Films similar to La Planete Sauvage...

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone got any recommendations?I heard about two other movies by the same director -- Time Masters and Light Years... anyone seen these and can vouch for them?? Anyone know anything else that equally as bugged and animated from the 70s? Ill soundtrack would be a bonus!peace.

Comments

• Anyone got any recommendations?

I heard about two other movies by the same director -- Time Masters and Light Years... anyone seen these and can vouch for them?? Anyone know anything else that equally as bugged and animated from the 70s? Ill soundtrack would be a bonus!

peace.

Yo Sheep,

Time Masters (Les Maitres Du Temps in french) for what I recall from my childhood is nice, but the soundtrack is not that good.
    I remember a TV anime serie called "Les Mondes Engloutis" which is pretty on the same veine too, maybe by the same director/artist..

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    On a similar note, has anyone seen Videodrome? I heard it's pretty whacked out.

• On a similar note, has anyone seen Videodrome? I heard it's pretty whacked out.

Are you talking about the David Cronenberg film from 83 w/ James Woods and Deborah Harry?

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

Are you talking about the David Cronenberg film from 83 w/ James Woods and Deborah Harry?

It is pretty whacked out! Its worth checking out

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i have the light years joint.
    it was a good movie... really dug it. the soundtrack is nowhere near as fresh as fantastic planet. id recommend it.
    id be interested to know of some more animated in the same vein as well

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    check out NAUSICAA...

• Raoul Servais' work is in some ways comparible to La Planete Sauvage. He did amazing shorts and at least one feature called Taxandria. Visualy it's great but even more boring than La Planete Sauvage

His best known short is called Harpya.

There's an animated short called Topor et Moi directed by softsex diva and a friend of Topor Sylvia Kristel which has some sequences in which Topor's drawings are animated.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    check out NAUSICAA...
    If you liked the movie, check the comic. Serious. . Especially in comparison to the movie.

• ive never seen planete sauvage.

but im guessing its some weirdo shit. so look up these dudes.

brothers quay
    jan svankmajer
    bolex brothers

these are mostly stop motion animation but the shit is seriously how they say "whacked"

• Holy crap, anyone seen Memories by Otomo? That last episode Canon Fodder... One of the best things I've ever seen.

Oh yeah, I dug the animatrix as well.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

Finally, someone else who has read it!

I was living across the street from a comic store when I was reading it. I bought the first two trades, read them in one sitting, ran back to the store and bought the next 5. Read the whole thing in 3 days.

I got the first trade janked by someone I lent it to (hence its missing from the picture), which has prevented me from lending it out. Something I recommend to anyone who is a fan of miyazaki and/or comics.

• jan svankmajer

(my avatar)

Ugh, just saw his newest film Lunacy. It's terrible. Only the animated parts are great although they are reworkings of the short he did for MTV.

Check out stuff by Trnka. His film The Hand is a must see.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

co sig, had to read one for a class, then read about 4 more directly following.

• cosine on the raoul servais. good stuff right there, as well as jan svankmajer (although that is stop motion).

additionally, i would reccomend the triplettes of belleville, as well as some stuff by topor's early collaborators, alejandro jodorowsky and fernando arrabal. cult epics recently released a box set of arrabal's stuff, ltd to 4000 copies, grab em now before they get too

• ok, i swear ive seen little nemo in slumberland animated cartoons from like the 1900s or something. am i crazy? that shit was awesome. the comics were nice too. anyways, animated "whackiness". i promise. that is, if it exists.

• check out NAUSICAA...

good for a 5 year old? This is in the previews to all other Studio Ghibli releases and my kid has been begging me to watch it, but I don't know, the trailers look a bit too intense. More intense than Mononoke?

• check out NAUSICAA...

good for a 5 year old? This is in the previews to all other Studio Ghibli releases and my kid has been begging me to watch it, but I don't know, the trailers look a bit too intense. More intense than Mononoke?

there's some freaky looking giant bug things in that flick. its not scary, but i dont know, kids might get nightmares off the freaky bug things.

how about totoro? this is by far my favorite miyazaki flick and is very kid friendly. or that kiki's delivery service is nice nice for the kids.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

brothers quay

Freakin' RULE! they RULE!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    check out NAUSICAA...

um... there's one part in the beginning that's suggested violence, but the rest is pretty much thinly veiled social commentary on ecology and preservation.

• She really like Kiki's Delivery Service, Pom Poko, and The Cat Returns, Pom Poko being her favourite (which surprised me because its so long). The only she hasn;t watched is Nausicca. I'll probably rent it, watch it without her and decide whether its appropriate for her, thanks for the info, and I'll look out for Totoro.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

yeah, i think that's the one, need to check it out.

Anyone seen Salad Fingers? That shit is wacked out in a delusional, psychotic, ether-huffing sort of way

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

how about totoro? this is by far my favorite miyazaki flick and is very kid friendly. or that kiki's delivery service is nice nice for the kids.

i like al lthe miyazaki's... Porco Rosso is my personal fave.

watched Pom Poco last week... racoons who can change shape and also inflate their scrotums into giant balloons...

needs to be seen to be believed!!!!

only miyazaki movie where he didnt create / write the story