Another Serato question: external adapters

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
So...I finally took Dildo??? out of the box and hooked it up. I'm having problems getting it to work with an external adapter though. 1) I have a variable voltage adapter with reversable polarity and it to 9V, with correct polarity...and when I try to run the Serato box WITHOUT plugging it into a USB source, I got this huge buzzing feedback that overrides my mixer. If I turn down the voltage, the buzz dies down with it but regardless, I can't get the turntable input to register on my mixer. 2) If I have both the USB and adapter plugged in, then I can use my TTs even if I'm not running Scratch Live.3) If I unplug the USB, the buzz is back AND...4) If I unplug the adapter but leave the USB in, the buzz is gone but the Serato box no longer allows me to play anything. So basically, I need to have BOTH plugged in, in order to use the box without running Scratch Live.What gives?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what kind of laptop are you using? any modern laptop should have powered usb ports. does the serato box light up when you plug the usb cord in?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    what kind of laptop are you using? any modern laptop should have powered usb ports. does the serato box light up when you plug the usb cord in?

Yes. both the USB light and the adapter light register fine. But like I said, I need to have BOTH plugged in for my mixer set-up to work correctly without turning on Scratch Live. I was under the impression that I could use the box without needing the USB plugged in.

By the way, if I have both plugged in, I can dial the adapter down all the way down and it still works fine so long as there's a minimum of power coming in from the adapter.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    does the usb light come in when you don't have the adapter plugged in? do you happen to have something else that is powered by usb handy? maybe you need to update your laptop's drivers or something

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    dub, here's the deal. The adapter for SL is pretty damn specific. It's not just the volts that have to be correct, but you GOTTA make sure that the amps are covered spot on or else it's not reccomended at all.

Gotta be 500MA or higher or else naggannahappun.

The manual is pretty specific about whats needed to get the SL box running on it's own. Make sure that your adapter meets all specs.

hope that helps

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Cashless,

I read the manual - the adapter I'm using meets all the specifications (it's actually 300Ma or higher, mine goes to 1,000). I might see if I can find a 9V DC adapter (vs. a variable output one).

I've posted over at Serato's forums so we'll see what they say.

dub, here's the deal. The adapter for SL is pretty damn specific. It's not just the volts that have to be correct, but you GOTTA make sure that the amps are covered spot on or else it's not reccomended at all.

Gotta be 500MA or higher or else naggannahappun.

The manual is pretty specific about whats needed to get the SL box running on it's own. Make sure that your adapter meets all specs.

hope that helps