New season of the Shield anyone?

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Way over the top. For anyone that actually liked the last season, this season is bringing it back to the REAL Shield. Crazy ass plot lines, Vic playing Forrest Whitaker's character in the last episode. Dutch going from the butt of everyone's joke to be a cynical gray hairing detective ready to charge people in the drop of a hat. I love this show!

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Co-sign foll!!!!!! Best show on TV at the moment. This season has been ill so far! I can't wait to see the next episode. Great chracaters and excellent writing. The plots are getting crazy.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah man, shit has been great. This week was off the hook. I still don't like Whittaker though.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Yeah man, shit has been great. This week was off the hook. I still don't like Whittaker though.

Oh c'mon! He's obsessed with Vic. He's trying to play every angle against him, and Vic turned around and played him. He flipped out and trashed his crappy little apartment. I love that shit!

Also, the episode before last when Vic tracked down the Salvadoran woman that was his informant who had turned on him to work for Whittaker. Man, when Vic got that knife up to her throat, pure tension. Then when Whittaker walked in, it was like the subtle confrontation. Vic's saying, I know what you're doing, don't fuck with me. He's like the goddamn puppet master.

Whittaker's character lacks charisma to me. Maybe that's on purpose but I would have liked him better if he were more like C.C. Pounder's character: straight-laced by hard-nosed. Whittaker's character is an asshole and underhanded; there's no way you could remotely root for him and that makes him a strawman in my book.

Whittaker's character lacks charisma to me. Maybe that's on purpose but I would have liked him better if he were more like C.C. Pounder's character: straight-laced by hard-nosed. Whittaker's character is an asshole and underhanded; there's no way you could remotely root for him and that makes him a strawman in my book.

I think his character's got more than that going for him. Liek in the last episode, he would throw in little laughs and comments about things he'd learned about the Strike Team from the plant in their clubhouse.

I thought it was also a great piece of writing when Whittaker told Asavedez (just slaughtered that spelling) that the Strike Team had won the Police baseball championship, than it was the trophy that had the bug in it, and then at the end of the episode Vic threw in that comment, we'll just have to wait to beat I.A. again as they were throwing away the bugged trophy. The guy running the bug then tells Whittaker, that they did beat I.A. in the semis last year.

How many more episodes are left in the season? It always feels way too short, doesn't it?

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I've agree with Oliver, Forrest Whittaker's character seems almost forced, BUT - he's definitley a good addition to the show. The acting/storylines are straight ridiculous. I had no clue how they were going to get out the last episode but they came with some brilliant shit. This season is WAY better than last's and it's not even through. I can't wait to see how this all plays out. Hands down, my favorite show on TV.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    great show/season, Cavanaugh is holding back,
    Whittakers character will show so good twists & depth in upcoming episodes.
    will Asavedez side up with iad or vic , will dutch boy have his revenge
    will thief be any good .............

• Way over the top. For anyone that actually liked the last season, this season is bringing it back to the REAL Shield. Crazy ass plot lines, Vic playing Forrest Whitaker's character in the last episode. Dutch going from the butt of everyone's joke to be a cynical gray hairing detective ready to charge people in the drop of a hat. I love this show!

I'll admit it, even though I *knew* Vic just wouldn't be shootin fools like that, they got me. I'm thinking "WTF!!!!".....but it was classic Mackey. You can't beat him.

ODub's points are valid, but to me, "The Shield" is a TV show where you kinda put aside some of yr critical thinking skills and just jump on for the ride. Pure viscera. Whittaker has been fun to watch. Each week I wonder what slimy sneaky tricks he's gonna be doin on this episode.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i'm loving the show but this is mandatory

you kinda put aside some of yr critical thinking skills and just jump on for the ride.

as far as stacking this season up to last's, i gotta side with the last one. the beginning of last season had vic and shane at odds, which i thought provided for great drama. you can't fuck with vic, but that doesn't go for all the guys in the squad. shane seems to be his achilles heel - he has fucked up so much and vic has stood by him. and even now his errors are still following the team. that, plus aceveda going after the dude who raped him. and was that also the season where the detective strangled the cat? good stuff.

forest is a good addition but i don't think his potential has been fulfilled yet - that's not to say it won't though.

sidenote - the episode that got me hooked to this show was when aceveda got raped. i just thought it was so over the top and for some reason hilarious.

• i'm loving the show but this is mandatory

you kinda put aside some of yr critical thinking skills and just jump on for the ride.

as far as stacking this season up to last's, i gotta side with the last one. the beginning of last season had vic and shane at odds, which i thought provided for great drama. you can't fuck with vic, but that doesn't go for all the guys in the squad. shane seems to be his achilles heel - he has fucked up so much and vic has stood by him. and even now his errors are still following the team. that, plus aceveda going after the dude who raped him. and was that also the season where the detective strangled the cat? good stuff.

forest is a good addition but i don't think his potential has been fulfilled yet - that's not to say it won't though.

sidenote - the episode that got me hooked to this show was when aceveda got raped. i just thought it was so over the top and for some reason hilarious.

Some of that stuff you mentioned is a Season 3/4 mashup.

I'm with you though, last year was no slouch. Dirty Shane tryna stand up on his own and needing the Strike Team to bail him out. Plus, Antwan Mitchell is the best villain character the series has ever had. Anthony Anderson killed it last year.

CORRINE MACKEY: STOP SNITCHING

kavanaugh's interrogation of ms mackey was ludicrous. after he established himself to her as someone who would lie about having a autistic child, she goes
    ahead and buys all of his bullshit, and, despite the fact that she knows she isn't forced to say anything, snitches on her ex-husband, her babies' daddy, her
    family's provider?! ludicrous i tell ya.
    in last week's discussion, we brought up the point of needing to suspend our rational thoughts, but this shit took it too far!
    Vic should off her next.

the storyline with detetcive weigenbach and cch pounder is getting good though
    and i like how kavanaugh is trying to fuck with all aspects of vic's life now.

• My man Joe Scudda, who's featured on a bunch of Little Brother's projects played Casper on the latest episode. Joe aka Jose Problemo is a super nice & talented guy, who should be doing some big things musically in the near future.

So it was real funny to hear that line "next thing you know we're gonna be hearing about some shitty rap album you're gonna wanna put out"

Good to see him doing it big on the tube.

• they constantly film this show on the corner of where i lived until last month... in silverlake around sunset,edgecliffe & griffith park blvd. they once used the local coffeeshop for an episode and crashed a car through the front glass. crazy stuff.

Yes! Dutchboy use to be the whipping boy for teh whole station house. Remember when Vic stole his chair? They all pissed on him until he broke one guy during an interrogation. Now he's getting gray hair and he's just completely cynical and bitter. CCH Pounder has always been a fav and this serial killer they brought back looks to be good.

• the storyline with detetcive weigenbach and cch pounder is getting good though

Yes! Dutchboy use to be the whipping boy for teh whole station house. Remember when Vic stole his chair? They all pissed on him until he broke one guy during an interrogation. Now he's getting gray hair and he's just completely cynical and bitter. CCH Pounder has always been a fav and this serial killer they brought back looks to be good.

He's not completely cynical and bitter. The character is an odd bird and somewhat awkward socially, but look how much he cares for and stands by Claudette.

He's not completely cynical and bitter. The character is an odd bird and somewhat awkward socially, but look how much he cares for and stands by Claudette.

When I said cynical and bitter I'm talking about towards his work. Twice this season he's booked somebody in a drop of the bucket. First was the 1st episode during the school shooting and then when that guy jumped out of a car and got stuck in a fence and refused medical treatment. Those are things he wouldn't do in the past I don't think.

He's a great character overall. Does anyone remember when he strangled that cat at night because he'd been grilling a serial killer who talked about how great it was to kill someone? That was some shit right there.

When I said cynical and bitter I'm talking about towards his work. Twice this season he's booked somebody in a drop of the bucket. First was the 1st episode during the school shooting and then when that guy jumped out of a car and got stuck in a fence and refused medical treatment. Those are things he wouldn't do in the past I don't think.

He's a great character overall. Does anyone remember when he strangled that cat at night because he'd been grilling a serial killer who talked about how great it was to kill someone? That was some shit right there.

yeah, i referenced that above. that and aceveda getting raped are in my top 5 shield scenes ever.
    yeah, i know, i'm a sicko.

CORRINE MACKEY: STOP SNITCHING

kavanaugh's interrogation of ms mackey was ludicrous. after he established himself to her as someone who would lie about having a autistic child, she goes
    ahead and buys all of his bullshit, and, despite the fact that she knows she isn't forced to say anything, snitches on her ex-husband, her babies' daddy, her
    family's provider?! ludicrous i tell ya.
    in last week's discussion, we brought up the point of needing to suspend our rational thoughts, but this shit took it too far!
    Vic should off her next.

so no one else was annoyed by this?

ey

I actually bought it. She's been freaking out over Kav the whole time. I could see her folding as soon as she walked in. She's been tripping about his threat to send her to jail from the get go.

it's just so... so... unSUBSTANTIATED.
    oof, it took a lot to get that big word out.
    alright, i'll stop the criticizing now

I actually bought it. She's been freaking out over Kav the whole time. I could see her folding as soon as she walked in. She's been tripping about his threat to send her to jail from the get go.

she took the stick of gum ...............

she took the stick of gum ...............

EXACTLY!

Good call.

You gotta remember that Vic and his wife are separated as well.

• it's just so... so... unSUBSTANTIATED.
    oof, it took a lot to get that big word out.
    alright, i'll stop the criticizing now

In a way it seems like she started talking a bit too easily, but on the other hand you know she had to have questions in her mind about Vic, and when Kavanaugh brought up the money I'm sure that put a kernel of doubt in her head. That, and Kavanaugh playing hardball with her, being all up in her face and confrontational, it made her crack. That, and it's a TV show so they weren't gonna draw it out for weeks or anything. And yeah, that was a good point somebody made about her taking the gum earlier, I hadn't even really thought about that directly in relation to the interrogation.

All I do know is that this show is starting to heat up again. After the first couple weeks I thought the Kavanaugh thing was going to be annoying but after this week I'm really looking forward to the next episode. The Kavanaugh character flying off the handle and going a bit psycho is fun.

, and when Kavanaugh brought up the the pregnant cop who vic was bangin'

hell hath no fury .......