HISTOIRE DU CINEMA (aka paging rape_donkey)

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
alright, so godard made this 4 hr doc about the history of cinema. anyone know anything about it? is it worth sitting through 2 days? if youre like a godard nut plaese to not respond cuz i already know your answer. i am not a big godard fan, and i honestly really need to be in a "mood" to watch arty films. so if any one is feelin_me on that, drop some info. boring? or great? thanks!

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    you'll think it's boring

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    alright, so godard made this 4 hr doc about the history of cinema. anyone know anything about it? is it worth sitting through 2 days? if youre like a godard nut plaese to not respond cuz i already know your answer. i am not a big godard fan, and i honestly really need to be in a "mood" to watch arty films. so if any one is feelin_me on that, drop some info. boring? or great? thanks!

The full version is waaay more than 4 hours - and I've sat through it firsthand; it's short snippets of cinema over the ages w/ Godard's typical musings... That said, it's Godard's personal masturbatory celebration of himself and his command of the language of cinema; he's been irrelevant since '68 and pulling Proust from his shelf to read an excerpt as part of the supercilious narrative does nothing to enable him to realize the Left Bank intellectualism that his patronizing persona so desperately desires... He enjoyed a pretty decent run 'til 'Weekend' - time to let it go... And being an stunted academic dilettante isn't the worst thing in the world, JL - although it's obvious that some therapy sessions are needed for him to work it out...