Rep the RR Pride of Yer Area

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
dude i was born in nebraska. if i repped that, all i'd have was 311 and bright eyes. gross? but since i lived there only 3 years (& can't remember) and grew up in the Bay Area, i can rep awesome artists like Chocolate Watchband, Too Short, semi-CCRcan i just say that i wish i knew of more albums that were mastered all heavy, thick and fun like Blue Cheer?what artists are you proud that are from yr area?(NYCers are disqualified)

Comments

• Steve Perry is from my hometown but he moved to San Francisco to make it big...
    Then there's me in my private mind garden...

• chrischris 287 Posts
    dude i was born in nebraska. if i repped that, all i'd have was 311 and bright eyes. gross?

l.a. carnival & henry peters & the imperials are rep-able and ungross, though.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Sonoma Rag & $27 Snap on Face via Wally George and Rage Against the Machine.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Dude. Me and Josh went to the same high school. Can't fuck with that.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

I got to correspond with one of the guys from the group, too.

• born in oakland, raised in napa so:

too short
    mc hammer
    E-40 and the click
    Mac Dre
    N2Deep

• Janis Joplin and UGK.

• Neil Young went to my high school and lived in my neighbourhood. He wasn't born here, though.

Junior Mance was born in Chicago, but now lives here - so I consider him part of Toronto.

I guess all we have is Sum 41 from just outside of Toronto.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

I like them all.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm just going to talk about the people I know and grew up with.

That all starts out with my H.S. days growing up in Richmond in West Contra Costa County and going to De Anza High School in 9th grade and Pinole Valley High School from 10th-12th grade.

These were my friends from Pinole H.S. repping the Pinole/Richmond/El Cerrito area Possessed:

Next, was the band we all worshipped and hung out with, again representing the greater West Contra Costa area:

3rd, everyone always thinks these guys were from the Bay Area, but they're actually transplants from L.A. They did live in El Cerrito for a long period of time however when they were just starting to make a name for themselves.

THE coolest dude of them all:

Then we gotta move onto later in High School when I was into Punk.

Representing El Sobrante and Rodeo and De Anza High School in Richmond in the 9th grade!

Also Rodeo, and their 1st drummer was in Isocracy and a graduate of De Anza.

And to represent the rest of the early Gilman St. crew when I was living in Berkeley.

Lint, their guitar player lived 2 blocks down from the Metallica house in El Cerrito. The rest of the group were Berkeley kids.

Blatz, with another kid from Pinole

Perfect example of the Berkeley Punk sound

Berkeley Hardcore and their singer is one of the funniest shit talkers around.

Came after my time and half of them now live in L.A. but 2 of them were in Op Ivy and their drummer's from El Cerrito/Albany area, again West Contra Costa!

And just to throw in a couple bands that I was in:

Oh shit, almost forgot, Jake the singer from Filth was from El Sobrante! West Contra Costa!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Seattle roll call

Jimi Hendrix
    Heart
    Nirvana
    Soundgarden
    Pearl Jam
    Temple of the Dog
    Alice in Chains
    Sir Mix-A-Lot
    Steve Miller
    Ray Charles*
    Quincy Jones*
    Overton Berry

Many many more as well

* Not "from" Seattle, but spent years playing here.

• uhh...is it ok to admit that once upon a time i spent a LOT of time listening to dhc????
    or is that the kind of thing we don't disclose. i would be afraid to hear that cd now because i might still know all the words??????????

• dayday 9,611 Posts

me.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Oh shit, almost forgot, Jake the singer from Filth was from El Sobrante! West Contra Costa!

Filth is real good. Was he a big junkie or were his lyrics a bit fictional?

No, wasn't a junkie.

• Since NYC is disqualified, I will rep for San Juan, PR:
    Pablo Casals
    Tito Rodriguez
    Ismael Rivera
    Pijuan
    Roberto Roena
    Nacho Sanabria
    Tommy Olivencia
    Andy Montanez
    and a whole lot more

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

No, wasn't a junkie.

No matter, his vocal delivery immediately set the bar for me personally, when it comes to punk. Very raw, and like you said, a great shit talker. A true power when it comes to slinging obscenities.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    SRV (RIP):

Tim Kerr:

Kenny Dorham (RIP):

Martin Banks (RIP):

Carnival Beats:

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

Repped.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    (NYCers are disqualified)

• I went to high school with Johnny Cash's granddaughters.

In college I lived near
    Nelly
    Oliver Sain
    The Legend of O'Mar

Now I live near
    Slug
    Prince
    Morris Day
    The Soviettes
    Dillinger Four
    Low
    Fog

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Oh yeah, Tom Waits lives in Sonoma too.

• All members of this band went to my high school (Ridley High School)in PA.In fact they formed and played at the school.

Todd Rundgren[/b] was from Upper Darby PA. My high school biology teacher was in his class;mentioned that Todd was very strange and built a guitar in woodshop class.

Joan Jett was from Darby PA.

Cinderella the cheezy 80's hair band were from Springfield PA.They did a commercial for Pat's Chili Dog's w/heffer jingles. My friend almost played drums for them. The guitar player delivers chinese food now....ugh.
    In fact there was plenty of local cheeze in the 80's.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    zagreb prog/psych

• Now I live near

Prince

• I grew up in Bethel, NY, site of Woodstock.

Not much else music-related went down there. However, acts like Pucho & The Latin Soul Brothers and who knows who else played regularly at the Catskill Resorts that were close by.

• this dude is from my hometown.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

this dude is from my hometown.

You're talkin' bout, KFed, shig?

Even though I'm not from here (Columbus, GA) and there's no musicians worthy of note from my hometown (Atlantic City, NJ) this dude repped hard for Columbus...

Check out his story right here.

• Now I live near

Prince

i think he might live in LA now actually. my brother saw him in an LA bar recently and said he looked like a porcelain doll.

best excuse for late payment i've ever received: i designed a logo for a friend of mine who, as it turned out, was working security at paisley park. he said "i can pay you next week. we're all waiting for prince to get back in town to sign our paychecks."