i would like to have it), but collections in general. or gear. or other cool things drug dealers buy for themselves because they have tons of extra money.i imagine they take that kind of stuff, but what happens next. anybody in the know on this?

Comments

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

im not 100% sure, but i think a guy i know got popped. this led to my above line of thinking. not so much for his collection(although i would like to have it), but collections in general. or gear. or other cool things drug dealers buy for themselves because they have tons of extra money.

Depends. If he's white and from a privileged background, he'll probably get off on a technicality and this conversation is moot. Depends on the drug he's selling, too.

But, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

-e

• ask a cop
    good thinking

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Well, if they consider all that stuff as "evidence," (and I put that in quotes because the definition of the word can be extremely flexible in this situation), then it will be held by the cops until the dude's case is decided--including any and all appeals. Which means it could take a long time. When I was at the FBI, I saw a whole shitload of the old-school 1980s tape-dubbing towers that were being held as evidence from cases that were close to 10 years old. The wheels of justice grind slow, as they say.

If, on the other hand, all this stuff is just seized property, then there's a good chance they'll sell it off at government auction. There's also a good chance that the stuff will just sit in some storage room somewhere because that's a whole lot easier than filling out all the paperwork and shit to auction it off or otherwise get rid of it.

After all that typing, the answer is basically this: It's a crapshoot. But it's worth checking into because they often unload some serious shit at these government auctions.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    cool, thanks y'all. guess it will be awhile.

hopefully dude will get out of it, or he is not even busted in the first place.

oh,
    -------
    i got 1500 now. crazy.

• Could the cops say that it was purchased with drug money?

There ya go. bye bye stuff...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    So, which is worst: a pedophile record collector or a drug dealer?

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Could the cops say that it was purchased with drug money?

thats what i am figuring, but what i want to know is what do they do with the stuff once they confiscate it.

and a pedophile is way worse than a drug dealer, unless its a pedophile/drug dealer, which would probably be the worst.

• In NC they sell this stuff at our State Surplus auctions. I've had some people hip me to keyboards and turntables showing up around here.

I always thought, it was more of a tax thing than a drug thing. If they catch you selling, they hit you with a double whammy by saying since you made unclaimed drug money you evaded taxes, so they can seize your possesions.

Moral of the story, be sure to claim that extra drug money income.