Critique My New Demo Mix

DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
In an attempt to get more club gigs, I updated my demo mix for the New Year. This is about as club oriented as I can go... had to drop a few raers in for good measure though. It's a full 80 minutes of old and new funk, soul, hip hop, b-boy breaks and more. A lot of blends in there as that's one of my 'things' I guess. I wish I could get some better scratches in there, but for some reason, I really suck at it as soon as I press the record button. Weird. Anyways, if you have a listen, lemme know what you think and if it's good enough to start taking around to some local places. DJ Ferrari 2006 Demo Mix DJ Ferrari

Comments

• i only had time to skim through it, but based on what i heard, i would suggest that if your goal is to get club gigs, you need to throw in A LOT more party joints...especially at the beginning. club owners only care about making money. unless you are promoting yourself as a dj spinning funk and raers for some type of "niche" night, the owners are not gonna see dollar signs with that mix. by the way, i'm not knocking your mix at all. i enjoyed the parts i listened to. i'm just answering your question about getting club gigs.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Yeah, I guess what I'm going for is in between the typical club gig and a raers night. I guess that itself might be a niche. I've thought about doing a separate demo that was strictly current club joints, but I figured I'd start with this type of demo first and see how it did. Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it.

DJ Ferrari

• i haven't even listened to it yet and i can second what dude already said.

if you are attempting to get a money gig, give them the money set. if you want a gig where you can play the music you prefer, start your own thing+promotion+nicespot+littleluck= maybe you'll see some money and have fun playing your own schitt.

I'm gonna bump this and blame the lack of interest on the site being down

DJ Ferrari

• Sounding solid so far I!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Really digging this I***! What up with that Ramp re-edit? Shit is

This is some shit I think you could put out as its own mix, but I think for demos you do kinda need to toe the line a little more with hits and all that. Here's a recent demo of mine made with some money gigs in mind:

Megamix

Thanks dudes... that RAMP re-edit is Sleeve - My Life on Frisco Records. Pretty dope for sure.

I should add that I'm not really looking for the money gigs. I got the money gig and that's as a software developer for Palm. I'm thinking more along the lines of lounges and bars or maybe even as an opener at a club or show. I'm pretty sure there's a market for this kind of stuff. It may be small, but that's fine with me. I'm only at the point now where I'm trying to take it from hobby to secondary career. If this was my primary career, I'd be more into the money gigs. I'd rather go for the few, small specialty gigs at this time. Word,

DJ Ferrari

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I got the money gig and that's as a software developer for Palm.

I hear you man, I know what you mean now, I definitely think you could break into that ish.

I just re-read my original post and realize it was a bit misleading. I guess I meant in an attempt to get more gigs instead of more club gigs. I got one this Saturday in San Jose so that's cool. Otherwise I'd be at your Elbo Room show for sure N*t

DJ Ferrari