Anybody Seen "OLD BOY" SPOILER ALERT

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Korean Flic about a dude who has sex with his daughter on accident and cuts off his tongue?Watched it last night. Kinda bugged out. But in a really horribly good way.

Comments

• Watched it last night. Kinda bugged out. But in a really horribly good way.

Wait'ago and spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Yes, flick is next level.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    that shit was crazy. Aser sent me that but the DVD crapped out at 1 hour. Kinda good though, I don't know how much more of that I could take.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Korean Flic about a dude who has sex with his daughter on accident and cuts off his tongue?

Watched it last night. Kinda bugged out. But in a really horribly good way.

Wait'ago and spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Yes, flick is next level.

thankfully i watched this one week ago. i woulda been heated if i hadn't.
    bizzo, i suggest you edit

its too bad they dont make more flicks like this coming out of america
    well, i guess mel gibsons 'payback' wasn't too bad
    the lead actor, visual style, and the film's concept were all top notch

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Nate, edit your post in case dudes haven't seen it! Or put a spoiler alert.

I liked it. We're showing "Three Extremes" at my theatre this weekend, which has a short directed by the same dude. It's too bad I'm working because I really want to see it. The theatre's going to be so packed with nerds. I might take my camera.

• this movie sucked. does it get a pass or something because it's foreign? straight-up shock value and little else. some nice shots, no doubt. but without the twisted shit at the end, this is basically a boring-ass movie. I tripped over the sickness of sleeping with your daughter for like a day and then realized that i want my 2 hours back.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    that shit was crazy. Aser sent me that but the DVD crapped out at 1 hour. Kinda good though, I don't know how much more of that I could take.

grrrrr, dah, I will have to send you another copy.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Korean Flic about a dude who has sex with his daughter on accident and cuts off his tongue?

Watched it last night. Kinda bugged out. But in a really horribly good way.

Definitely bugged out. The movie works for how long it keeps the primary twist a secret, though once that twist is revealed (why dude is punishing Dae-Su), you can kinda see the other twist coming before too long. Still pretty crazy, though.

I liked the fight scene with Dae-Su in the hallway with the hammer--one continuous take!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

grrrrr, dah, I will have to send you another copy.

Stop getting ur stuff from shotty Markham One dealers....

HA.. I KEED!

Aser, I was up ur way on the weekend. I should have dragged you out for food!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Althoug it looks like 1 continious take, I think it was shot over 2 or 3 days...

and yes, the movie was awesome. I have to admit, I didn't see the twist of him banging his daughter coming at all. and then at the end how he's like fuckit, i'm gonna keep banging my daughter! that was sick and awesome too.

i know some people don't like the movie, but I don't think its getting a pass for being asian. I've seen plenty of asian movies that suck ass. this movie was rad though.

• I really dug "Old Boy" too. Lots of stuff going on besides him fucking his daughter although that is the BIG one. What about being locked up in a hotel room for years. And what about the people that run the hotel that locks people up for years?

Has anyone seen "Sympathy for Mr. Vengence"? Same director. I heard good things from people who've seen both...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yes hthe ending bits were a bit anti climactic after al lthe lead up but a great flic nonetheless.. i saw it in the theatre here when it came out i nlimited release.. it was at the VIP thatre (dont ask its a bit of a joke) and the enitre audience was suave asian dudes and their primped up honeys... and then movie starts and dude is hammering, chowing on live octocpus, cutting off tongue.. something tells me those guys didnt exactly score afterwards...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    this is part of a vengence trilogy by the same director if im not mistaken

• yes that movie is dope. i usually don't dig totally violent action movies but i thought it was cool, kind of reminded me of pulp fiction...

• i'll korea-sign on this one. intense flick, 2 thumbs up!

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

Has anyone seen "Sympathy for Mr. Vengence"? Same director. I heard good things from people who've seen both...

Its a good flick, though not as strong as oldboy i dont think - The lead isnt nearly as charasmatic (and is mute, actually), and the cinematogrophy is weak in comparison, though there are several incredible shots, one of which is an overhead hsot of a bloodied body being dragged through a river.

The violence was almost more shocing then oldboy's, i think. Severed achilles tendons, electrocutions, the whole nine. Yikes.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    kind of reminded me of pulp fiction...
    yeah that's cuz quentin bites this style of film (kill bill?)

lady vengeance, the third in the trilogy, is coming out soon in the US

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    chowing on live octopus

That part grossed me the fuck out.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Its a good flick, though not as strong as oldboy i dont think - The lead isnt nearly as charasmatic (and is mute, actually), and the cinematogrophy is weak in comparison, though there are several incredible shots, one of which is an overhead hsot of a bloodied body being dragged through a river.

The violence was almost more shocing then oldboy's, i think. Severed achilles tendons, electrocutions, the whole nine. Yikes.

Sympathy was more difficult for me, too. Old Boy is vicious, but very stylish, which always dulls the ???reality??? aspect and makes the characters less sympathetic to me. Sympathy is much more brutal and unrelenting ??? the people are ordinary folks in everyday/believable situations and stuck in this spiral of bad circumstances leading to worse circumstances to even more so???

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    this movie sucked. does it get a pass or something because it's foreign? straight-up shock value and little else. some nice shots, no doubt. but without the twisted shit at the end, this is basically a boring-ass movie. I tripped over the sickness of sleeping with your daughter for like a day and then realized that i want my 2 hours back.

you sir are soft.
    maybe "pretty woman" or "how to loose a guy in 30 days" is more up your alley. this movie is raw as fiduck and has an excellent storyline.

next you're going to tell me you didn't like "gummo", huh?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    this movie sucked. does it get a pass or something because it's foreign? straight-up shock value and little else. some nice shots, no doubt. but without the twisted shit at the end, this is basically a boring-ass movie. I tripped over the sickness of sleeping with your daughter for like a day and then realized that i want my 2 hours back.

you sir are soft.
    maybe "pretty woman" or "how to loose a guy in 30 days" is more up your alley. this movie is raw as fiduck and has an excellent storyline.

i'll tell you that i didn't like gummo.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

you sir are soft.

hey, you guys wanna go to palm springs with me and HJ on the 17th? we wanna go hiking and shit.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

you sir are soft.

i'll tell you that i didn't like gummo.

i think the sarcasm of my post was lost. i know gummo isn't everyone's cup of tea.

• "how to loose[/b] a guy in 30 days"

The fuck kinda movies are YOU watching, Cas?!?!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Sympathy was more difficult for me, too. Old Boy is vicious, but very stylish, which always dulls the ???reality??? aspect and makes the characters less sympathetic to me. Sympathy is much more brutal and unrelenting ??? the people are ordinary folks in everyday/believable situations and stuck in this spiral of bad circumstances leading to worse circumstances to even more so???

Amen. Found both films pretty exhausting experience to watch, more for the underlying brutality than anything visual. Definitely preferred Old Boy - would probably rank it as one of the best modern films I've seen in years.

Also, Lady Vengeance finally comes out in UK cinemas this week.